Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We’ve had more ban bets in the last year than in the preceding decade...where is this online machismo coming from?

I'm going to play the old guy here. When you have young males arguing topics, all the idealism and testosterone of the invincibility of youth arises. When you get old you get practical, realize your vulnerability and lose some of the aggression. You realize that in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't  matter and it takes a big part of the bravado away. Unfortunately,  it takes getting old to get to that point.

So for all the young bucks, carry on.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Haha! Take it easy man! It was a joke. Sorry I made fun of your precious sources. You hurt me by refusing to give us any new information from your super secret sources! Selfish

Sorry I have a highly fueled drug addiction and i tend to lash out at the ones i love the most. Sorry to make you a victim of my crippling depression.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think you're being way too negative here. Really the only guy who has come to the show and disappointed a bit is Moncada. And he has time to right the ship. We all wish we would of seen more by now. But personally I still love his potential.

Giolito was already considered damaged goods a bit when the trade happened. We all heard about how Washington was down on him. This trade wouldn't of happened if he was still at the peak of his value. From a Sox standpoint, comparing him to his former top prospect status just isn't the correct way to approach this. Maybe it's disappointing that Coop has been unable to get more out of him. It is what it is.

I think you're being way too hard on Rutherford. Some guys take longer to develop. Let's see what he shows this year. There was talk of his body filling out over the winter, which is exactly what we needed to happen.

Collins - yeah his star isn't shining quite so bright like it was when he was drafted. I wouldn't call him a non-prospect, just one who is starting to fade. He needs to have a good year in 2019.

Your comments about none mean anything until they prove it at the MLB level. Well that's case with all prospects. I'm not sure why you even said that. This whole discussion spun out of you seemingly agreeing with the Sox being the 13th rated farm system. Guys like Robert, Adolfo, Madigrel,Dunning and Cease - we should be excited about them.  These guys have good potential. Some of them will bomb out. Hopefully a few won't.

From a logic standpoint I don't disagree with anything you've said here. I guess the reason why I'm down on some of these guys is that they play in the Sox system. They haven't developed a decent position player since Crede. I have hope for everyone on that list except Collins, but they're going to have to start developing some of their own guys before I give them the benefit of the doubt. Most of the past decade is fresh in my mind, and I can't let go of their MiLB failures until they start developing players of their own. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

40 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Or Machado Madness, in nod to the Macho Man.

Also, if we sign Machado, I think we need a "Machado Man" cheering section of people dressed like the Village people. Minus the assless chaps.

"Manny Machado, after signing his record breaking deal with the White Sox, and playing exactly one game with the franchise, has demanded a trade.  More at 10."

• Haha 1

On a phone reboot all the sudden the mlb at bat push notifications came through a bunch last night. Basically 4-5 articles about harper / machado all about how he should not take his top offer now, or a list of teams that should make a big move that left off the sox. I turned off push notifications after that.

Just now, bmags said:

On a phone reboot all the sudden the mlb at bat push notifications came through a bunch last night. Basically 4-5 articles about harper / machado all about how he should not take his top offer now, or a list of teams that should make a big move that left off the sox. I turned off push notifications after that.

Yeah, it pisses me off. I don't have the ESPN app because ESPN blows. I wish the MLB app could just give me actual news. Not only official signings, because we'd likely find out that he signed a day or more before it's officially announced. But if Rosenthal is reporting Manny signed, I want to know. If Will Leitch wrote an article speculating if the Padres could sign Manny and Harper, I *don't* want to be notified of that.

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

Yeah, it pisses me off. I don't have the ESPN app because ESPN blows. I wish the MLB app could just give me actual news. Not only official signings, because we'd likely find out that he signed a day or more before it's officially announced. But if Rosenthal is reporting Manny signed, I want to know. If Will Leitch wrote an article speculating if the Padres could sign Manny and Harper, I *don't* want to be notified of that.

Totally this.  I keep the notifications on for trade news and final scores.  But now they have decide to start pushing speculative stories.  I am about ready to turn it off until the season starts.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Totally this.  I keep the notifications on for trade news and final scores.  But now they have decide to start pushing speculative stories.  I am about ready to turn it off until the season starts.

Like everything else, all good things have to be made bad. MLB Network was great the first few years, then they started pushing NYY/BOS/Cubs/LA as much as ESPN. The MLB app was great, but now it has to create "content." One of my first experiences with this foolishness was 5 or so years back, in Jim Harbaugh's last year with the 49ers. I got a notification from the NFL app of "Locker room discontent? Rumors of team revolting against Harbaugh." I was shocked. I'm thinking "isn't this the official league app which is supposed to deal in actual news? It's running with rumors?" But that's how everything is today. And of course, it comes from the mainstream news, which time and again steps on rakes by running with soon-debunked stories in the efforts to be the first to report it. All about dem clicks.

Edited by Roughneck
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Collins is going to end up a platoon catcher.  Start him against righties and get a backup that can start the other 40 games of the year against starting left handed pitchers. 

Rutherford had a very solid season last year.  

In 3 season he has a .286 BA and he doesn't strike out much. So he has been pretty solid all 3 years. He hasn't shown any  power but that could come as he works his way up. 

11 hours ago, IowaPG said:

Hey brother you wanna meet up in person and hash it out? Dont know how I hurt you?  These little jabs are annoying . dont know if your balls are still shriveled up from the -25 weather or your lack of a back bone hides you behind your computer. Wasnt your fault your father left, your ma was just too busy free lancing 

Wow. This is what this thread has devolved into? I guess I’ll stay away until someone signs. 

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

In 3 season he has a .286 BA and he doesn't strike out much. So he has been pretty solid all 3 years. He hasn't shown any  power but that could come as he works his way up. 

The interesting point Getz made is that his exit velocity is around the highest in the organization, and his launch angle is increasing.  Putting those two things together, Rutherford, who is already a solid hit tool, could explode into his power at any moment, as the underlying factors are already there.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The interesting point Getz made is that his exit velocity is around the highest in the organization, and his launch angle is increasing.  Putting those two things together, Rutherford, who is already a solid hit tool, could explode into his power at any moment, as the underlying factors are already there.

He will definitely be an interesting guy to follow this year.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know "best shape of their lives" stories and beckham and all, but Gets gave some very specific info on Rutherford and Fulmer changes that could be easy to verify in spring so I'm looking forward to it.

I only take it as a fluff piece if it's a major leaguer who has struggled the season (or two or three; think Beckham, Garcia etc) prior to the Spring Training the story is being written.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres