Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Reinsdorf owns the Stadium twitter acct..and they were the source that broke the Yonder acquisition .  It's weird to me they'd put it out there like that (re: signing both) but then again it's seeking clicks or whatever, at its core.

they also had the guy that broke the Guyer signing

20 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I'm wondering if a policy is written for $300M total and decrease $30M per year is there a percentage payout for injury, if it happens in any year. I can't imagine a 100% payout. And I wonder what kind of cost is paid? just wondering, if anyone has insight to this. I don't mean to get off topic, but wondering if we land Machado.

It could be structured any number of ways with a deductible and covering a percentage of loss.  Remember if you make a claim your rates go up. I heard that insurance can be a huge part of the cost  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

Not saying that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, but I just checked the subscriber numbers for some MLB teams subreddits and it worked out like this:

r/whitesox: 10.9k

r/cardinals: 21.8k

r/CHIcubs: 30.6k

r/minnesotatwins: 12.1k

r/wahoostipi: 14.0k

Not sure where the rest of the teams in the league stack up or if this is even remotely related to the overall size of the fanbase, but take from this what you will.

I've ventured to the White Sox reddit before. I must say it was a really weird community, where most of the conversation was about random, unrelated topics. Actual White Sox discussion was suppressed and stuff like that was the center of discussion. I'd imagine some Sox fans are turned off by that culture so they use Soxtalk, Twitter, etc. to engage with fellow fans instead. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Don't forget he's a rookie that had some injury problems last year and he just turned 22. We can be ok with him being "Good" his first year and great in a couple years, if that's his path.

I've gotten the sense that a lot of Sox fans are expecting Eloy to slash something like .295/.340/.500 right away. That would be great, and he probably is the type of player that can kill MLB pitching right away. Some of his projections even suggest that such a slash line is possible. But I just hope that we aren't entering a situation where Eloy slashes .260/.320/.450 and people get disappointed, given that such a line would be above average, especially for a 22 year old

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I've gotten the sense that a lot of Sox fans are expecting Eloy to slash something like .295/.340/.500 right away. That would be great, and he probably is the type of player that can kill MLB pitching right away. Some of his projections even suggest that such a slash line is possible. But I just hope that we aren't entering a situation where Eloy slashes .260/.320/.450 and people get disappointed, given that such a line would be above average, especially for a 22 year old

If Eloy doesn't play himself into the HR derby he is a BUST. 

Edited by mqr

56 minutes ago, Markbilliards said:

Its not required to get a policy in MLB, but the Sox would 100% would have an insurance policy on Machado.  

I always wondered how those policies work in reality. Wouldn't having to pay 200-300 million dollars break any company? Certainly it's a huge chunk of change for any company I'd think. How much do teams pay into these policies to get that kind of massive protection. Just always wondered about that.

31 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I always wondered how those policies work in reality. Wouldn't having to pay 200-300 million dollars break any company? Certainly it's a huge chunk of change for any company I'd think. How much do teams pay into these policies to get that kind of massive protection. Just always wondered about that.

$300 million is chump change for an insurance company.

The likelyhood for an insurance policy to cover 100 percent of the contract and for them to pay out that money themselves as a lump sum is practically zero.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

50 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ok I’m hyped as fuck right now.  Let’s sign Machado & Keuchel, trade for Joc, and win the division NEXT YEAR.  This lineup could hit 240 bombs and along with a strong pen could offset a sketchy rotation (yes I’m aware this OF defense would suck balls).

• 1) Moncada, 2B
  • 2) Machado, 3B
  • 3) Abreu, DH
  • 4) Pederson, CF
  • 5) Jimenez, LF
  • 6) Alonso, 1B
  • 7) Castillo, C
  • 8)) Palka, RF
  • 9) Anderson, SS
  •  
  • IF: Sanchez
  • OF: Jay
  • UT: Rondon
  • BC: McCann
  •  
  • #1: Kuechel
  • #2: Lopez
  • #3: Rodon
  • #4: Nova
  • #5: Giolito
  •  
  • CL: Colome
  • SU: Herrera
  • SU: Fry
  • MR: Jones
  • MR: Frare
  • MR: Hamilton
  • LR: Banuelos

PS: Let’s hope Lindor’s calf injury causes him to miss time or be limited and pray the Indians’ rotation gets hit with some injuries and that their bullpen & OF suck ☺️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No. Without Maddon essentially abusing Chapman, they dont win.

The guy blew 3 of his 7 opportunities! If that rajah Davis homer held up we’re talking about a disaster trade. 

Edited by mqr
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok I’m hyped as fuck right now.  Let’s sign Machado & Keuchel, trade for Joc, and win the division NEXT YEAR.  This lineup could hit 240 bombs and along with a strong pen could offset a sketchy rotation (yes I’m aware this OF defense would suck balls).

• 1) Moncada, 2B
  • 2) Machado, 3B
  • 3) Abreu, DH
  • 4) Pederson, CF
  • 5) Jimenez, LF
  • 6) Alonso, 1B
  • 7) Castillo, C
  • 8)) Palka, RF
  • 9) Anderson, SS
  •  
  •  
  •  

PS: Let’s hope Lindor’s calf injury causes him to miss time or be limited and pray the Indians’ rotation gets hit with some injuries and that their bullpen & OF suck ☺️

I wish you were the GM. Ha.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

That's the problem with Texas...want to see the White Sox and it's a 3 hour drive to Houston or Dallas. 

What? When I landed in Dallas, Arlington was no more than a 30 minute drive. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Edited by soxfan49

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• 1) Moncada, 2B
  • 2) Machado, 3B
  • 3) Abreu, DH
  • 4) Pederson, CF
  • 5) Jimenez, LF
  • 6) Alonso, 1B
  • 7) Castillo, C
  • 8)) Palka, RF
  • 9) Anderson, SS
  •  
  •  
  •  

I'd prefer that they not trade for Pederson, but rather give the at bats to Palka. A platoon of Guyer and Palka would be fine, with Engel as a late inning, defensive replacement, I would start Jay in CF and move him to LF, to replace Palka, when Engel is brought in. I don't think that Machado would be happy batting second, and I would agree with him. Here is my lineup:

2B Moncada

CF Jay

3B Machado

DH Abreu

1B  Alonso

RF  Jimenez

Lf  Palka

C. Castillo

SS  Anderson

Edited by Lillian

26 minutes ago, mqr said:

The guy blew 3 of his 7 opportunities! If that rajah Davis homer held up we’re talking about a disaster trade. 

These arguments fall flat because they completely ignore the pressure he took off other pitchers. He was flat out dominant in the regular season. His postseason stats aren't as bad as people are describing them here. First off, ERA is a lousy stat for evaluating pitchers. If maddon didn't use and abuse Aroldis, those innings and they wear and tear would be put on other pitchers in that bullpen. Aroldis was absolutely a big piece in their regular season and post season. 

11 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'd prefer that they not trade for Pederson, but rather give the at bats to Palka. A platoon of Guyer and Palka would be fine, with Engel as a late inning, defensive replacement, I would start Jay in CF and move him to LF, to replace Palka, when Engel is brought in. I don't think that Machado would be happy batting second, and I would agree with him. Here is my lineup:

2B Moncada

CF Jay

3B Machado

DH Abreu

1B  Alonso

RF  Jimenez

Lf  Palka

C. Castillo

SS  Anderson

Two questions:

1) Why would Machado care about batting second and why do you care?

2) I thought you’ve fiending for a LH middle of the order bat?  That’s exactly what Joc is and if he can be bad for cheap why the fuck not?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Insurers provide that kind of coverage for companies all the time.  PG&E had $1.4 billion in wildfire coverage (not enough to protect it from bankruptcy).  For a policy of that size, you could always have some sort of syndicate or layered coverage to spread the risk around some more.  No idea what a policy like that would cost.  Obviously the odds of a truly career ending injury are low.  

58 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

$300 million is chump change for an insurance company.

The likelyhood for an insurance policy to cover 100 percent of the contract and for them to pay out that money themselves as a lump sum is practically zero.

Any contract that big is usually only covered at about 50%

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres