Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it is team preference now. They would rather not be White Sox. They are holding out hope, somehow their desired spot has a sudden opening. It's most likely not going to happen, but it does fit with Olney's safety net. The White Sox are the fallback plan. They aren't plan A., maybe not even plan B or C, but they are plan something.

this is so, so DUMB. just stop

• Thanks 2

People here are taking 'fallback' the wrong way. It is about money. The Sox have been in the rumors as the team willing to spend the second most money. That's what this is all about.

Philly is like NL-White Sox. Harper going there wont be about them being more ideal than us as a fit. It will be pure dollars. These are the free agents who are setting the union's playing field for the larger negotiation to come

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

This honestly is one of the dumbest arguments in life. It's just so ridiculously short sighted and not based in any sort of reality.

It's really not. It's money he will never spend.  If you were offered a job somewhere you really liked and they were willing to pay you all the money you will ever need plus many millions more and you were offered another job at a place you would rather not be, but they were offering the same, but even millions on top of that, what would you choose? 

I don't blame players or anyone else for taking the most money. But in terms of reality, if money is the thing, at some point having double or triple more than you will ever need isn't that important except for dick measuring contests.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It's really not. It's money he will never spend.  If you were offered a job somewhere and they were willing to pay you all the money you will ever need plus many millions more and you were offered another job at a place you would rather not be, but they were offering the same, but even millions on top of that, what would you choose? 

I don't blame players or anyone else for taking the most money. But in terms of reality, if money is the thing, at some point having double or triple more than you will ever need isn't that important except for dick measuring contests.

What about setting up your kids and grandchildren and great grandchildren, etc. for life?  You are making a terrible argument. Really awful. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

This honestly is one of the dumbest arguments in life. It's just so ridiculously short sighted and not based in any sort of reality.

Really, the biggest difference between a guy like Machado and the 98% who don't make isn't physical, it is mental.  Plenty of people have physical tools, but not everyone has the mental tools and drive to be a superstar.  When you combine those things, that is how you get a superstar.  That just doesn't turn off when it comes to your paycheck when you have that mentality.  Forget $100 million, this is the type of person that will fight you over A million dollars.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What about setting up your kids and grandchildren and great grandchildren, etc. for life?  You are making a terrible argument. Really awful. 

If the White Sox are offerning him $250 million, unless he's a total idiot, when his time comes, his estate will be more than significant, and it certainly isn't going to change much waiting another couple of weeks. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Really, the biggest difference between a guy like Machado and the 98% who don't make isn't physical, it is mental.  Plenty of people have physical tools, but not everyone has the mental tools and drive to be a superstar.  When you combine those things, that is how you get a superstar.  That just doesn't turn off when it comes to your paycheck when you have that mentality.  Forget $100 million, this is the type of person that will fight you over A million dollars.

As I said, it's all about ego. 

The players are going to be just as excited about taking 30% off their paycheck as you would be.  People never apply their advice to players to themselves. With pro athletes it is always greed for some reason. But if you walk into a meeting with your boss, how excited are you about forking over 30% of your next raise without a hassle?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

The players are going to be just as excited about taking 30% off their paycheck as you would be.  People never apply their advice to players to themselves. With pro athletes it is always greed for some reason. But if you walk into a meeting with your boss, how excited are you about forking over 30% of your next raise without a hassle?

I think the population is in general much more pro-player than in 1994, when the million dollar athletes became the norm, and that seemed obscene. Now that all the franchises are worth a billion, people seem to get it.

When Jordan was in the NBA he pushed the yearly salary to the number it had never gotten to before (at least as far as per year payment). Now he himself has become an owner.

He had goals for that "money he would never spend," just on a bigger stage than any of us can fathom. Maybe a MLB player wants to be an owner one day so he can feed off active players' talents for the next row of yachts.

Whether we like that mindset or not, it's silly to expect a generational wealthy person has no dreams left. That's projecting our own thoughts on it more than operating in reality - the false idea that with a certain $ amount we would be set and just on a beach til the end of time (or rather, the false idea that everyone can and will think that way)

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yeah, and god forbid he think about anyone else in his life, or those that come after him. 

You said there really is no difference between $200 million and $400 million. I would counter and say "No, it's actually twice as much money, because you know, math." 

So I'll answer your question another way. If someone offered me a job for $200 million dollars for 7 years, and another place offered me $400 million dollars for 7 years,  same exact job but it was in a location I didn't really want to be in, and the company didn't have the best reputation....I'm taking the $400 million dollars EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. Anyone that says different is either a liar and/or irrational. It's not like he's being asked to go to prison for 7 years, in this scenario he's being asked to play a game in a place that maybe he doesn't prefer. 

Without question one of the dumbest debates we've ever had on this board. 

Good for you. But it wouldn't be irrational to take $200 million if you would be much happier somewhere else. The fact of the matter is, your life moving forward isn't going to be any different from a financial standpoint once those 7 years are over. And you may have been happier those 7 years.  Either way, his family and offspring will be well taken care of. And the difference between what Manny can get from the White Sox if Lozano wanted to wrap this up today, vs. what he could get from the White Sox if Lozano wants to drag this out until the middle of March, isn't significant at all. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Every situation is different. But there is a big difference trying to get more when it's $110 million vs. trying to get more when it's $250 million. And if the White Sox are offering $250 million, and the Yankees are out, what is Machado waiting for if this is where he wants to be? He would rather be somewhere else, or the offer is more Levine, Olney like. Texiera said it on MLBN. These guys are going to wind up goind somewhere they would rather not be. I don't feel sorry for them, because they could go play exactly where they want to play and still make enough money not to have ever worry about money again at age 26. But this is ridiculous money. There really is no difference between $200 million and $400 million except ego. It's money they will never spend.

The other possiblity is that they are waiting for one of the GMs to blink and offer more money. Waiting just because they don't want to play on the White Sox doesn't make sense.

It doesn't have to be that they don't want to play for the Sox, there are other possibilities. It could just be that they are trying to squeeze every penny out of any team and there is no hurry to go to spring training.

Just now, Tony said:

Again, your just lying here. It would be different, I'd have DOUBLE the money in the scenario you've laid out. So yes, my financial situation would be much different. 

I'm taking the $400 million, and done with the discussion. This has been another episode of "Dick Allen takes a weird stance and decides to die on his hill." 

If it's money you wouldn't be spending, it wouldn't change your life. 

If you had told me on 12/15 that I would be sitting in this thread 2 months later with the same amount of info and i would have checked in every day still...

I would have basically done the same thing I did but been less enthusiastic.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

If it's money you wouldn't be spending, it wouldn't change your life. 

I thought we argued all summer that it's all about the money and nothing but the money. Players will always go to the team that offers the most money. End of story.

Has your view changed on this?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres