Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm a die hard Sox fan and the Sox wouldn't be my preferred destination either. As a player the goal to win would be above else for me. Nothing the Sox have done with JR at the helm give me ANY faith that my time with the sox over 7-10 years would be any different. When have we ever won consistently and played for WS year in and year out??

MM just left an organization like the Sox with the Orioles. 10k people showing up to game.. more opposing fans than home fans.. cold weather...

I hate to do this since it's cherry picking and most will be butt hurt about it... take out 2005.. since JR has been owner we've won 1 playoff game in 1983. 2 playoff games in 1993. 1 playoff game in 2008. FOUR TOTAL PLAYOFF WINS IN THIRTY FIVE DAMN YEARS. (excluding 2005). That sounds like hell.

The Sox can promise promise promise about these prospects and how its different and they'll spend now. But all this dragging out the machado signing for 2-3 months has proven to me is that the sox will always be the same while run by JR. He'd rather win the deal, win the Balance sheet, win the income statement then win consistently with the Sox. Because if he really was fed up with the status quo. He'd throw a 8th, 9th, or 10th year onto the deal. MM is 26. He's not 30 like past FA. You're going to get decent years out of MM as a 34 & 35 year old.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm annoyed by this all. Being a sox fan sucks most of the time and we finally have a promising long term window and two of the most accomplished young FA available, in probably the WORST offseason for FA EVER and we still won't pony up because JR is counting his damn pennies trying to get the best DEAL instead of the best PLAYERS.

Do you think anything would be different if the Sox were coming off a 90+ win season?  It doesn't have to do with winning or losing.  It never did.  It's that the Sox aren't a high profile team like the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, etc. who get all the media coverage and fawning.

Parkman's pre-Winter Meetings Machado/Harper thoughts: 

1. Neither will sign until after SB Sunday at the earliest, if not the start of Spring Training

2. The White Sox will throw a competitive offer out there, but neither player is likely interested in the Sox. They'd only sign here after exhausting all other options. 

Hmmmmmmm..........

30 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It's all bullshit!  Olney says "the feeling is the Chicago White Sox are a safety net..."  Whose feeling?!?!  Yours Olney?  Someone in the Yankee organization (since he's obviously at the Yankee's camp)?  I would love for him to articulate why the Phillies are a more preferred destination, because that's what he's implying here.  I doubt anyone told him that.  It's his own bias.

man espn really does hate the white sox

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Hmm, if this was coming out of Chicago, mass riots would start ensuing and the fans would be saying this is a tell tale sign of management trying to temper the expectations of the fans if they strike out....

or they were trying to not come across as desperate with regards to the agents.

14 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Do you think anything would be different if the Sox were coming off a 90+ win season?  It doesn't have to do with winning or losing.  It never did.  It's that the Sox aren't a high profile team like the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, etc. who get all the media coverage and fawning.

Maybe not a ton different. I think it would look better for the Sox, but just slightly improved. Money is still king. Which is a JR issue. And will continue to be.

winning and $$ don't necessarily go hand in hand, but there certainly is a positive correlation.

Phillies manager Gabe Kapler did not shoot down the possibility of opening up the third-base job to a best-man-wins competition between Maikel Franco and Scott Kingery.

“Those are conversations that we’re having right now,” Kapler said Wednesday. “There is some competition at third base and that’s a conversation that I’ll have with Mikey and I’ll have with Scott. So to answer your question directly, yes.”

May all just be smoke and mirrors, but if Renteria was quoted as saying he and Hahn have been having conversations about a competition at third between Yolmer and Rondon, there would be mass hysteria on Soxtalk.

19 minutes ago, Dlsoxfan said:

1. There is no way we spend 1/2 BILLION on 2 players. 

2. Let's hope we can sign 1 of the whales. 

3. This whole process is exhausting 

At half a billion, it might be possible.  No way it would be that cheap though.  You'd need both players signing in the $250 million range.  While Machado might, Bryce won't.

Sox as safety net is a rewording of what the rumors have suggested thus far:

Phillies are waving the most money, prioritizing Harper, the #1 free agent. Sox want to pay the #2 free agent of the class so as to use the Phillies' spending to their advantage

Sox like both players , as anyone would, so the whole thing could flip

I dont know if this is anything new.  I think the Phillies are a situation very much like us, but we'd be a backup plan because of total $ only. 

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres