Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I feel like Manny Machado is a concoction of our collective imaginations, created entirely to make us think we finally have a shot at a top FA. If Machado is so real, why isn't there real news about other teams besides althe harmless San Diego Padres being actually interested??? Only this fake news created be us. We created the Padres distraction to make it seem real but not threatening. Us White Sox fans, other fans can only look the other way and allow us to feed into this imaginative world. They just feel sorry for us. 

We've created insider personalities to feed into our imaginative world. raBBit, WSD, bucket, shack etc are all figments of our imaginations manifested by overly zealous people and "confirmed " by us to make us continue believing this world is real.

Dan Clark, another figment. Created by us and subsequently destroyed by us. Hector Gomez, created by us. 

Ok, I'm done now. I need some sleep.

Edited by South Sider

9 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

91 and 06 were the only years they went over 35k.  I was mostly kidding with my initial comment though, it's attainable.  2.5 to 3 million is the goal.

I think the fans are as excited as they've ever been. We know we have 7 years of good times coming. I think starting next year we will get to 30k and average 30k to 35k over the next 5 years after. The Sox just have to keep fans engaged and do their part. They also need to build that community up some to give fans a reason to be at the park longer on game days. They've started doing it, but more needs to be done. 

• Haha 1

I’m a patient man. I can wait for this but at a certain point the distraction needs to end and the team has to move on in my opinion. I would have the start of the season as the deadline. After that I wouldn’t enagage in any more discussions. You take it or leave it. Not because you want to be a hard ass or because of pride but because if a player hasn’t decided at that point then his motivation is in question and it’s clear he didn’t really want to be with organization. If he was motivated to play the game and be committed to your team he would have made sure the two sides were engaged as much as possible to get something done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Which one of you guys wrote this 😂😂 or is Hahn negotiating through the media again :

Memo to Manny Machado:

Please be advised that if you’re seriously considering signing with the White Sox, your days of slacking off are over, no matter how many millions our chairman, Jerry Reinsdorf, throws at you. You will be adored by Sox fans and can quickly become the face of the franchise,…”

Edited by Orlando

28 minutes ago, shipps said:

I’m a patient man. I can wait for this but at a certain point the distraction needs to end and the team has to move on in my opinion. I would have the start of the season as the deadline. After that I wouldn’t enagage in any more discussions. You take it or leave it. Not because you want to be a hard ass or because of pride but because if a player hasn’t decided at that point then his motivation is in question and it’s clear he didn’t really want to be with organization. If he was motivated to play the game and be committed to your team he would have made sure the two sides were engaged as much as possible to get something done. 

I think the worst thing about the padres late push is it validates the players waiting for late entrants because otherwise it really felt like whatever they signed for in late feb was basically same they could have got in january.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

So if a player signs with the Sox, do they only get to enjoy the Southside and south suburbs? Do they not get to hang out downtown, River West, or up north? Do they not get the marketing opportunities Chicago offers? Do they not get that world class city feel? Can they not go to North Avenue Beach and enjoy the sun and women? Will they not get covered by the Tribune and Sun Times? Will they not get talked about on 670 or ESPN 1000? 

Lastly, do these players interact with every fan in the market? Or is it just the 35k fans at the game and the individuals they meet in public? 

The Sox get maybe one segment per day on the Score and ESPN 1000. I listen to it, I know. Sometimes they don't talk about them at all, even during baseball season. 

And the Tribune has zero Sox beat writers. They just run AP stories about them. You don't think that says it all when the biggest paper in town doesn't even consider them relevant enough to have someone cover the team? Shit, forget nationally, they're largely ignored in Chicago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox get maybe one segment per day on the Score and ESPN 1000. I listen to it, I know. Sometimes they don't talk about them at all, even during baseball season. 

And the Tribune has zero Sox beat writers. They just run AP stories about them. 

That's because they have been bad.  If they become good, this changes.  It isn't forever 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think the fans are as excited as they've ever been. We know we have 7 years of good times coming. I think starting next year we will get to 30k and average 30k to 35k over the next 5 years after. The Sox just have to keep fans engaged and do their part. They also need to build that community up some to give fans a reason to be at the park longer on game days. They've started doing it, but more needs to be done. 

I think you are as excited as you've ever been. I don't think that is true of all Sox fans. I remain cautiously optimistic in all regards, but in no ways do I think we'll hit 30-35k consistently. I think you have to draw on the past to determine the future. The fact remains this franchise doesn't win, doesn't spend and doesn't draw fans. Until proven otherwise I'll remain cautiously optimistic that we CAN get there. However even if we successfully rebuild and put out very competitive teams... you may have to factor in a baseball strike... likely will have to factor in a bad economy...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's because they have been bad.  If they become good, this changes.  It isn't forever 

They talked about the Cubs more in 2012, when they were losing 100+ games and the Sox were leading the division for 114 games before falling off at the end, but I digress......It was a lot of Epstein verbal fellatio. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They talked about the Cubs more in 2012, when they were losing 100+ games and the Sox were leading the division for 114 games before falling off at the end, but I digress......It was a lot of Epstein verbal fellatio. 

That's nice 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That's nice 

They were stroking him when he accumulated the talent, but nobody is ripping him for squandering it. I hope both Eloy and Cease are both stars on the South Side so they can continue to call Epstein a "genius". There is an incredible double standard that nobody is talking about. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They were stroking him when he accumulated the talent, but nobody is ripping him for squandering it. I hope both Eloy and Cease are both stars on the South Side so they can continue to call Epstein a "genius". Nice going, Einstein. 

I don't think it's easy as we make it out to be as armchair GM's. I'm in the camp that Epstein is a bit overrated. He has a great track record in bringing consistent contenders though. I do think he struggles in the FA market a lot though.

The Sox are going to have more than a few tough decisinos to make (hopefully) in the coming 4-5 years. Do you extend Eloy? Do you extend Dunning? Do you trade them at the deadline because you're 6 games out in August in 2024 and they're impending FA (not using correct years here, just scenarios) ala a Bryce Harper and Nationals situation? Or do you go for it since you have a talented team. This scenario will play itself out a ton over the next 5-8 years. Which prospects are you willing to part with for a NOW run? Which do you hold onto? Which players do you let walk? How do you ultimately become the Cardinals where you balance that all and win every single year?

In my dream scenario we are the Cardinals. A team that can spend as necessary on some big names, but also lets a few walk. Always balancing. Always toeing the line.

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

And the Tribune has zero Sox beat writers. They just run AP stories about them. You don't think that says it all when the biggest paper in town doesn't even consider them relevant enough to have someone cover the team? Shit, forget nationally, they're largely ignored in Chicago. 

It's because they suck and have sucked for 10 years. Also, who cares what is going on in a dying industry anyway. 

Edited by mqr

Listen, I don't think I've been all that irrational. 

Based on what we've heard so far, it seems like Machado and Harper don't want to be here. 

I think the Sox have a bigger potential market than 30% of the greater Chicago area, but they seem content with what they have. If they want to build the fanbase, they need to win and they need to be more aggressive in marketing and taking on the Cubs. There are advantages to GRF over Wrigley. 1) It is easier to get to. 2) it is easier to park your car 3) the food is better 4) it doesn't smell like piss and has modern restrooms. There are more reasons as well. The Sox marketing has to be willing to take on the Cubs and they haven't been. That is on JR and the board. 

With regard to the product on the field, while I won't deny that the Sox have less talent overall than the Braves and Padres, they also probably have accumulated the most high ceiling talent in the Majors. They have 3 players who have received, at one point or another in their career, a 65 FV: Moncada, Giolito, and Jimenez.  Kopech has been a 60, and They also have two others who could reach 60 or 65 by the end of the season in Robert and Cease. That is a reason to be excited about the future. 

I felt significantly better about the future of the team last year, before Moncada and Giolito had their struggles, but the talent is still there for both of them and they're still 23 and 24 respectively. Lopez looks like a future Carlos Carrasco, so that is good news. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listen, I don't think I've been all that irrational. 

Based on what we've heard so far, it seems like Machado and Harper don't want to be here. 

I think the Sox have a bigger potential market than 30% of the greater Chicago area, but they seem content with what they have. If they want to build the fanbase, they need to win and they need to be more aggressive in marketing and taking on the Cubs. There are advantages to GRF over Wrigley. 1) It is easier to get to. 2) it is easier to park your car 3) the food is better 4) it doesn't smell like piss and has modern restrooms. There are more reasons as well. The Sox marketing has to be willing to take on the Cubs and they haven't been. That is on JR and the board. 

With regard to the product on the field, while I won't deny that the Sox have less talent overall than the Braves and Padres, they also probably have accumulated the most high ceiling talent in the Majors. They have 4 players who have received, at one point or another in their career, a 65 FV: Moncada, Giolito, Kopech and Jimenez. They also have two others who could reach that by the end of the season in Robert and Cease. That is a reason to be excited about the future. 

It would be hard to argue with you. If the White Sox are offering the most money, and they want to play here, it would seem something other than waiting would have happened by now.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be hard to argue with you. If the White Sox are offering the most money, and they want to play here, it would seem something other than waiting would have happened by now.

Exactly. 

I'm not willing to call the offseason a colossal failure if they don't get one of them, because the Sox can only do so much. If they don't want to be here, there isn't much they can do. Also, if they don't want to be here, it doesn't make sense to sign them anyway because there is risk that either player will either cash a paycheck, request a trade, or opt out right before team becomes really good. I don't want either guy if they're not committed. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres