Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, caulfield12 said:

They have Hosmer, Myers' deal blowing up next year, $25 million to pay riff raff who are in other teams, all the money they spent over the caps on Lat Am talent, 10% of their money going to paying down debt and stadium renovations (something we most assuredly don't have to deal with.)

If they somehow beat the White Sox offer, we might as well just fold up the franchise, because clearly being last in t.v. ratings for the product they've produced the last six years is not bad enough.  Even if they were to make the playoffs, they're not going to get the fans 100% behind them without at least one superstar on the team.

I have a couple really close lifelong friends in SD, both huge baseball fans. They categorically hate the Padres (but are still hometown fans by default), calling out specifically the outwardly-facing perceived philosophy of the franchise... not dissimilar from your comments. The fans meme about how the Padres are the team you call when you need to get rid of a bad player, a bum prospect or a long contract. Too bad they called us to get rid of Shields. #puketag

Someone said if the Sox sign Harper and Machado, they'd eat their hat. If Machado chooses the Padres over the Sox, I'll eat mine.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They have Hosmer, Myers' deal blowing up next year, $25 million to pay riff raff who are on other teams, all the money they spent over the caps on Lat Am talent, 10% of their money going to paying down debt and stadium renovations (something we most assuredly don't have to deal with.)

If they somehow beat the White Sox offer, we might as well just fold up the franchise, because clearly being last in t.v. ratings for the product they've produced the last six years is not bad enough.  Even if they were to make the playoffs, they're not going to get the fans 100% behind them without at least one superstar on the team.

My goodness, let's not get blinded here.  

There is plenty to look up  to with the core of young guys coming. 

Manny is one guy, and last I checked the Orioles were not blowing doors with ticket demand and ratings. 

Big picture folks, let's not loose our heads over one guy. 

As we always say, there are no standings for "conducting negotiations in the most prudent and cost-effective manner."

Fans only care about results.

With all the teases the team and its media reps have put out there, it would be the worst blow since whiffing on Miggy due to a lack of top line minor league talent to incentivize a deal.

And that's in hindsight, as this will seem much worse because of how protracted the process has been, and how bad the recent performance on the field and general apathy outside of die hards and minor league prospect addicts.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Manny is one guy, and last I checked the Orioles were not blowing doors with ticket demand and ratings. 

I'm afraid I might have already lot my head somewhere in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

As we always say, there are no standings for "conducting negotiations in the most prudent and cost-effective manner."

Fans only care about results.

With all the teases the team and its media reps have put out there, it would be the worst blow since whiffing on Miggy due to a lack of top line minor league talent to incentivize a deal.

And that's in hindsight, as this will seem much worse because of how protracted the process has been, and how bad the recent performance on the field and general apathy outside of die hards and minor league prospect addicts.

This would be infinitely worse than missing on Miguel Cabrera, as you can't make teams like your prospects more than someone else.  This is all about money if it's between Sox and Padres.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

That was before Kopech's TJ, Moncada going sideways and Giolito pitching like Jerry Kutzler.

Without Jimenez, Cease and Robert, we'd be in a world of hurt right now. 

We still might have to rely more on the Indians losing a war of financial attrition to the baseball gods that cursed Cleveland.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That was before Kopech's TJ, Moncada going sideways and Giolito pitching like Jerry Kutzler.

Without Jimenez, Cease and Robert, we'd be in a world of hurt right now. 

We still might have to rely more on the Indians losing a war of financial attrition to the baseball gods that cursed Cleveland.

I think Kopech and Moncada will be fine.  Giolito is terrible.  

But it's only one full season for those guys, Kopech even less. 

I think that's more of where the angst comes from for Sox fans, seeing the young guys come up and struggle from day one or get hurt coming out of bed.  And that's acceptable.   But I don't see how Manny fixes that.  We'd need 5 Manny Machado's if everyone of these young guys comes up and flops here at the big league level. 

The key to our success is not going to be to get one of these so called "whales."    

Player development.   Can these young elite prospects meet their ceilings at the big league level? 

That's my biggest concern.  

Edited by HOFHurt35

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It’s pretty obvious the Sox planned for this offseason to land a superstar. Yea, missing out won’t halt the rebuild, but this offseason will be a massive failure if they fail to convert on Manny or Harper.

• Like 1

Now remember that  Paul Crane guy tweeted this morning that SD was out after a final push this week. And that Manny made his choice to the Sox. We all kind of blew him off.   At least I did.  Also because he said the Yankees were out on Harper. 

So maybe he did have something?

Edited by smellysox

25 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I think that's more of where the angst comes from for Sox fans, seeing the young guys come up and struggle from day one or get hurt coming out of bed.  And that's acceptable.   But I don't see how Manny fixes that.  We'd need 5 Manny Machado's if everyone of these young guys comes up and flops here at the big league level. 

The key to our success is not going to be to get one of these so called "whales."    

Player development.   Can these young elite prospects meet their ceilings at the big league level? 

I'm extremely confident in Jimenez, Madrigal and Robert...but the pitching is going to be by far the biggest question.

46 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I'm going into this season rooting for and hoping for the best for and from Giolito. Give him a chance!

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres