Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

50 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think some version of the contract has a level that is 7 for 175 at one point, but I think olney/nightengale were way too definitive on the contract and that it was in stasis. 

Or not, but I don't trust lozano as far as I can throw him.

Sox have played this well. I really have my doubts about late suitors coming in and being willing to hand out a +$200 million contract this late in the offseason if they were not heavily planning on adding Machado/Harper at the start of free agency. Contracts like that need to be planned for. 

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox have played this well. I really have my doubts about late suitors coming in and being willing to hand out a +$200 million contract this late in the offseason if they were not heavily planning on adding Machado/Harper at the start of free agency. Contracts like that need to be planned for. 

I agree. The problem is either the White Sox are offering what Olney is saying, or even with all his friends, Manny really would rather play somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. The problem is either the White Sox are offering what Olney is saying, or even with all his friends, Manny really would rather play somewhere else.

I'm telling you, if Manny had in his head the last several years that he's going to get a $300 mil contract, that could be the holdup here. I don't think the Sox are at $175m, as WSD and our people with connections laughed at that report. But even a deal at $225 or $250 mil is not enough if Manny has a $300 million number in his head. He'll eventually have to take less, but he's not eager to do so.

We had several reports of Manny wanting $300 million, the first team to get to $300 mil gets him, etc. I think at this point that's his "buy it now" price and it's an important number for him, even if it looks apparent that he's not going to reach it.

Edited by Roughneck
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I'm telling you, if Manny had in his head the last several years that he's going to get a $300 mil contract, that could be the holdup here. I don't think the Sox are at $175m, as WSD and our people with connections laughed at that report. But even a deal at $225 or $250 mil is not enough if Manny has a $300 million number in his head. He'll eventually have to take less, but he's not eager to do so.

We had several reports of Manny wanting $300 million, the first team to get to $300 mil gets him, etc. I think at this point that's his "buy it now" price and it's an important number for him, even if it looks apparent that he's not going to reach it.

7/210 w mutual option for 8th year and $35 mill.  So 8/245 and the team options only for 9th and 10th years at $35 million or $5 million buy out.  Boom, 8/250 or 10/315

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

We know he would rather play somewhere else, New York.

57 minutes ago, heirdog said:

7/210 w mutual option for 8th year and $35 mill.  So 8/245 and the team options only for 9th and 10th years at $35 million or $5 million buy out.  Boom, 8/250 or 10/315

But the mutual option part is always tricky. If he's still good enough where the Sox still want him at $35 mil a year, he's going to be good enough to opt-out so he can get a contract with the next 2 years guaranteed, rather than the possibility of the Sox dumping him after year 8 for $5 mil. I don't know Machado's line of thinking, but I don't know that the mutual option would have any impact there. Still, I think you're on the right track.

13 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

But the mutual option part is always tricky. If he's still good enough where the Sox still want him at $35 mil a year, he's going to be good enough to opt-out so he can get a contract with the next 2 years guaranteed, rather than the possibility of the Sox dumping him after year 8 for $5 mil. I don't know Machado's line of thinking, but I don't know that the mutual option would have any impact there. Still, I think you're on the right track.

Agree.  No-brainer for white Sox as it gives them essentially 7 year contract that they prefer with shared / less risk in the out years.  If I’m the Sox, I don’t mind renegotiating at year 8 as it will be a new or established core and see what we have in younger players...a lot might have changed.  

Gives Manny pause as he prob wants 10 years / $300 mill+ guaranteed...it’s just not there.  So this gives him 7-8 years with potential to earn more with performance (either w Sox or as a FA if he is still a stud at 34)

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks.  This may sound dumb, but I’d rather give Manny 8/$280M w/ an opt-out after four year and a swell-opt that can push it to five years by exercising an option than go 7/$210M but give him a straight opt-out after two.  Given where we are in our rebuild, pay the fucking premium and buy an extra year or two of guaranteed control.

That doesn't sound "dumb" at all, to me. I agree with you that the contract should ideally be structured in such a way that we retain him for at least 4 and preferably 5 years. After that, I might actually prefer that he opted out, which would ultimately reduce the total effective cost of the contract. How about something like this?: The first 5 years at $40 Million, per year and the last 3 at $25 Million, per year, for a total of $275 million. That should be enough for him to sign, in a heart beat.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That doesn't sound "dumb" at all, to me. I agree with you that the contract should ideally be structured in such a way that we retain him for at least 4 and preferably 5 years. After that, I might actually prefer that he opted out, which would ultimately reduce the total effective cost of the contract. How about something like this?: The first 5 years at $40 Million, per year and the last 3 at $25 Million, per year, for a total of $275 million. That should be enough for him to sign, in a heart beat.

This is nice because it allows a softening of the total payroll to pay Eloy, Kopech and Moncada if they all hit on being great players. 

43 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't think Machado ends up getting more than $250 million at the end of the day. Max offers will be 7-8 years, topping out around 240 - 250 if I had to guess. 

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea makes sense, but the numbers don't.  Why would one year add $40 million, but two years $60 million?

It would add it over the remaining 6-7 years of the deal. I guess it would depend on  which one Machado agrees to? Also, the 40M is to keep the term down. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, shipps said:

This whole Manny watch was kinda fun about 40 days ago...

Remember early in the offseason how all of the mania was about Harper? 

Technically we are still in on Harper, but everything shifted to Machado mid December or so

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres