Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

14 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Players have off days and deserve some personal space. Abreu has been nothing short of awesome with kids in any interaction I’ve ever seen at numerous SoxFests. I’ve met him a few times as well and he’s always very friendly. 

Yeah, these guys are people, like anybody else. We don't know what they are dealing with in terms of family, emotional issues, physical pain at any moment. We all have moments where we don't want to deal with people.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

in the NBA,  the players are guaranteed to get about 50% of all basketball related revenues.  It's in the CBA.

I have wondered about this, but how does that work in the NBA/NFL/NHL? Do players get something like dividends at the end of the year? I don't imagine it's just tied to salary cap increases, because I'm sure most teams aren't at the cap.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I will say one thing. It's wrong if pitchers and catchers report and these two guys haven't signed yet. They are looking at huge dollars no matter where they choose. They should sign and get to their teams. If they don't that's bullcrap.

I am sure the new contract will have an opt out for reporting to ST on time. 

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Yeah, these guys are people, like anybody else. We don't know what they are dealing with in terms of family, emotional issues, physical pain at any moment. We all have moments where we don't want to deal with people.

I have wondered about this, but how does that work in the NBA/NFL/NHL? Do players get something like dividends at the end of the year? I don't imagine it's just tied to salary cap increases, because I'm sure most teams aren't at the cap.

Mostly enacted through the salary floor that is dictated based off of revenues from the previous years (one of the reason there is a delay in FA in basketball is that is tabulated then the salary floor and cap is defined). If any one team employs players for less than the salary floor, they would pay a dividend to that teams players whatever the difference is. There actually may even be an end of year accounting to ensure it was hit that may get paid out to players if it wasn't.

The same for teams over the luxury tax, except that is paid out to other nba teams.

• Thanks 1

Good article from Jonah Keri on the Pads pursuit:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-padres-are-in-the-mix-for-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-will-they-strike-a-deal-or-fall-short/

In short, it's hard to see how it's not b.s., as they often cry wolf as a pursuing team, and this part that caulfield I think has brought up before

That article...did not go over well. The Padres blogosphere has already ablydissected the problems with ownership's supposed newfound transparency. The short version is this: The Padres have supposedly been drowning in debt for years, and even after the $68 million payout the team got from MLB's sale of Bamtech to Disney, the team was barely breaking even, and was thus unable to spend anything close to league average on player payroll. How this squares with supposed pursuits of Machado and Harper, or even the team's $144 million signing of Eric Hosmer last winter is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Look at the NBA, those superstars are now holding their teams hostage with trade requests...AD, Porzingis, Butler, Irving, etc.

The owners are making record profits and every year, less of that money is going to the players.  Are you going to ask them to sacrifice...if not, why should the players be the ones to give in?

If you were a schoolteacher on strike and you thought you deserved $30 per hour, would you readily accept going back to work for just $17.50?  And what about all those teachers coming after you who will be locked into lower salaries as well...because you were willing to settle for 42% less than what you’re worth in terms of historical production and your being only 26.

Not to be that guy but teachers truly are a dime a dozen whereas athletes like AD, Butler, Machado and Harper are the elite of the elite.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mostly enacted through the salary floor that is dictated based off of revenues from the previous years (one of the reason there is a delay in FA in basketball is that is tabulated then the salary floor and cap is defined). If any one team employs players for less than the salary floor, they would pay a dividend to that teams players whatever the difference is. There actually may even be an end of year accounting to ensure it was hit that may get paid out to players if it wasn't.

The same for teams over the luxury tax, except that is paid out to other nba teams.

Exactly.  The NBA is roughly 50%. It varies from 49-52 depending on how close to the cap the teams are.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Good article from Jonah Keri on the Pads pursuit:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-padres-are-in-the-mix-for-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-will-they-strike-a-deal-or-fall-short/

In short, it's hard to see how it's not b.s., as they often cry wolf as a pursuing team, and this part that caulfield I think has brought up before

How the hell are the Padres in debt?? 

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I agree, Manny Machado is a good school teacher.. wait. what?

I'll come back when he signs and we start putting together wish lists of remaining FA to sign and making hopeful future lineups.

You will come back every day and comment like you do every day even though every day you say you won't come back until "X" happens

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You will come back every day and comment like you do every day even though every day you say you won't come back until "X" happens

Yep there's too much time and energy put into this to walk away from it now. May as well see it through.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

To stoke the fires of #HatGate again, here is the Sox 2019 spring training cap. Note the red on one part, but not the patch on the correct side.

https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/chicago-white-sox-new-era-2019-spring-training-59fifty-fitted-hat-black/o-2354+t-25009778+p-70577443189+z-9-3570332620

image.png

That’s totally Manny’s logo, just upside down. The team is telegraphing their hand guys!!!

/green

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres