Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Has everyone here carefully considered the consequence of reducing the service time required for players to achieve free agent status? Those who assume that such a move will result in better contracts for players, should reconsider and study the history of free agency. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. Marvin Miller understood the principle, and shrewdly negotiated one of the most significant elements of free agency:

"In July 1976, the union and management agreed on limitations to free agency: a player would need six years of major league service before he could seek a deal with another club. That accord seemed like a concession Mr. Miller did not need to make. But he concluded that limiting the stream of free agents would fuel the ball clubs’ bidding wars."

Edited by Lillian

I don't think they get rid of the 6 years of control. All of the rebuilding teams will be deadset against it, otherwise they would have to watch their budding stars walk away in the next year. Plus baseball players take a lot longer to be ready compared to other sports.

That said, I would love to see them do arbitration in years 2 and 3, and then a 3 year restricted free agency period. The team still has control, but the market can force them to pay the player a real salary.

Edited by gusguyman

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Of the probable outcomes, this is one of my favorites. Teams still get control, but players get much closer to their level of contribution. The only thing is that the arbitration process would also have to be changed. So much of it is still based on old school stat comparisons that it doesn't fully represent a player's contribution. This could also hopefully help free agents because if the cost of the team controlled players is higher, then the marginal cost of signing a free agent is less.

The arbitration  process is based on whatever the agent and team present to the arbitration panel.  It's not based on any specific  thing. Each side presents their case and numbers and the panel decide whose case is better. 

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The arbitration  process is based on whatever the agent and team present to the arbitration panel.  It's not based on any specific  thing. Each side presents their case and numbers and the panel decide whose case is better. 

Yes, but you can present every advanced statistic known to man but it won't help if the panel doesn't understand them.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-fix-mlbs-salary-arbitration-system-the-arbitrators/

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Has everyone here carefully considered the consequence of reducing the service time required for players to achieve free agent status? Those who assume that such a move will result in better contracts for players, should reconsider and study the history of free agency. It is a simple matter of supply and demand. Marvin Miller understood the principle, and shrewdly negotiated one of the most significant elements of free agency:

"In July 1976, the union and management agreed on limitations to free agency: a player would need six years of major league service before he could seek a deal with another club. That accord seemed like a concession Mr. Miller did not need to make. But he concluded that limiting the stream of free agents would fuel the ball clubs’ bidding wars."

I think restricted free agents for players in years 4-6 would work. Similar to the way hockey does it:

What makes a restricted free agent different?

Unlike an unrestricted free agent who can either re-sign with their current team or test the open market and go elsewhere, restricted free agents are tied down unless a team allows them to become an unrestricted free agent.

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

1. First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  2. Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  3. Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.
  4. Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

I don't think they get rid of the 6 years of control. All of the rebuilding teams will be deadset against it, otherwise they would have to watch their budding stars walk away in the next year. Plus baseball players take a lot longer to be ready compared to other sports.

That said, I would love to see them do arbitration in years 2 and 3, and then a 3 year restricted free agency period. The team still has control, but the market can force them to pay the player a real salary.

If you had four years of control, say two years pre-arb and two years of arbitration, I could see there being more 5-7 year deals that are currently deemed "team friendly" deals signed before a player's debut and maybe after their rookie year. 

29 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Hector has quadrupled down that the White Sox have the best chances. I don’t see someone fairly new risking their reputation for nothing.

And Hector is a reporter based in the Dominican Republic (Manny’s home town) so not unreasonable that he may have a direct connection in the Machado family/camp.

I believe Hector more than J. Michael

2 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Yes, but you can present every advanced statistic known to man but it won't help if the panel doesn't understand them.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-fix-mlbs-salary-arbitration-system-the-arbitrators/

That's neglect on the arbitrators part if they don't research the material given to them. Every one of them should be disbarred if they don't.

The article states that no one knows the reasons for the decisions as they are not disclosed. So the assumption that the arbitrators don't understand the stats is a little condescending to them.

Edited by ptatc

9 minutes ago, heirdog said:

And Hector is a reporter based in the Dominican Republic (Manny’s home town) so not unreasonable that he may have a direct connection in the Machado family/camp.

Same here. He has no White Sox ties and the White Sox fan base isn’t one to pander too if you want a huge following. He could have easily said the Yankees are still in it and had hubdreds of twitter users praising him. At the very least, he believes what he is reporting.

12 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Information flow has been so bizarre this winter. Not sure of it is people trying to adjust to the new realities of free agency,  or people trying to fill information voids, but it is telling when even someone like Rick Hahn sounds confused by how things have gone. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres