Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sure, but within white sox fans, casual fans pay attention to what hardcore sox fans pay attention to. The idea that a casual fan doesn't know that sox are trying to get one of the best players in the league I'm not very convinced of.

It's the offseason, was during football season, and the media hasn't been beating the drum of "this is a huge deal" as they would if it was the Cubs with Harper. Honestly, other than message boarders and people following a bunch of Sox-related accounts on twitter, I'm guessing most people aren't following and will either find out when they hear screams of joy or anger coming from the diehard portion of the fan base.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sure, but within white sox fans, casual fans pay attention to what hardcore sox fans pay attention to. The idea that a casual fan doesn't know that sox are trying to get one of the best players in the league I'm not very convinced of.

I don't think that's true at all, but maybe we are thinking on different levels of what we consider fandom.

But either way, how many of those casual fans even knew that Manny Machado was one of the best players in the league until the hardcore fan told him?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don't think that's true at all, but maybe we are thinking on different levels of what we consider fandom.

But either way, how many of those casual fans even knew that Manny Machado was one of the best players in the league until the hardcore fan told him?

Who even cares about someone's baseball opinions who doesn't know that Machado is one of the best players in the league.  Its a worthless opinion.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who even cares about someone's baseball opinions who doesn't know that Machado is one of the best players in the league.  Its a worthless opinion.  

They're the bulk of the paying customers

Edited by mqr

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They buy tickets, so their opinions are quite literally the opposite of worthless.

Your gatekeeping, OTOH, is worthless.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Honestly I think it's more likely based off of the people I know that they are aware sox are going after some big free agents and may not know much about either. 

9 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

They buy tickets, so their opinions are quite literally the opposite of worthless.

Your gatekeeping, OTOH, is worthless.

I was moreso referring to a discussion about fan and fan interaction regarding Machado.  If they don't know how good the guy is, their opinion on the matter is rather worthless.  Obviously the common fans opinion is valuable to the organization itself.

Not sure how you categorized that as gatekeeping, but whatever.  

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I talked to my guy and he said he doesn't think anything is happening today or tomorrow, at least in regards to them needing security for any announcement.

Please only report back when it fits into the narrative we want. Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I talked to my guy and he said he doesn't think anything is happening today or tomorrow, at least in regards to them needing security for any announcement.

the guy that posted the security blurb has since deleted that tweet, fyi

Just now, fathom said:

the guy that posted the security blurb has since deleted that tweet, fyi

Let’s be honest, the security blurb never made any sense.  The real smoke is coming from Gomez.  His confidence is growing at a rapid pace and this Jordan tweet truly makes me think something is close to happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres