Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

48 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

yep, all Cubs license plates here, I've seen maybe 3 Sox plates in my town (I live about 15 minutes from where Thome grew up), I've seen a hundred Cubs plates

I'd say it's 48/48/2/1/1 cubs/cards/yanks/sox/everyone else respectively in Peoria area. 

I went to the same high school as Thome.  I met him once at a gas station couple blocks from my house, during the offseason, around the first year he was with the Phillies.  Awesome guy.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yes. Growing up in Peoria. They had the Peoria Cubs, a minor league affiliate. I believe he talked about it at the time.

Peoria Chiefs is the team, and it's alternated 3 or 4 times since early 90s between the Cubs(Mark Grace was one I believe) and Cards(Albert Pujols) as their Single A team.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

7 hours ago, drgiggles15 said:

If a player is out for a year due to Tommy John, like Kopech, do we lose a year of his contract as well? What about if a player is suspended? Just for example, we sign a guy to a 5 year deal and he is injured the whole year or suspended, does that still count as a year of service even tho they didn't play? Probably a stupid question, I know.

Yes players accrue service time on the MLB DLm

17 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Vegas has the White Sox 3rd to sign Machado behind the Yankees and the Padres.

Not even on the list for Harper.

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This isn’t entirely true. Nevada sports books can only offer prop bets that take place on the playing surface and can be verified in a box score. The only exceptions are coin tosses. 

The sports books taking action on where Manny signs are off shore. 

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not even on the list for Harper.

I said this a few pages back, but I'll say it again.

1. BetOnline is from Australia NOT VEGAS. Vegas cannot take that kind of prop bet. It is ILLEGAL.

2. Books don't post odds based on info (to an extent). They post odds based on where the money is coming in so that they can cover themselves. So, if the money is coming in on the Yankees (which it will b/c they're the yankees and everyone bets on the big boys), they're going to make the odds worse for the Yanks to entice bets being placed on the teams where they have less exposure.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

And the Yankees are not getting Machado.  I would also be shocked to see the Padres beat the rumored 8/250 offer.

Call Vegas insider then. The Sox are 5/1 Bet 100 and make 500. Yankees are 1/2. They are such a prohibitive favorite that it's not worth betting.

Edited by ptatc

22 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

I said this a few pages back, but I'll say it again.

1. BetOnline is from Australia NOT VEGAS. Vegas cannot take that kind of prop bet. It is ILLEGAL.

2. Books don't post odds based on info (to an extent). They post odds based on where the money is coming in so that they can cover themselves. So, if the money is coming in on the Yankees (which it will b/c they're the yankees and everyone bets on the big boys), they're going to make the odds worse for the Yanks to entice bets being placed on the teams where they have less exposure.

My apologies. The Vegas insider has those odds. Didn't realize that it wasn't tied to Vegas. Either way those are the current odds of places where you can bet on those types of things.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

My apologies. The Vegas insider has those odds. Didn't realize that it wasn't tied to Vegas. Either way those are the current odds of places where you can bet on those types of things.

right, but the point is, odds aren't "technically" based on predictions. they're based on where the money is coming in and where the money will come in based on the odds given.

EDIT: as someone else posted, the sox "odds" increased within an hr or two to +200 right behind the yankees who dropped back to +100. essentially meaning the money was coming in on the white sox. nothing actually changed to give them better odds. im not trying to be hostile in any way, just trying to make sure everyone understands the meaning of those numbers.

Edited by Kiebs13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drgiggles15 said:

If a player is out for a year due to Tommy John, like Kopech, do we lose a year of his contract as well? What about if a player is suspended? Just for example, we sign a guy to a 5 year deal and he is injured the whole year or suspended, does that still count as a year of service even tho they didn't play? Probably a stupid question, I know.

If a player signed to an extension or free agent contract misses a year, he gets the full pay and the team just misses him for that year. Same for suspension, but with no pay. There isn't another year tacked on and the player still hits free agency at the same time. However, since Kopech is still under team control and playing for the minimum, the Sox won't lose a year of control. For all intents and purposes, it's like he's spending another year in the minors, contract wise.

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

If a player signed to an extension or free agent contract misses a year, he gets the full pay and the team just misses him for that year. Same for suspension, but with no pay. There isn't another year tacked on and the player still hits free agency at the same time. However, since Kopech is still under team control and playing for the minimum, the Sox won't lose a year of control. For all intents and purposes, it's like he's spending another year in the minors, contract wise.

I don't think this is correct. He got injured while on the MLB roster so his service counts. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

right, but the point is, odds aren't "technically" based on predictions. they're based on where the money is coming in and where the money will come in based on the odds given.

That wasn't my point. My point is if people are confident that he will sign with the Sox, you can make good money on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Yes, and this is why teams like the Cubs will always have better odds than they should in bad years. Dopes will put money on them to win the world series coming off a 100 loss season just because they're so damn lovable and you gotta believe and such nonsense. Since money will come in no matter what, they give the Cubs better odds so they would have to pay out less in the instance they were to win.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres