Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes they do. I grew up in the Western Suburbs and it was split pretty much evenly - Oak Park/River Forest area. The South Suburbs are Sox heavy and the North Suburbs are Cubs heavy. The Cubs have a further reaching fanbase - ie, they have central illinois with the cardinals, iowa, and northern illinois/southern wisco. Their reach goes further, but in the immediate Chicagoland area, the Sox are nearly evenly split. 47/53 is pretty accurate imo, unless you want to produce a study that refutes that point... or you can just stick to pointless first hand experience to draw erroneous conclusions if you prefer that.

All of the things from that study did us Cook county not the suburbs. I disagree with your individual points as well. All of the south suburbs around me are heavily Cub fans to the point the Sox fans cheer each other when we find one.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes they do. I grew up in the Western Suburbs and it was split pretty much evenly - Oak Park/River Forest area. The South Suburbs are Sox heavy and the North Suburbs are Cubs heavy. The Cubs have a further reaching fanbase - ie, they have central illinois with the cardinals, iowa, and northern illinois/southern wisco. Their reach goes further, but in the immediate Chicagoland area, the Sox are nearly evenly split. 47/53 is pretty accurate imo, unless you want to produce a study that refutes that point... or you can just stick to pointless first hand experience to draw erroneous conclusions if you prefer that.

I’m also from Oak Park. Was really heavily split in my era of growing up (80s and 90s)

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

All of the things from that study did us Cook county not the suburbs. I disagree with your individual points as well. All of the south suburbs around me are heavily Cub fans to the point the Sox fans cheer each other when we find one.

Exactly. It is rare to find a Sox fan in the Burbs. When you do, that guy might become a friend very quickly. Even in the early and late 90s when I was a kid you could count the number of Sox fans in your grade on two hands. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

The Cubs bandwagon blew up the south suburbs. Even places that used to be very Sox-fan heavy like Oak Forest and Midlothian seem to have more and more Cubs fans.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

The Cubs bandwagon blew up the south suburbs. Even places that used to be very Sox-fan heavy like Oak Forest and Midlothian seem to have more and more Cubs fans.

Especially since the world series win.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Exactly. It is rare to find a Sox fan in the Burbs. When you do, that guy might become a friend very quickly. Even in the Early and Late 90s when I was a kid you could count the number of Sox fans in your grade on two hands. 

Rare to find a Sox fan in the suburbs?  That is just ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

False. Kane, DuPage, McHenry and Lake are all heavy Cub areas. The only Sox heavy are outside of Cook County is Will County. 

Dude, you can go to the map. It's right there. Just so you know, there are a lot of counties that the Sox are leading the Cubs according to that study. Cook County is a pretty big one to be right there for too.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox were 29th in baseball in TV viewership over the last 5 years. I don't know what you're talking about. 

29th in ratings; ratings are based on population. No one watched games because their horrible, yet their TV contracts are still substantially larger than the teams you listed so networks much know something. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Exactly. It is rare to find a Sox fan in the Burbs. When you do, that guy might become a friend very quickly. Even in the early and late 90s when I was a kid you could count the number of Sox fans in your grade on two hands. 

That's isn't true at all.  I grew up in carol stream and Batavia and there were plenty of Sox fans and we went to a lot of games.   When Sammy blew up it got a little out of whack but there were a lot of suburban white Sox fans

1 minute ago, mqr said:

That's quite the assumption. 

And Eloy and Cease have zero to do with that anyway. 

Chapman was huge for them in the playoffs. I get that you hate the Cubs and all, but that shouldn't blind you from reality. The Cubs don't win without Chapman. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

I don't think JR is a "victim" at all, and didn't paint him as such. Listen, right or wrong at some point money could reach a point where it becomes "stupid." That is a fact. My point simply was if someone was to offer Machado "stupid money" and the Sox decided they were "out" on Machado, they would still receive flak for it, and rightfully so. That was my whole point. You're reading WAY too much into me even coming close to defending ownership. I'm not. 

Thanks. I'm not defending ownership either, as revenue sharing dollars are ridiculous. The fact remains that the Cubs print money and the Sox don't. Ever wonder why? There are a lot more fans of that other team than the Sox. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Chapman was huge for them in the playoffs. I get that you hate the Cubs and all, but that shouldn't blind you from reality. The Cubs don't win without Chapman. 

Get to the world series? or win the workd series?

I thought he was overused and gassed then

Edited by Ben Waffleson

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Yes, nobody else could have put up a 3.54 and 3.86 ERA in the last two series of the postseason. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is one argument, the other is to say "fuck the future, we'll deal with it when it comes" Go get the best players now to maximize the window and if they have to pay the piper down the road, so be it. See the Blackhawks with Keith and Seabrook. Players come and go, championship banners fly forever. Remember that when (hopefully) the Sox start trading prospects for proven talent. 

You’re simplifying this way too much. Do you really think Cubs are going to deplete their team even more to add a superstar? Who do they have left to trade that they can afford to move? Contreras? Who becomes their catcher then? Almora/Happ? Who plays center? Schwarber? They aren’t going to create two holes to fill one (that doesn’t even appear to be a hole to begin with). With everything the Cubs would need to do in order to add Harper, it doesn’t make them a better team, AND it hurts their future. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rare to find a Sox fan in the suburbs?  That is just ridiculous.

The comments in this thread are just factually inaccurate. 

The city is not split as is being portrayed. The Sox are not a small market team. Their fanbase is larger than 90% of teams in baseball. Oak Park is one of the largest suburbs in the CHicagoland area, and it's split, so to say you don't see Sox fans in suburbs is just categorically wrong. If you are using gear seen to judge - people wear less gear when the team sucks.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

He had one big game for them, and that was game 5 of WS.  Besides that, he was bad. Come on, he made Conor look like a crusher.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's isn't true at all.  I grew up in carol stream and Batavia and there were plenty of Sox fans and we went to a lot of games.   When Sammy blew up it got a little out of whack but there were a lot of suburban white Sox fans

Hahaha. I went to grade school in Batavia and I grew up most of my life in Elgin. Sammy blew up around 95-96 or so and that is when I started playing little league and paying attention to stuff. The only reason I'm a Sox fan is because my dad grew up in Bridgeport and hates the Cubs with a passion. 

The White Sox are a very capable and profitable business. They have been dreadful at winning baseball games but they definitely do pretty well for themselves from a moneymaking standpoint and everyone who works for them seems to be happy employees.. Point is they have the money to do things. Its there.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres