Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm almost certain the Phils would prefer Machado over Harper. If they did beat the Sox offer and got him, then oh well. Sucks for Bryce then. Phillies would be getting the better player.

I don't think they would prefer him, as they fear the Nats getting him back in this situation.  Phillies also have a lot more pieces on the infield than they do in the outfield, IMO.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One thing that I believe shack mentioned in one of his articles is the importance for both the Sox and Phillies to ensure that the other one doesn't get Bryce or Manny for too cheap of a deal.  That's important because they don't want one of them to get Manny, for example, and then have enough to go get Harper.  If the Phillies already know the Sox are at a high price for Manny (i.e.280) and won't be able to afford Harper also, then I could see them falling out of the Manny sweepstakes.

I disagree. I think the clearly negative player sentiment right now is due to the sox and phillies both know they can come away with one, and are in a prisoners dilemma game except they are both avoiding bidding up each other so they can get the players at the best possible prices.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm almost certain the Phils would prefer Machado over Harper. If they did beat the Sox offer and got him, then oh well. Sucks for Bryce then. Phillies would be getting the better player.

This is what their beat writer said on the radio.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why are you certain of this? The Phillies have been linked to Harper much more, and the Sox offer hasn't been reportedly too high so why wouldn't they just move in and lock him up?

I have no idea why you're certain of this. I tend to believe what was posted above - the Sox and Phillies don't want either team getting a big bargain, but it feels to me the Phillies aren't all-in on Machado.

Why would the Sox care of the Phillies got a bargain on Harper as long as the Sox get Machado. It makes no sense that one team would care what kind of deal another teams gets on a player.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

Jerry Reinsdorf's grand dream isn't signing both harper and machado, it would be signing on of either and orchestrating a market that underpaid the top players and kept labor prices in check. That's better than a world series.

I disagree it would be better than a world series for him. However, keeping salaries from running away and having only the "rich" teams win all the time is a goal of his.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Why would the Sox care of the Phillies got a bargain on Harper as long as the Sox get Machado. It makes no sense that one team would care what kind of deal another teams gets on a player.

This, and especially so for our owner.

Just now, TitoMB345 said:

I go away for lunch and come back to 7 new pages. Can someone TL;DR if anything *actually* happened in the last hour and a half?

We got excited then shot down by buster. Hector took busters side but then we found it to be a language barrier. Hector still thinks we get manny. Hector really appreciates us too.

thats all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This, and especially so for our owner.

The fear being the Phil's sign Harper first for significantly less then expected and then throwing their weight at Machado again. Or Vice Versa

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree it would be better than a world series for him. However, keeping salaries from running away and having only the "rich" teams win all the time is a goal of his.

Sure, this is more charitable. But at the very least, he will not be actively subverting another teams negotiations to ensure they pay more

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is what their beat writer said on the radio.

They already have a 3B who is decent in Franco and signing Harper would directly have the impact of taking away from a divisional rival, the Phillies also have a clear lack of outfield talent (McCutcheon is fading, youngsters are not difference makers) and he's already familiar with the division and its pitchers.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, mqr said:

The fear being the Phil's sign Harper first for significantly less then expected and then throwing their weight at Machado again. Or Vice Versa

This may be a fan concern, this is not a Reinsdorf concern. After all, he could say " you said you wanted this, bryce harper just signed for x, our offer is much more in line"

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why do people assume safety net means they have the 2nd best offer?  My thought was it means they have the highest at this point, but they're looking for someone to top it?  Thus, they know they can't fall below what the Sox are offering.

That's how I read it, just that their offer wasn't one that was so good that they actually wanted to sign it.

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

hasn't shack already been defended once here for having some knowledge of things?

i don't see why we attack everyone who contributes - even if what they heard is misleading or untrue. We post absurd twitter rumors all day - might as well let him say his piece without being shot donwn.

I said it last time this happened, in all of the years that shack has been on Soxtalk, he never has once given me a reason to think him a liar or con artist.  I 100% believe that he believes 100% that what he has been told is the truth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Another guy who knows all the answers. 

If the Players Association is so worried about collusion, why would a player and his agent play along to suppress what may be the largest contract in the game's history/ 

It is the dumbest scenerio of all time.

I don’t think it would unfold that way either. Not my scenario.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres