Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As I said, it's all about ego. 

I mean.... I think this is low on the list. It's about Machado and Harpers duty to their fraternity of brothers playing in the MLB, the MLBPA, it's still about MILLIONS of dollars that, even though he'll have a ton, is still MILLIONS of dollars. It's about a fair market value. It's about ego somewhere in there...but it's about being competitive. These guys are competitive more than anything and it could be over winning a video game or winning a $250mm contract and they'll react the same way. they want to win.

I used to think along the same lines when I graduated college.. I saw people in my industry and go... that guy is so wealthy, why would he leave a good paying job to jump to another company just for a little bit more when he has everything I could ever want here? Job security, comfortable, no worries. But then you start working, and you start outworking your colleagues. You start putting in the time and the effort to be better than the rest. And then when you see someone who's not as good making more than you... it eats at you. You can be very comfortable in a lifestyle and have it all, but still want more. It's natural. So although Machado will have more money than he'll know what to do with.. it's about looking at some of these mega contracts that have been given out and saying... hey.. im better than that guy.. and that was 6 years ago... why aren't I making more. Or hey.. I'm worth more than Cano.. but I can't get more than him... it's a certain drive these guys have. it's what makes them the best. it's what pushes them even though he'll make more money in the first year of his contract than he needs for the rest of his life. It's a catch 22... cause you need that drive and that mentality to keep pushing your training and become the best despite you have a guaranteed contract.  I fault Machado zero for holding out for the largest contract possible.

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What were Darvish's pre-Cubs offers? And how many months was he sitting on the Cubs offer?

JD Martinez signed for less than half of what "insiders" say the Sox offered Machado. 

None of this matters.

Jeeze. Manny didnt not sign because he hates Chicago hot dogs. He didnt sign because his agent hasnt determined that the offer they have received from any team is good enough for their expectations. He didnt sign with the Yankees for supposedly 220 million, so he hates them too? 

Free agency isnt like finding a girlfriend - it's like finding a sugar momma. Manny doesnt give a fuck how pretty the white Sox or any team is. Manny cares about getting the most money possible with the ome major contract he is likely to sign.

People are making this personal when it's 100% business.

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think it is team preference now. They would rather not be White Sox. They are holding out hope, somehow their desired spot has a sudden opening. It's most likely not going to happen, but it does fit with Olney's safety net. The White Sox are the fallback plan. They aren't plan A., maybe not even plan B or C, but they are plan something.

Lol this is truly amazing. It is obviously not team preference. For anyone thinking rationally, this is 100% about money and setting a market for other free agents and making sure they maximize their earnings.

• Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

None of this matters.

Jeeze. Manny didnt not sign because he hates Chicago hot dogs. He didnt sign because his agent hasnt determined that the offer they have received from any team is good enough for their expectations. He didnt sign with the Yankees for supposedly 220 million, so he hates them too? 

Free agency isnt like finding a girlfriend - it's like finding a sugar momma. Manny doesnt give a fuck how pretty the white Sox or any team is. Manny cares about getting the most money possible with the ome major contract he is likely to sign.

People are making this personal when it's 100% business.

Good. I'm sure this strategy of waiting will work well. And at least $100 million will be added to the offers in a couple of weeks.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol this is truly amazing. It is obviously not team preference. For anyone thinking rationally, this is 100% about money and setting a market for other free agents and making sure they maximize their earnings.

Of course it's about money. But at this point, they are hoping a team they would rather play for, not the White Sox or Phillies, somehow comes up with the cash.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Good. I'm sure this strategy of waiting will work well. And at least $100 million will be added to the offers in a couple of weeks.

Again, he's not losing anything by waiting. So remove your hyperbole and it makes sense he continues to wait.

At some point finding lodging in chicago and "settling in" may start to become an issue (hopefully very soon) but we are still just 2 days into P&C reporting.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres