Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

If there really is no market over $250M for either than the Sox could get both.

I don't think this will happen but other then the White Sox and Phillies who is in play?  A lot of mystery teams which are all bullshit, there are no mystery teams rather teams are checking in to make certain that $175M is not the gross number. 

If the Sox offer opt outs after 4 years to either or both or front load the shit out of the contracts, who knows what happens.

Both of these guys have some flaws and the stupid money just may not be there. 

18 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

So my friend's cousin who works for the Sox as a buyer (she's in charge of buying merchandise for the shops so obviously, she would know if something was about to happen) texted him: "Get ready for an announcement on Friday" only to be told just kidding 5 minutes later. That killed me lol no one with that much power should ever abuse it like that.

I would do that every day.

8 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If there really is no market over $250M for either than the Sox could get both.

I don't think this will happen but other then the White Sox and Phillies who is in play?  A lot of mystery teams which are all bullshit, there are no mystery teams rather teams are checking in to make certain that $175M is not the gross number. 

If the Sox offer opt outs after 4 years to either or both or front load the shit out of the contracts, who knows what happens.

Both of these guys have some flaws and the stupid money just may not be there. 

The problem is, you can't really front load the contracts due to the current contract.  The # can't be above or below the AAV average by a fairly low percentage.  I brought it up yesterday actually.  I feel like that hampers rebuilding teams like the Sox

Edited by BackDoorBreach

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To who?

Everyone who keeps saying this, tell me the two destinations those two go that leaves the Sox in second.

Honestly, if you take weather into account probably the Padres. You also don't know what the Dodgers are going to do. 

I still wouldn't count out a 1-year deal from either or both of them, because the big 4 spenders will have room next year. (Yankees, Sawx(If JDM opts out) Cubs, Dodgers) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Hahaha, do people really, REALLY believe if Machado had a deal in principle or verbal or whatever it wouldn't get out?  So the White Sox could cartoonishly slyly get Harper to agree to terms before Boras found out?

>Just after Machado agrees

Hahn: H-hey Scott, 8/260 is our final offer

Boras: No

Hahn: My phone has 2% battery, w-well do 8/275, not a cent more.

Boras: Are you done with Manny then?

Hahn: Okay my phones dead nevermind byeee

Say Hahn has a commitment from Manny for 8/250, with the understanding that if they also sign Bryce, he'll get the same deal.

Hahn: Hey  Scott, how about 8/250?

Scott:  Nope, not nearly enough, we need at least 10/375.

Hahn:  How about 10/350?

Scott:  Are you done with Manny then?

Hahn: No, we're going for both, but I can guarantee you that his contract will not exceed Bryce's

Scott: OK, 10/350 it is!

Hahn signs Harper then immediately changes Manny's terms to 10/350 and announces both signings together.

{Change the actual figures to whatever the market truly is.}

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly, if you take weather into account probably the Padres. You also don't know what the Dodgers are going to do. 

I still wouldn't count out a 1-year deal from either or both of them, because the big 4 spenders will have room next year. 

There is ZERO chance either one signs a one year deal.

The Padres aren't getting either one. They havent even made offers.

The Dodgers? Come on man... you're just worried about nothing. The Dodgers and Yankees are out. The Dodgers arent paying high bracket luxury tax.

Why would they have room next year but not this year? That makes zero sense. They'll be a year older and less valuable for long term deals too. If they had the money next year they'd have it this. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There is ZERO chance either one signs a one year deal.

The Padres aren't getting either one. They havent even made offers or met with manny. 

The Dodgers? Come on man... you're just worried about nothing. The Dodgers and Yankees are out. The Dodgers arent paying high bracket luxury tax.

People really should be taking the Padres more seriously.  Yes, I'm sure he doesn't want to play on the west coast....but I don't think he wants to play in the midwest either.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I still wouldn't count out a 1-year deal from either or both of them, because the big 4 spenders will have room next year. (Yankees, Sawx(If JDM opts out) Cubs, Dodgers) 

I doubt he's going to take 2 weeks of weather into account. And the 1 year deal wasn't happening last week and it's still not going to happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

People really should be taking the Padres more seriously.  Yes, I'm sure he doesn't want to play on the west coast....but I don't think he wants to play in the midwest either.

My skepticism has 100% to do with being able to afford him. While I did not think we could outbid the phillies head to head for one guy, I do think we could easily outbid the padres.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

hasn't shack already been defended once here for having some knowledge of things?

i don't see why we attack everyone who contributes - even if what they heard is misleading or untrue. We post absurd twitter rumors all day - might as well let him say his piece without being shot donwn.

Thank you Ray Ray!

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I doubt he's going to take 2 weeks of weather into account. And the 1 year deal wasn't happening last week and it's still not going to happen. 

Last year it wasn't 2 weeks it was 7 and that is more likely to happen here long-term with the jet stream instability. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why? The Padres have no money. They're not going to lock up 400 million on machado and Hosmer when they have consistently run payrolls under 100 million forever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why? The Padres have no money. They're not going to lock up 400 million on machado and Hosmer when they have consistently run payrolls under 100 million for decades.

well the rumors are that Manny would only meet with them if they were willing to possibly meet his asking price, so I think their interest is more sincere than many thought.

Just now, fathom said:

well the rumors are that Manny would only meet with them if they were willing to possibly meet his asking price, so I think their interest is more sincere than many thought.

I think you are off on the meet his asking price, it was he needed to provide a formal offer for a sit down. They weren't just doing meet and greets this late in process.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If they met his asking price hed be signed. 

Theres no way they would actually not meet with them if they were going to travel to see him. That would be dumb of Lozano. The more perceived bidders the more pressure you can apply.

If he can say, see the Padres really are interested.

My skepticism is high because no one gets in late with the idea of spending 250 million that wasnt in the budget when it started... and if by chance that did happen, it certainly wouldnt be the padres.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres