Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

From what I've seen, they haven't even had a formal meeting with Machado. If they were legitimately interested in him, I feel like that would have happened by now. I'm not worried about them.

I don’t think anyone knows the extent of the Padres communication with Manny. We’ve seen a few writers suggest they’re the most aggressive team on Manny right now.  Hopefully that’s just Lozano trying to get another team to up the bidding for the Sox to go higher.

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

i have read some good points. However i just want this to end.

so having said that. 

Last year J.D. Martinez signed on February 26th.

is Machado and Harper going under or over the 26th?

That's when it officially went down, but it was announced on the Monday of actual spring training starting. So Feb 18 (monday) is a better proxy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Why are people saying SD is not realistic? To be fair I think they are a very realistic destination and have spent money in the past. They worry me the most.

I know SD has had alot of debt - financing for the new stadium. So they shocked the world when they spent big money on Hosmer. But what is their budget? Where does their payroll need to be to be in the black and pay down some of that debt?  I really have no idea. 

17 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Would be amazing. But i doubt the Sox are willing to outspend Philly on both. Unless they both hate Philly. Please be right

And this was mentioned yesterday. I don't doubt Philadelphia could out bid Chicago for Harper. But if Harper doesn't want to go to the Phillies and Chicago's offer is close enough then yeah it's very possible he comes with Manny to the Sox.

Edited by smellysox

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Why are people saying SD is not realistic? To be fair I think they are a very realistic destination and have spent money in the past. They worry me the most.

Manny does not want to be on the west coast. Also, wasn’t it rosenthal who said SD came sniffing around when they thought he could be had for a low price? They haven’t even met with him face to face. 

I think Manny is coming to the Sox just by the process of elimination.

Padres: it's possible, but probably not

Yankees: it's possible, but probably not

Phillies: seem to be more interested in Harper

He might not have a choice but to sign with the Sox, unless he takes a short term pillow deal somewhere which seems unlikely.

Just having some fun:

I've been pretty much wrong on everything so far on the Machado/Harper Free agency. I thought they'd sign in December or surely in the early part of the new year.

Harpers Market in Order of likeliest 

1. Philly 
For whatever reason, Harper doesn't seem infatuated with Philly even though their the most logical suitors. Money has to still be on Philly tho. 
2. White Sox
White Sox have the money, but the desire to sign both Machado and Harper is highly questionable. 
3. SD Padres
Their loaded on OF, but a Harper splash would be huge with their loaded prospect system. I still think this is very unlikely tho due to their OF and no DH in SD
4. Field: Highly unlikely anywhere else unless short-term deal which Harper's cam has already said no to. 

Conclusion: Harper ends up with Philly or CHW, only two logical choices. Can safely forget every other team not named the Padres. 

Machado Market in order

1. Chicago white Sox
This thread is self explanatory. The need, the money is all there. 
2. Philly
Close second is philly. I think Machado makes alot of sense for them as they had one of the worst defensive clubs (ever?) last year. Their infield defense was atrocious. Not sure why they don't back up for Machado over Harper. Still, I'd be shocked if they get him over CHW at this point.
3. SD Padres - Again, distant possibility.

4. Field: NYY make some sense, but they've repeatedly declined involvement. Doubt that they'd be willing to go the long term lengths such as the CHW and PHI. All other teams are unlikely.

Conclusion: CHW are getting Manny baybayyyy

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Peeps...I don't mean to speculate, but think about this.  There have been many people saying the Machado deal has been done for a while--it's kind of been a repeating theme with many random people...then you have Alonso saying "when" it happens.  You have the Sox leaving a locker empty...it's like they know it's coming as if they HAVE KNOWN it's been official.  They way they are speaking about Machado and letting these tidbits of info out--there's no way MLB would allow this UNLESS Machado was already property of the Sox.  

There is a LOT to suggest that it's POSSIBLE that the deal IS done and being kept from release.  Now...let's make a critical mistake and make an assumption that it's true.  Now ask WHY?  Why would this be kept a secret?  It could be that they are trying to navigate the corresponding strike of signing both Machado and Harper.  Working out all the details of that so they can have 1 magical "reveal" that would consume the sports world for a long time.  Maybe the solution to the super agent's standoff of "who signs first" can be solved by saying hey, we'll both sign together--on the same team...no one gets up-staged.  They don't announce the Machado signing then a few days later--THAT'S over because it's all about Harper...or vise versa...

Get what I'm saying?  Coordinating strike?  All the pieces coming together at once?  Rock the world?   Ra team?  

Consider this scenario:  Machado has already agreed to terms with White Sox, say 8/250.  Sox tell him they are all in on Harper.  Both parties agree that if Sox should sign Harper for more than what Manny has agreed to, the contract will be amended to match Harper's salary.  

So the Sox know they have Machado committed, maybe even signed a "letter of intent" or a contract for 8/250 with terms pending.  Now they are negotiating with Boras who demands Harper get 10/350.  Sox sign Harper and immediately amend Machado's contract to match, then announce both signings simultaneously.

Maybe a pipe dream, but this is what I'm hoping.  🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

i have read some good points. However i just want this to end.

so having said that. 

Last year J.D. Martinez signed on February 26th.

is Machado and Harper going under or over the 26th?

February 19, 2018

Free agent outfielder J.D. Martinez has reportedly reached an agreement with the Boston Red Sox on a deal worth $110 million over five years, according to to Pedro Gomez of ESPN and Jon Morosi of MLB Network.

Took a few days for the physical and stuff after the agreement, so the 19th not the 26th. That was the Monday of the week spring training started for everyone, so the equivalent date this year would be next Monday, Feb. 18. 

46 minutes ago, Orlando said:

1) The Padres are leveraged with crazy debt payments due to deals the previous owner made. 10% of their operating budget is paying down debt.

2) They signed Hosmer to a huge contract last year, and Hosmer is not a good player.

3) Outside of the Hosmer deal, the current owner has cried poor about all other spending opportunities.

4) Manny reportedly wants to be on the east coast or as close as possible.

5) The Padres reportedly haven't made a preliminary offer yet, and Lozano won't let them meet Manny until he gets a serious offer from them.

6) Petco Park is bad for homers. I don't think Manny is as concerned about his legacy as Harper, so I could see him signing to play in a SD/SF and lose a bunch of homers from his career total. But the money would have to be much bigger than anywhere else.

I think it's either the Sox or Phillies. The Padres are in reports because they want attention and to show their fans they tried. Lozano is keeping the Padres in the news because he needs another team for leverage against the Sox. I have no concern at all about Manny going to San Diego.

Edited by Roughneck
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

1) The Padres are leveraged with crazy debt payments due to deals the previous owner made. 10% of their operating budget is paying down debt.

2) They signed Hosmer to a huge contract last year, and Hosmer is not a good player.

3) Outside of the Hosmer deal, the current owner has cried poor about all other spending opportunities.

4) Manny reportedly wants to be on the east coast or as close as possible.

5) The Padres reportedly haven't made a preliminary offer yet, and Lozano won't let them meet Manny until he gets a serious offer from them.

6) Petco Park is bad for homers. I don't think Manny is as concerned about his legacy as Harper, so I could see him signing to play in a SD/SF and lose a bunch of homers from his career total. But the money would have to be much bigger than anywhere else.

I think it's either the Sox of Phillies. The Padres are in reports because they want attention and to show their fans they tried. Lozano is keeping the Padres in the news because he needs another team for leverage against the Sox. I have no concern at all about Manny going to San Diego.

I know the white sox aren't a global sensation, and part of this is due to boring teams, but the padres have been where players go to be forgotten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

I’VE GOT IT GUYS!!!!!!

Hahn should call our old buddy Esteban Loaiza and have HIM “recruit” Manny!!!!

Give it 48 hours and we’re golden.

Bet the final contract ends up being 20 years for about $45 a year, with unlimited Loaiza incentives.

Until he fails the drug test...

I would handicap it...80% MM to the WS with NYY as dark horse. Guessing $29M/7yrs. w/performance bonuses adding another $6M in AAV. 

40% chance WS sign both MM and Harper. Gotta believe Philly still in lead re: Harper but their ability to spend 'stupid money' has eroded with recent signings. 

10 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Consider this scenario:  Machado has already agreed to terms with White Sox, say 8/250.  Sox tell him they are all in on Harper.  Both parties agree that if Sox should sign Harper for more than what Manny has agreed to, the contract will be amended to match Harper's salary.  

So the Sox know they have Machado committed, maybe even signed a "letter of intent" or a contract for 8/250 with terms pending.  Now they are negotiating with Boras who demands Harper get 10/350.  Sox sign Harper and immediately amend Machado's contract to match, then announce both signings simultaneously.

Maybe a pipe dream, but this is what I'm hoping.  🙂

Whether or not the Sox are working on Harper right now, Lozano might have requested that they wait to announce the deal.  Think about it -- he wouldn't want Boras to be able to use Manny's contract terms as a floor in negotiations with the Phillies (and if the Sox really are still in on Harper, they wouldn't want Boras to know those contract terms either).  It actually makes a lot of sense that they could have a deal but have chosen not to announce it.

For those that think they wouldn't be able to keep this quiet, if we've learned one thing this offseason it's that our acclaimed national reporters and experts aren't exactly crackpot investigative minds.  Rosenthal, Heyman, Morosi....these guys are respected and trusted because they have direct lines to the GMs and agents.  But if Hahn and Lozano refuse to confirm anything to these guys, they're not going to report a deal is done.  Simple as that.

And if a deal was essentially done, but they have decided not to announce until Harper is resolved, what are some of the things we might see:

We might see Manny ordering new White Sox-colored gloves to get ready for the season.

We might see Hahn joking about Manny signing with the Raiders, rather than talk about the Sox working hard to get a deal done.

We might see an open locker next to Alonso and Jay.

We might see a particular reporter with close ties to Manny's family unreasonably confident that Manny is going to the White Sox.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres