Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why? The Padres have no money. They're not going to lock up 400 million on machado and Hosmer when they have consistently run payrolls under 100 million forever.

They have money, your point is a good one. I think it would take a better offer than we’re willing to offer, and I just don’t see that happening unless it starts to approach something close to Harper’s range. 

I don’t think it’s possible the Sox don’t walk away with at least one guy unless they grossly misplay their hand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Say Hahn has a commitment from Manny for 8/250, with the understanding that if they also sign Bryce, he'll get the same deal.

Hahn: Hey  Scott, how about 8/250?

Scott:  Nope, not nearly enough, we need at least 10/375.

Hahn:  How about 10/350?

Scott:  Are you done with Manny then?

Hahn: No, we're going for both, but I can guarantee you that his contract will not exceed Bryce's

Scott: OK, 10/350 it is!

Hahn signs Harper then immediately changes Manny's terms to 10/350 and announces both signings together.

{Change the actual figures to whatever the market truly is.}

So, the Sox spend 700 million dollars on 2 players over the next 10 years..cmon man.  This isn't The Show

Edited by BackDoorBreach

I hope when this is all over, SoxTalk can collectively meet in the rightfield bleachers and all share a moment of reflection together, to help us all regain our sanity. Maybe even the Sox marketing or PR team(s) could lead an axiety awareness campaign, and use their own fanbase to help raise awareness of this serious issue.

#ANXIETY

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Padres are the biggest threat. The Athletic said that Manny wouldn’t meet without meeting a certain amount. The fact that they met is scary.

San Diego didn't trade for or sign out of free agency, Manny's entire college fraternity like the Sox did (figuratively speaking, of course). I think we're safe.

5 minutes ago, iamshack said:

They have money, your point is a good one. I think it would take a better offer than we’re willing to offer, and I just don’t see that happening unless it starts to approach something close to Harper’s range. 

I don’t think it’s possible the Sox don’t walk away with at least one guy unless they grossly misplay their hand. 

Let's not act like that is particularly unlikely with this team

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

San Diego didn't trade for or sign out of free agency, Manny's entire college fraternity like the Sox did (figuratively speaking, of course). I think we're safe.

Unless the Sox did that to make up for the fact that they were never going to meet his price. Remember when it was being reported way early in the off season saying that they weren’t interested in record breaking contracts etc

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Based on what can we say they could even offer $250 million?  They have a long history of running lesser payrolls than ours.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I hope when this is all over, SoxTalk can collectively meet in the rightfield bleachers and all share a moment of reflection together, to help us all regain our sanity. Maybe even the Sox marketing or PR team(s) could lead an axiety awareness campaign, and use their own fanbase to help raise awareness of this serious issue.

#ANXIETY

Either way I will be forgetting this whole thing over a few several beverages opening day. I just hope they're happy beverages and not angry beverages

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Translation: stay positive?

They have Hosmer, Myers' deal blowing up next year, $25 million to pay riff raff who are on other teams, all the money they spent over the caps on Lat Am talent, 10% of their money going to paying down debt and stadium renovations (something we most assuredly don't have to deal with.)

If they somehow beat the White Sox offer, we might as well just fold up the franchise, because clearly being last in t.v. ratings for the product they've produced the last six years is not bad enough.  Even if they were to make the playoffs, they're not going to get the fans 100% behind them without at least one superstar on the team.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They have Hosmer, Myers' deal blowing up next year, $25 million to pay riff raff who are in other teams, all the money they spent over the caps on Lat Am talent, 10% of their money going to paying down debt and stadium renovations (something we most assuredly don't have to deal with.)

If they somehow beat the White Sox offer, we might as well just fold up the franchise, because clearly being last in t.v. ratings for the product they've produced the last six years is not bad enough.  Even if they were to make the playoffs, they're not going to get the fans 100% behind them without at least one superstar on the team.

I agree with caulfield.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny: Et tu, Padres?
  • Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres