Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

3rd. I'd probably start the year off with Jay, Moncada, Machado 1-3

I'd go Moncada, Machado, Abreu, Eloy when the time came. I expect a significant drop in K's for Moncada if he's hitting ahead of those three instead of Yolmer and Avi

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Heyman is such an agent mouthpiece. It really gets old.  Also...Lozano got him in this mess by probably telling him 10/350 was realistic, so of course he isn't thrilled with reality. 

What mess exactly? Would he be getting more money if he demanded less?

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why does everyone have Jon Jay leading off in their mock lineups? He should not be getting more at-bats than Moncada or Anderson.

Because you have your guy with the highest OBP at the leadoff spot. and in 2018, that guy was Jon Jay. If Anderson and Moncada both start off hot, then yes, I would put those two at the top as I acknowledged in my mock lineup. Jay at the top is just how I start it. It could easily change to Anderson/Moncada or Moncada/Anderson 1-2.

Edited by soxfan2014

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Heyman is such an agent mouthpiece. It really gets old.  Also...Lozano got him in this mess by probably telling him 10/350 was realistic, so of course he isn't thrilled with reality. 

He definitely should be paid by Boras. But, if there is any truth to this, than it is more than likely Bruce Levine was right, and all the others that said the Sox are bidding at least $250 million are only insiders in their imaginations.

The other problem with this is it may make guys like Arenado more likely to sign an extension than not know where he will be playing a week or so before Spring Training. The White Sox better land one, because it won’t be easier in the future.

There will undoubtedly not be a better opportunity to sign a marquee FA in the foreseeable future for the White Sox. 

I’m glad no one seems to be forcing them to increase their bid, but if they need to step in and say “okay, now that you see there is no higher bid out there, let’s talk about a slightly higher number that will make you happy” in order to stop him from doing the pillow contract thing, then they need to get it f’n done. 

The only reason they’re even on this thing is that the stars have aligned in their favor. They cannot come away empty-handed. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why does everyone have Jon Jay leading off in their mock lineups? He should not be getting more at-bats than Moncada or Anderson.

Anderson has a lifetime OBP of 286 and was 281 last year.

Moncada has a lifetime of 318 and 315 last year

Jay has a 352 lifetime and a 330 last year

He will be on base more than either of those two next year. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anderson has a lifetime OBP of 286 and was 281 last year.

Moncada has a lifetime of 318 and 315 last year

Jay has a 352 lifetime and a 330 last year

He will be on base more than either of those two next year. 

The group think needs to decide whether we want to win as many games as possible in 2019, or develop talent for the future most effectively. Because giving Jon Jay more ABs than anyone else is not good for the latter. I'm also not sold it the best option for the former either.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

What mess exactly? Would he be getting more money if he demanded less?

Probably getting Machados hopes up and making anything less look like a dissapointment. If your agent is telling you 350 is realistic and you max out at 250, that would be a hard pill to swallow. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

There will undoubtedly not be a better opportunity to sign a marquee FA in the foreseeable future for the White Sox. 

I’m glad no one seems to be forcing them to increase their bid, but if they need to step in and say “okay, now that you see there is no higher bid out there, let’s talk about a slightly higher number that will make you happy” in order to stop him from doing the pillow contract thing, then they need to get it f’n done. 

The only reason they’re even on this thing is that the stars have aligned in their favor. They cannot come away empty-handed. 

This is pretty much how they feel. They can't afford to drop the ball with this. It's only going to get harder and probably significantly so from here. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres