Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

lol, but why would you embed your own tweet here instead of just posting the joke?

Because it was easier than copy and paste on the tweet, because then it creates a link to the tweet instead of copying the words in the tweet, and then I would have to remove the hashtag and add a space. Trying to save myself about 9 seconds while I'm at work sneaking my phone out to beat anyone else to the joke. 😂

Passan on Waddle & Silvy just now was asked “are the White Sox in it to win it, or in it just to be in it?” (On machado). And passan believes Sox are in it to be in it with the hopes of winning it LOL. 

Basically meant he believes Sox won’t be blowing away the other teams with their offer.

While I hope they won’t bid against themselves, they better be ready to top ANY offer and make themselves the highest bidder. 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I had the same thought but thought perhaps that is poor taste

The story of the shoes is supposed to be open for interpretation, which is why those 6 words are remembered as such an impactful story because of the different ways it can be taken and the story the audience creates behind it.

Just now, bmags said:

I don't care a lick if the sox bid against themselves.

Although I agree with the "It's not my money, just land the guy" I still have doubts Lozano wouldn't still be holding out and keep upping the cap for Manny's services. So say the Sox did indeed put out a 10/327 mil offer, we probably would still be waiting for Harper to sign to see if they can top that. That's the kinda offseason it has been.

I am fine with the wait and see approach with us, if we are sitting there confident that the other suitors all had their look at the situation and passed on it.

the JD Martinez thing lasted long last year because this is a battle to redefine the entire market place between agents & teams. If we have inside info on what the other owners are doing (and Jerry tends to have owners' ear) then why bid against yourself. ST is here, so if another team is going to come along, it's going to be now or never. 

Edited by Princess Dye
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shipps said:

For me I haven’t even read anything in the media today it was just a feeling I got. It means nothing, just a familiar feeling. 

I have said from the start of this that I never felt like time would be on the Sox side. Time will allow for so many variables to take place that will leave the Sox out. There more this goes on the greater the chance that something happens to knock them out. They needed to be aggressive in my opinion. They are making a business decision in playing this semi conservatively, it appears. Ultimately who the heck knows what’s going on behind the scene though. 

If the Sox are foolish enough to let Machado’s camp believe that they actually will not budge on a sub-200mm dollar contract, then yes, time is not on their side anymore. 

But if they have implied that they will not be outbid, then they should get an opportunity to counter their own offer when Lozano comes to them saying he’s about to short a short term deal for higher AAV. Then, the Sox should move the number up to where it needs to be, knowing confidently that no team is left to outbid them. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

7 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Although I agree with the "It's not my money, just land the guy" I still have doubts Lozano wouldn't still be holding out and keep upping the cap for Manny's services. So say the Sox did indeed put out a 10/327 mil offer, we probably would still be waiting for Harper to sign to see if they can top that. That's the kinda offseason it has been.

He may not be signed, but if the sox had a 10 year 327 mill offer on the table for manny there would be 0 doubt that he would sign short term, and no chance for a significant push from a team on the sidelines.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

He may not be signed, but if the sox had a 10 year 327 mill offer on the table for manny there would be 0 doubt that he would sign short term, and no chance for a significant push from a team on the sidelines.

Or the agent would think, they already bid against themselves before, maybe we can get them to do it again if we just wait it out. if not we will just sign the 10 for 327

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I get where you're coming from, I just personally don't think he signs short term coming off a great year this past year. He could just as easily have a 2017 repeat and leave substantial money on the table. Harper would probably make the most sense of either big fish to do it but I personally can't see it, obviously none of us know. I just think this is a staring contest between agents, they both want their client to be the last gem on the market. Good thing Sox aren't doing squat this year they can wait this out.

6 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

While it would’ve be nice if the Sox told machado “here’s your 10/$300 million” or whatever he’s looking for, and ended this nonsense weeks ago, it doesn’t make sense from a business standpoint. 

I honestly don't get this point. It may not make sense from a roster building standpoint, it may not make sense from an allocation of resources standpoint, but a business standpoint? 

Was a rebuild a good idea from a "business standpoint"? Was acquiring Joakim Soria's salary to give up less prospects good from a "business standpoint"?

Baseball isn't a comparable business. The purpose of most baseball teams is to be as good as possible without losing cash in the short term while building the value of the franchise longterm when we get down to it. 

Winning can lead to making more money as a franchise but making money as a franchise doesn't lead to winning.

It could be a great asset to the chicago white sox to get Manny Machado at the perfect nexus of the markets demand and not a cent more. But that may come at the cost of not getting Manny Machado.

Not getting Manny Machado spins them into uncertainty of trying to get a substantial bat in their lineup, getting more certainty you can land him may come at a price worth paying.

The sox are not going to lose money on Manny Machado's deal. If that potentially happens they can trade him. 

There is a spending aspect to this, but the idea that there is just a business formula saying paying more than you need to is more costly than the risk of not getting the player is just nonsense to me.

Lozano's last card to play is how the league looks bad right now and how teams arent "going for it" supposedly. I dont know what team is going to totally revamp their offseason plan based on something like that. It's said that the Angels were a 'mystery team' for Pujols but i wonder how much that's based in reality, or if they were a part of things all along.

I dont get the idea that someone is going to just swoop in and realize "oh yeah, this guy is a free agent! I'll bid in February for the first time!" It just feels like the bids are in. How could they not be? These are HoF potential free agents.

I say all this noting that i dont think the high bid right now is $175M. Way higher.

Edited by Princess Dye

3 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Lozano's last card to play is how the league looks bad right now and how teams arent "going for it" supposedly. I dont know what team is going to totally revamp their offseason plan based on something like that. It's said that the Angels were a 'mystery team' for Pujols but i wonder how much that's based in reality, or if they were a part of things all along.

I dont get the idea that someone is going to just swoop in and realize "oh yeah, this guy is a free agent! I'll bid in February for the first time!" It just feels like the bids are in. How could they not be? These are HoF potential free agents.

I say all this noting that i dont think the high bid right now is $175M. Way higher.

This is probably true! I hope sox are sitting at 8 for 250! We have no idea though and if they are truly sitting at a base of 7 for 175 with some swellopt I'd rather they have upped the base.

I'd have zero problem with the commitment of 8 for 250 with an opt-out at year 5 that can be triggered if sox don't pick up an option for an additional 2 years 60 million or something like that, and that's a 10 year 310 deal and everyone's happy.

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

If the Sox are foolish enough to let Machado’s camp believe that they actually will not budge on a sub-200mm dollar contract, then yes, time is not on their side anymore. 

But if they have implied that they will not be outbid, then they should get an opportunity to counter their own offer when Lozano comes to them saying he’s about to short a short term deal for higher AAV. Then, the Sox should move the number up to where it needs to be, knowing confidently that no team is left to outbid them. 

The more I think about it, the strategy of "We want you, but only slightly more than anyone else is willing to bid" seems like a tough strategy to win unless you are the favorite destination of the player involved.  That really doesn't say WE WANT YOU.  It doesn't do a lot to woo them.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres