Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, steveno89 said:

That would make for a hell of an offseason for Philly

Agreed.  Then the Sox would be all "alone" in bids for Machado.   

Also, some teams like the Padres may settle for Marwin Gonzalez, Moose, and other 2nd tier players since they are most likely be willing to sign a contract today if something worth while came along.   If these players sign first , teams will pull out of the Machado/Harper sweepstakes.  

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

Agreed.  Then the Sox would be all "alone" in bids for Machado.   

Also, some teams like the Padres may settle for Marwin Gonzalez, Moose, and other 2nd tier players since they are most likely be willing to sign a contract today if something worth while came along.   If these players sign first , teams will pull out of the Machado/Harper sweepstakes.  

And I only said Padres because they are one of the mystery teams.  

I don’t think there’s any collusion whatsoever.  It’s a free market that just got fucked with by instituting an aggressively penalizing luxury tax PLUS some of the big spenders don’t necessarily NEED to enter huge-tax-land to win this year. 

It’s just a perfect storm and i hope the Sox reap the benefits.  

3 hours ago, Tony said:

From a pure business perspective, I don’t know why you wouldn’t employ this approach. As fans it sucks we have had to play this waiting game, but given this market, this seems the right thing to do. 

And if they strike out on Machado, they deserve all the criticism in the world. Tough business to be in. 

This.

This is really all there is to it.  Hahn and Jerry have played this correctly, but man it has been a tough process to follow for the die hards.  And if they do ultimately get outbid, they only have themselves to blame. 

17 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I've been saying this will drag into the regular season for a while now.

I don't think you're wrong, and I think what is going to end up happening is that they're both going to sign a 1-year deal sometime in May, and go at it again next offseason. 

Edit: Laugh all you wan't people, but they won't sign long term for less than $300M. I think they'd rather take a 1-year deal and go at it again next year than sign something ridiculous to them like 7/175. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think you're wrong, and I think what is going to end up happening is that they're both going to sign a 1-year deal sometime in May, and go at it again next offseason. 

Teams will line up around the block to pay Sale, Cole and Bumgarner and I think that could there wont be enough left over for Machado, Harper and Arenado. The Yankees and Red Sox are gearing up for a massive bidding war over Sale in particular. There seems to be a general attitude that position players are not difficult to develop whereas pitchers are near-impossible in comparison.

Clayton Kershaw going into his age-31 season after a few years of being seriously hobbled by injury got 3 years, $93 million without even having to negotiate. Meanwhile two 26 year-old star position players cant even get squads to make formal offers. I look at everything going on and think that everything we thought we knew about baseball is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I believe there is a universe where the White Sox sign Machado to a one-year contract, as Parkman said, then turn around to break the bank for Harper on a massive long-term deal.

Stay in this universe, Parkman is a bit drama 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Edit: Laugh all you wan't people, but they won't sign long term for less than $300M. I think they'd rather take a 1-year deal and go at it again next year than sign something ridiculous to them like 7/175. 

They won't sign to 1 year deals. Nothing will change from now to next off season in terms of how the market is going to operate. By signing a year deal, they will be risking injury or a down season. Also, their agents won't let that happen.  If two of the biggest agents in baseball allow their top players to not get a good deal and let them sign 1 year deals because they were unable to produce a contract for them, that would look awful for them in terms of business.  Why would any other player hire them as their agent when those two top agents can't produce for the leagues premier talent? The less talented players wouldn't sign with these two agents who take bigger %'s out of their contracts to get an outcome that any other agent can get.

A one year deal will not happen. The market won't change next year, there is too much risk involved, their agents, and their agents ego will not allow these two generational talents to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

And why would $300 million be available next year?

4 minutes ago, palehose05 said:

They won't sign to 1 year deals. Nothing will change from now to next off season in terms of how the market is going to operate. By signing a year deal, they will be risking injury or a down season. Also, their agents won't let that happen.  If two of the biggest agents in baseball allow their top players to not get a good deal and let them sign 1 year deals because they were unable to produce a contract for them, that would look awful for them in terms of business.  Why would any other player hire them as their agent when those two top agents can't produce for the leagues premier talent? The less talented players wouldn't sign with these two agents who take bigger %'s out of their contracts to get an outcome that any other agent can get.

A one year deal will not happen. The market won't change next year, there is too much risk involved, their agents, and their agents ego will not allow these two generational talents to do it.

Do you know what does change though? The Yankees and Cubs lose a lot of payroll. That could make all of the difference for those guys. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres