Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What? The reality that the only reason that either player is even considering the Sox is because their desired teams aren't even close on dollars? The Padres are in a similar position to the Sox and if you're being objective about it, have the greatest collection of young talent in baseball. Add in San Diego's climate, and it is easy to see why they're a more desirable location for those guys than the Sox. The Yankees are the Yankees, and no matter what is said publicly you can never count them out.  Out of all of the suitors, the Sox are probably the least desirable location. Philly has closer proximity to winning and a young budding ace on their staff, and San Diego has nice weather and more talent. If you don't put on the silver and black goggles, it is easy to see why the Sox haven't signed one of them yet, and aren't likely to in the future. 

Most posters here are thinking with their heart, and not their brain. 

FCF119C6-A2BF-4CF7-9809-7F5CFE507161.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly, just seeing that IDK why anyone would sign there. They have never even been in the top half of the league in payroll. They aren't a franchise with cash rich owners either. The Padres are what they are - big spenders not being one.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-largest-contracts-in-padres-franchise-history-20180218-photogallery.html

they did just sign Hosmer to that 144 million dollar deal and dare I say a James shields 75 mil....so they have spent more than the Whitesox on an individual player....

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Plus I hear it can be a bit chilly in Philly from April to May.  I bet Harper & Machado both land in sunny San Diego because it is paradise on Earth year round!

No idea how those guys will be able to do it in October!!! 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly, just seeing that IDK why anyone would sign there. They have never even been in the top half of the league in payroll. They aren't a franchise with cash rich owners either. The Padres are what they are - big spenders not being one.

Plus San Diego is a tiny media market in a state with a huge income tax.  The Padres would have to offer quite a bit more than the Sox to effectively come close to us.

I feel as though I keep up with this thread regularly. Trying to figure out where the doom and gloom is coming from these last few hours. A report that Machado met with another team? Of course he did. He hasn't signed anywhere yet. Why wouldn't he? 

I'm not saying it isn't difficult to think that there is competition...but am I missing something significant to lead to some of the violent mood swings here?

• Like 1

Just now, tdsox17 said:

I feel as though I keep up with this thread regularly. Trying to figure out where the doom and gloom is coming from these last few hours. A report that Machado met with another team? Of course he did. He hasn't signed anywhere yet. Why wouldn't he? 

I'm not saying it isn't difficult to think that there is competition...but am I missing something significant to lead to some of the violent mood swings here?

I think it’s because a dude on Twitter who initially called San Diego’s interest or something like that and has 300 followers mentioned it’s between the Yanks and Padres 

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Padres the past 10 years in payroll:

2018 - 25th

2017 - 28th

2016 - 16th 

2015 - 22nd

2014 - 21st 

2013 - 26th

2012 - 30th

2011 - 28th

2010 - 29th

2009 - 29th

IN 2010, the Padres nearly had a payroll that was lower than the $ Manny is asking for per year lol.

They have never spent more than 112 million in a season. They've spent over 100 million twice in their franchises history.

Nothing indicates the San Diego Padres can compete, salary wise, with the White Sox.

The funny part is the Sox have only gone $17m higher than the Padres top.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The funny part is the Sox have only gone $17m higher than the Padres top.

Yes, but the Sox sustained top tier payrolls. Also, the Sox payrolls were higher earlier which effectively makes them higher.

Jerry proved he'd spend top 5 money for a winner. San Diego has never proven they'll spend top 15 money period.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdsox17 said:

It's the lack of neurofeedback therapy. Giolito can recommend someone ;

Trauma, stress, injury can cause the brain to get “stuck” using dysfunctional pathways. At the LA Neurofeedback Center we focus on “rebooting” the brain and getting it out of these frozen patterns and back to functioning at an optimal level.”

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

yeah the irony of that post haha

What is ironic? That the Padres averaged payrolls around 25th in baseball for 15 years and the Sox were about 8th over a 10 year period.

What's ironic is people think those things are similar because ONE year in 15 the Padres spent 30ish million less than the sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I guess the $17 million thing is a great stat if you want to provoke outrage, but it's both untrue/misleading and not at all indicative of the respective teams' spending habits. 

Just angry anti-Jerry people here. Being top 5 spenders multiple times and being compared to a team that is sitting in the 20s every year and has one year with a total payroll of 37 million lol.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Plus San Diego is a tiny media market in a state with a huge income tax.  The Padres would have to offer quite a bit more than the Sox to effectively come close to us.

This. If you want to be a sure fire hall of famer with amazing stats you play at GRF in the gigantic Chicago market and help win a championship. Instant sponsorship opportunities and the face of an entire division. In SD you go to play quietly, enjoy the sun and get beautiful women. This is exactly why I laughed so hard when Boras started playing the Padres card....the face of the league was thinking about going there....cue the Dr. Evil.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:
Hey well
I'm a friendly stranger in the black Sedan
Won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy
I'm a lovable man
And I can take you to the nearest star.... hopefully  Manny Machado

Going deep for a band from berwyn in the  Chicago area.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Just angry anti-Jerry people here. Being top 5 spenders multiple times and being compared to a team that is sitting in the 20s every year and has one year with a total payroll of 37 million lol.

No one can say the Sox don't operate like a big market team if they're consistently top 5 in payroll (when they're actually good and willing to spend a bit).

11 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This. If you want to be a sure fire hall of famer with amazing stats you play at GRF in the gigantic Chicago market and help win a championship. Instant sponsorship opportunities and the face of an entire division. In SD you go to play quietly, enjoy the sun and get beautiful women. This is exactly why I laughed so hard when Boras started playing the Padres card....the face of the league was thinking about going there....cue the Dr. Evil.

Not to mention by joining the Padres you’re in a division with a juggernaut, while the Sox are in the weakest division in baseball.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres