Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I am pro player, but I'm kind of annoyed at the comments about how manny and bryce should have jobs. Making that case for the 100 free agents as a whole? Fair. The pretty decent list of good mlb players signing minor league contracts? Totally fair.

But it's not like Bryce and Manny haven't been offered jobs.

While I don't think Bryce or Manny are losing any money by waiting and thus keep waiting, I think any player like Moustakas who thought they would have more leverage when machado signs was sorely mistaken. For the mid-level player, I'm not seeing it as clear at all that waiting has benefited them vs taking the first few offers.

I read the other day, Boras still has 9 clients who are pretty decent, still unsigned. Playing this game with the big boys has its effect on the others.  Corbin was smart. He got big bucks right away. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I read the other day, Boras still has 9 clients who are pretty decent, still unsigned. Playing this game with the big boys has its effect on the others.  Corbin was smart. He got big bucks right away. 

Right, teams are often not looking to fill a position at all costs where they'll go down a list. If your player has interest from more than two teams, strike while the iron is hot and get signed, don't wait.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

When he eventually signs with a team.

I can see the reading too much into every little quote has already started lol

I should of said last two sentences: "I think it's all going to get taken care of. We'll just see when it happens."  Well duh, no one thinks he wont sign at all. That was my point.

This is kind of off topic so forgive me.  Can somebody with better knowledge of the MLBPA contract explain why front loading contracts is essentially not a thing? I understand there is a percentage of total AAV it cannot go above or below but why? I feel like it would be more beneficial to do that with rebuilding teams like the Sox for example.  Throw 40 or 50 mil at a guy the first 2 or so years of the contracts life while you suck to lower the hit when you are ready to compete. 

Edited by BackDoorBreach
Typo

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

This is kind of of off topic so forgive me.  Can somebody with better knowledge of the MLBPA contract explain why front loading contracts is essentially not a thing? I understand there is a percentage of total AAV it cannot go above or below but why? I feel like it would be more beneficial to do that with rebuilding teams like the Sox for example.  Throw 40 or 50 mil at a guy the first 2 or so years of the contracts life while you suck to lower the hit when you are ready to compete. 

I'd imagine its a time value of money outweighing thing. 

i know were not even the most annoying fan base in our town. but geez people are freeaking out over a glove, a white sox booty.

Some of us are following some ramdon dude from SD or Machado on instagram, instead of checking our 401k, Bank statements, or our kids snapchat.

i too got caught up in it. I read to get information cause I want my team to get one of the whales. bottom line is let me know when he signs. i got back to life a while ago. 

preach on brother

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd imagine its a time value of money outweighing thing. 

I'm not sure to be honest.  I just feel like big name free agents would be more appealing if you could do that in certain circumstances.  Obviously nothing outrageous like 75 mil year 1, and 20 mil in the following years.  But the way I understand the CBA there is not a lot of wiggle room to front load.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres