Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know "best shape of their lives" stories and beckham and all, but Gets gave some very specific info on Rutherford and Fulmer changes that could be easy to verify in spring so I'm looking forward to it.

I like that it is data driven, and not a how much weight he lost type of story.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I like that it is data driven, and not a how much weight he lost type of story.

On the other hand he's also described as noticeably bigger, so that angle is still there! 

But while people like Y2Jimmy say Sheets hits bombs in batting practice, have never heard his power even translated to that setting. So if he's getting higher marks there, even if it doesn't translate into game power immediately, that will be improvement.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

On the other hand he's also described as noticeably bigger, so that angle is still there! 

Prospects putting on (good) weight isn't a nothing story like it may be with a MLB guy, as growth is an important part of, well, growth.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Someone smarter than me please explain how this is an advantage for the Sox. I thought our leverage was that we were able to add him long term for big dollars and other teams would be happy to add him for a short term deal?

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Someone smarter than me please explain how this is an advantage for the Sox. I thought our leverage was that we were able to add him long term for big dollars and other teams would be happy to add him for a short term deal?

I had the exact same question. No idea how that could be an advantage. Maybe because Phil thinks Machado would be more willing to sign with us right now because then he could just opt out and chase the yankees dream a few years down the road, but that still isn't an advantage

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

They must believe that the market for him is non-existent and figure they don't have to go nuts with dollars to get him. It's definitely a gamble but whatever at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I'm not sure either how that is an advantage to the Sox.  If anticipated changes to the CBA make it more likely that Manny would opt out after a couple years and re-enter free agency, I'm not sure why he wouldn't then be more willing to sign a shorter term deal with the Yankees or other high profile destination.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm not sure either how that is an advantage to the Sox.  If anticipated changes to the CBA make it more likely that Manny would opt out after a couple years and re-enter free agency, I'm not sure why he wouldn't then be more willing to sign a shorter term deal with the Yankees or other high profile destination.

Because theoretically with the White Sox he'd get the best of both worlds, he'd have a long term guarantee if for whatever reason the market crashes for him (injury, he suddenly sucks, etc...) but if he continues to be great and the CBA remedies whatever is depressing the market he can opt out and be a free agent again or, if all is going well here, have the Sox re-do the backend of his deal. 

The advantage to the Sox would be to get him signed, not necessarily keep him long-term. 

Edited by SoxFan562004

2 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

The advantage to the Sox would be to get him signed, not necessarily keep him long-term. 

Isn’t keeping him longer than one or two years the goal here? It doesn’t the whitesox no good to let him sign for an opt out after 2019 if they aren’t really planning on competing until 2020 and even then you may not fully be ready to win it all until 2021. To me it defeats the purpose of bringing him in then.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres