Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Could have easily said “we aren’t ruling out any possibility that makes this club better and fits our long term goals”

He clearly shut it down.

And like I said, any answer that doesn't shut it down would lead to the fanbase going crazy. That's not something he likes to do. 

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Could have easily said “we aren’t ruling out any possibility that makes this club better and fits our long term goals”

He clearly shut it down.

Again, for the very point you're trying to make, is why he shut it down.  Also, why give the agents the idea that you have 600 million dollars you can possibly spend?  Now, do I think they'll get both.....hell no

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

And now we have Hector confirming the report, but who knows if he's misinterpreting what safety net means.

4 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Was definitely a language thing with Hector just by looking at his tweets. To me he was saying the sox are still the leaders for manny.

1 minute ago, Ben Waffleson said:

-1 for Hector

1A7DFC74-1470-4567-A1E8-3956EAC15467.png

I asked Hector if it was a language barrier in regards to the phrase "safety net" and he confirmed his source was still saying manny to the Sox. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you don't think the Phillies are in constant contact with Manny's agent, you are being foolish. To not say you have already agreed to a contract with another team, for the sole purpose of keeping Harper's potential contract lower, is not professional or moral. The agent would be done. Manny would be an outcast. The White Sox would penalized very severely. 

Setting aside Lozano's morals for a minute (which are questionable at best), please direct me to the place in the CBA that says when a deal has to be announced, or that a deal has to be announced in a certain time if there is a chance that another player can use the terms of that deal to his advantage.  You're conflating these markets.  They are separate markets.  They are not related.  They only seem that way because the same teams are in on both guys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Manny agreed to a White Sox contract, how would the Phillies not know he isn't negotiating with him any more? And if it's cool to fake negotiate in an effort to keep another player's contract down, great. This is even dumber than added security for a press conference. The fakes have officially run out of ideas.

Machado hasn’t been negotiating with Philly for several weeks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just now, chw42 said:

At this point Hector Gomez just seems like a bot that latches onto any Machado stories and says "Very interesting" or something along those lines. 

Not at all. I have to give Gomez credit here, he's been consistent all winter long and about the only "insider" that's done this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Setting aside Lozano's morals for a minute (which are questionable at best), please direct me to the place in the CBA that says when a deal has to be announced, or that a deal has to be announced in a certain time if there is a chance that another player can use the terms of that deal to his advantage.  You're conflating these markets.  They are separate markets.  They are not related.  They only seem that way because the same teams are in on both guys.

If you don't find that scenerio wrong at all, I am very glad I don't know you. 

Why did you fail to tell the Phillies your client had agreed to terms with another team and is no longer considering signing with them?

Well, we were hoping to fake them out so they wouldn't offer another player too much money, so this player could join my client in Chicago. Mr. Reinsdorf and I cooked this up. 

How can you now realize how stupid this is?

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There was also nothing to gain by saying this off season would be a disappointment if they didn't sign one.

I think a good rule of thumb is to not put stock in either direction into what Rick Hahn has said to the media lately. Even just yesterday, he said there's nothing to gain from him giving a public update on Machado until anything is finalized, so he prefers to stay silent. That's the one thing I trust he's actually being 100% honest about. 

4 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Machado hasn’t been negotiating with Philly for several weeks

Another guy who knows all the answers. 

If the Players Association is so worried about collusion, why would a player and his agent play along to suppress what may be the largest contract in the game's history/ 

It is the dumbest scenerio of all time.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Princess Dye said:

'safety net' doesnt mean 'being used.' i'm not sure why people are taking it that way

'safety net' means we're the team offering the 2nd most money to 1 of 2 guys.

Would seem the implications is we're the team offering the most money not the 2nd most but that they want more than both offers from someone if they can.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Hector is close with a lot of Dominican MLB players. He isn't one of these randos who does this to increase his twitter followers.

I'm not saying he's not legit. But the way he answers certain questions and his posting style in general seems very bot-like. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres