Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

45 minutes ago, mqr said:

The guy blew 3 of his 7 opportunities! If that rajah Davis homer held up we’re talking about a disaster trade. 

I was referring to not just the series but getting there. They don't get there without him and can't win it if they aren't there.

35 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

If that rain delay doesn't happen, Indians win that game. 

No doubt. I remind all my Cubs fan friends and neighbors, which must be imaginary in the south suburbs, that the Cubs only won because the greatest choke performance in history.

16 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

Insurers provide that kind of coverage for companies all the time.  PG&E had $1.4 billion in wildfire coverage (not enough to protect it from bankruptcy).  For a policy of that size, you could always have some sort of syndicate or layered coverage to spread the risk around some more.  No idea what a policy like that would cost.  Obviously the odds of a truly career ending injury are low.  

It's called re-insurance when the primary insurance company insures their own policy with another company to spread the risk out.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

I worked for an insurance company in IT for over 20 years. Primary insurance companies usually do not keep all the risk of a policy. They almost always spread out a large risk via "reinsurance". There are numerous reinsurance companies all over the world. A large risk like $300 mil would actually be spread out to many different reinsurance companies with each company taking small pieces, sometimes only 1% or less. The primary company pays the reinsurance some of the premium they take in on the initial policy. The original premium depends on the size of the risk. If the Sox would decide to only "insure" half the $300 mil, then the premium would be less than if they decided to insure the whole thing. The premium can be in the millions, depending on the risk. Yes, the chance of the player getting hurt so bad is small, but with so much money on the line, even a small chance needs to be insured so the future of the team is not put in jeopardy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Two questions:

1) Why would Machado care about batting second and why do you care?

2) I thought you’ve fiending for a LH middle of the order bat?  That’s exactly what Joc is and if he can be bad for cheap why the fuck not?

1) Because he is not a #2 hole hitter. He is a middle of the order, run producer, which places him 3RD or 4TH.

2) Yes, I am always conscious of the need for balance in the lineup, and the Sox have not had much in the way of left handed, middle of the order bats. However, Joc would not figure into the future core of this team, and I would prefer to find out whether, or not Palka might be. If Joc is acquired, Palka would not get many at bats.

Just now, Lillian said:

1) Because he is not a #2 hole hitter. He is a middle of the order, run producer, which places him 3RD or 4TH.

2) Yes, I am always conscious of the need for balance in the lineup, and the Sox have not had much in the way of left handed, middle of the order bats. However, Joc would not figure into the future core of this team, and I would prefer to find out whether, or not Palka might be. If Joc is acquired, Palka would not get many at bats.

He'd get a ton of ABs... in Charlotte.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

He'd get a ton of ABs... in Charlotte.

And just what would that prove? Why not afford him the Major League playing time, in an attempt to find out whether, or not, he might have a place on the team, going forward? In a couple of years, when both Alonso and Jay are gone, Palka could be a useful DH. Moreover, it is likely that the Sox would have to give up a couple of arms, in order to acquire Joc and I don't think that they're in a position yet, to be giving up pitchers. 

Edited by Lillian

12 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Grain of salt

Unless Cashman has been trolling all of baseball and planning all along to jump in and steal Machado, I would take this with a grain of salt. New York does not really need Machado. Signing him would be a luxury, and would put them way over the luxury tax. Sure, anything can happen. But until it does worrying about it won't accomplish much. My feeling on this has developed into if we sign Machado, fine. If not and he is so greedy that he will wait until the season starts or later to sign just to squeeze a few more million out of us, then let him go to Japan.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I've ventured to the White Sox reddit before. I must say it was a really weird community, where most of the conversation was about random, unrelated topics. Actual White Sox discussion was suppressed and stuff like that was the center of discussion. I'd imagine some Sox fans are turned off by that culture so they use Soxtalk, Twitter, etc. to engage with fellow fans instead. 

All of the good posters are here.

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

$300 million is chump change for an insurance company.

The likelyhood for an insurance policy to cover 100 percent of the contract and for them to pay out that money themselves as a lump sum is practically zero.

They usually pay out somewhere between 40-60% on season-ending injuries...

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm curious, what would you guess the agent's cut of Machado's contract would be?

I read somewhere that the NFL has a 3% cap, NBA is 3-15% but more often than not around 4% and as far as MLB and the NHL there is no cap but I would assume it falls in line with that of the NFL and NBA so probably 3-5%

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres