Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I have a 7 year old son who loves baseball and his White Sox. I have a 72 year old father who feels the same, but has 65 more years of experience. Ironically, I have had to sell this rebuild to both of them in an almost identical sense.

I have also told both of them multiple times that I feel the Machado signing is imminent. Both now ask me multiple times if it's happened yet.

I'm so, so tired of all of this. It's sickening. And it's really bad for the game. The owners are certainly operating under the rules of the current CBA. Of course no one should negotiate against oneself. And of course the players, and agents, should do all they can to maximize player value.

But this is certainly bad for the game. Pitchers are throwing bullpens in camp on mounds. And the majority of teams aren't even set yet.

If I can't tell a 7 year old boy if and when it's time to be excited about a major league team on February 9, FIX THIS SHIT!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tdsox17 said:

I have a 7 year old son who loves baseball and his White Sox. I have a 72 year old father who feels the same, but has 65 more years of experience. Ironically, I have had to sell this rebuild to both of them in an almost identical sense.

I have also told both of them multiple times that I feel the Machado signing is imminent. Both now ask me multiple times if it's happened yet.

I'm so, so tired of all of this. It's sickening. And it's really bad for the game. The owners are certainly operating under the rules of the current CBA. Of course no one should negotiate against oneself. And of course the players, and agents, should do all they can to maximize player value.

But this is certainly bad for the game. Pitchers are throwing bullpens in camp on mounds. And the majority of teams aren't even set yet.

If I can't tell a 7 year old boy if and when it's time to be excited about a major league team on February 9, FIX THIS SHIT!!

Well said. I remember the previous strikes. My son was devastated. Kids just want to watch baseball. This greed of these two players is holding up the signing of a lot of lesser players. What will happen? No one will blame the whales. The union will want to strike to make up for the slow free agent signings not only of the whales, but also the lesser players. Who will suffer? The fans, and the kids, AGAIN. Greed. Plain greed. Who could spend $250 million? But, noooooo….hold out for $300 million. Make going to a game so expensive for a family no one will be able to. Yes, the owners are rich. They don't care about me or the kids. Just the bottom line. BUT, they are running a business. They want to pay as little as possible. Isn't there some sensible middle ground?

Just now, xSouthsider2 said:

Well said. I remember the previous strikes. My son was devastated. Kids just want to watch baseball. This greed of these two players is holding up the signing of a lot of lesser players. What will happen? No one will blame the whales. The union will want to strike to make up for the slow free agent signings not only of the whales, but also the lesser players. Who will suffer? The fans, and the kids, AGAIN. Greed. Plain greed. Who could spend $250 million? But, noooooo….hold out for $300 million. Make going to a game so expensive for a family no one will be able to. Yes, the owners are rich. They don't care about me or the kids. Just the bottom line. BUT, they are running a business. They want to pay as little as possible. Isn't there some sensible middle ground?

This is a bizarre rant. 2/3 of it is complaining about the greedy players, 1/3 of it is accepting the excuse that the owners are running a business and then asking why there isn't a middle ground. Like you said, they're running a business, and if it means they save $50 million by waiting til March 15 to sign a player, hey that's an extra $50 million. They're running a business and that's a sound business decision. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a bizarre rant. 2/3 of it is complaining about the greedy players, 1/3 of it is accepting the excuse that the owners are running a business and then asking why there isn't a middle ground. Like you said, they're running a business, and if it means they save $50 million by waiting til March 15 to sign a player, hey that's an extra $50 million. They're running a business and that's a sound business decision. 

Yup -- can't blame the owners or the players for the delay. Gotta blame the rules and structure. Players come up not earning what their worth, then hit FA and want to strike big.

But it is getting absolutely bonkers... this weekend is the first time it's started to negatively effect me in real life. I realllllllyyyy want to get into fantasy baseball for the season but I just can't until I know whether or not the white sox sign one or both of these guys. 

40 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

I was devastated in 94. Now pffft

1 hour ago, tdsox17 said:

It will be fixed...after the next labor impasse / lockout / strike in 2021. The two sides will figure out a way to make signing free agents attractive again to teams.

54 minutes ago, daggins said:

So the new nightmare scenario is Harper signing with the Giants and the Phils throwing panic money at Machado.

No. Manny had such a great time as Gronk's guest riding in a duck boat, he is thinking of playing football next season.  

4 hours ago, daggins said:

So the new nightmare scenario is Harper signing with the Giants and the Phils throwing panic money at Machado.

I kind of have this feeling as well, although I can't tell how serious the Giants are.  They already have a shitty contract in Longoria and they aren't competing even with Harper.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres