Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, mqr said:

The group think needs to decide whether we want to win as many games as possible in 2019, or develop talent for the future most effectively. Because giving Jon Jay more ABs than anyone else is not good for the latter. 

1 AB a game? Plus, games where Jon Jay sits and those 2 could hypothetically be at the top together?

Just now, mqr said:

The group think needs to decide whether we want to win as many games as possible in 2019, or develop talent for the future most effectively. Because giving Jon Jay more ABs than anyone else is not good for the latter. 

This is true. But that was a rationale as why why he would be there, if he is in the lineup. I don't think 30 at bats will make that much difference in the development of Anderson or Moncada.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anderson has a lifetime OBP of 286 and was 281 last year.

Moncada has a lifetime of 318 and 315 last year

Jay has a 352 lifetime and a 330 last year

He will be on base more than either of those two next year. 

He will take some pitches also...and having Moncada going before Manny will put pressure on pitchers to throw fastballs. 1st inning at bats for Yoan will be great if Jay gets on base...since most pitchers lead fastball heavy until they establish the curves/sliders. Fear of Manny will increase Moncada's FB rate by at least 15-20% in the first inning...and we know what Yoan can do with a FB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

He will take some pitches also...and having Moncada going before Manny will put pressure on pitchers to throw fastballs. 1st inning at bats for Yoan will be great if Jay gets on base...since most pitchers lead fastball heavy until they establish the curves/sliders. Fear of Manny will increase Moncada's FB rate by at least 15-20% in the first inning...and we know what Yoan can do with a FB.

Already mentioned this, but sticking Eloy and and Machado behind Moncada alone will drop his K rate 3-4% if I had to bet. 

32 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Even ignoring that Jay is aged, that his numbers declined last year and might decline further, it's wrong to assume he will get on base at a higher clip than Moncada. In a year that was pretty bad for him and his expectations, Yoan still got on base at a clip of only .015 lower than Jay. If he improves a hair, he's beating Jay. And I don't even want Moncada batting leadoff.

• Like 2

It doesn't work great for lineup construction, but I would be kind of tempted to just let Yoan bat in a place that doesn't put unnecessary pressure on him or require him to think too much at the plate.  

Just stick him in the 6th or 7th spot against RHP and 7th or 8th against LHP and just let him hit without worrying about that things that come with being a leadoff hitter or batting in the 2 hole.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

4 months ago NO ONE thought that was out of line.

No one thought that was out of line because that's what these media guys kept wanting you to think. These guys are advertising for agents in the hopes they hype their guys and get paid. 

50 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Jon Jay isn't part of the future of this team. Anderson and Moncada are, so I think they should get as many at-bats as possible even if their OBP% is lower. That's my point.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It doesn't work great for lineup construction, but I would be kind of tempted to just let Yoan bat in a place that doesn't put unnecessary pressure on him or require him to think too much at the plate.  

Just stick him in the 6th or 7th spot against RHP and 7th or 8th against LHP and just let him hit without worrying about that things that come with being a leadoff hitter or batting in the 2 hole.  

He might be a better 2 slot hitter as much as he likes to take pitches.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He might be a better 2 slot hitter as much as he likes to take pitches.

Long term, I agree.  But for now, he needs to learn to be more aggressive.  I think putting him in the 2 hole may cause him to think too much right now.  We just need him to see ball, and when in zone, swing at ball.  Back to the basics.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Long term, I agree.  But for now, he needs to learn to be more aggressive.  I think putting him in the 2 hole may cause him to think too much right now.  We just need him to see ball, and when in zone, swing at ball.  Back to the basics.  

But putting him in front of better hitters will result in more balls in the zone

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Even ignoring that Jay is aged, that his numbers declined last year and might decline further, it's wrong to assume he will get on base at a higher clip than Moncada. In a year that was pretty bad for him and his expectations, Yoan still got on base at a clip of only .015 lower than Jay. If he improves a hair, he's beating Jay. And I don't even want Moncada batting leadoff.

Only going on last year.  Jay had a better OBP.

41 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Jon Jay isn't part of the future of this team. Anderson and Moncada are, so I think they should get as many at-bats as possible even if their OBP% is lower. That's my point.

I understand the point. However, the 30 or so at bats that Anderson or Moncada will be deprived won't make much of a difference. As the lineup stands, the Sox have too many #9 hitters so Jay needs to be somewhere else in the lineup.

18 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Okay, because you said "next year." I don't think Yoan is going to have a rough a year as he did in 2018, and I think his OBP will be considerably higher than Jay's.

Possible. I think based on each if their histories that Jay will have the higher OBP next year.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Possible. I think based on each if their histories that Jay will have the higher OBP next year.

Agree to disagree here. It took Moncada hitting .235 for him to put up an OBP 15 points lower than Jay. I don't think he will win any batting titles, but Yoan will improve on that average. The only way I see anyone predicting Jay to get on base more is either expecting a fluke fountain-of-youth type season from him or just thinking in general that Yoan is a bust and won't improve over his age 23 season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Guys, Jon Jay is not a productive big league ballplayer. Anderson and Moncada are productive. I know you don' t care about KC fans but they laugh at the mention of Jon Jay. Suffice it to say he was Juan Pierre-like, Dwyane Wise-like in terms of what fans thought of him here. My hope is he is a good influence with his pal, Manny, but gets less than 200 at bats. You tell me why Jon Jay should even beat out Engel?

Maybe if Engel didn't look like he was swinging a bat for the first time ever, we would view him differently.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres