Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I really have a feeling this ends next week. I don’t think it will drag until March. Either a team will match or Manny will settle. These reports about waiting til March, being unhappy and the Padres stuff seem like he’s trying to squeeze money out of someone in a last ditch effort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Shut up, this is preposterous 

yesterday my wife asked what i was doing after staring noticeably for at least 5 minutes the manny machado instagram post with him and his wife because i was trying to figure out what the black and white logo was on his shirt. No good recoveries there.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Again, he's not losing anything by waiting. So remove your hyperbole and it makes sense he continues to wait.

At some point finding lodging in chicago and "settling in" may start to become an issue (hopefully very soon) but we are still just 2 days into P&C reporting.

You're probably correct. But he is risking himself getting injured or some other unforseen circumstance. I don't think the White Sox or Phillies offers are going lower. If Harper signs, one will come off the board, but I don't see how the other one would then dramatically increase. I think the SF, SD, mystery team stuff is all BS. \

The funny thing is, if he truly is holding out for what Heyman suggests, he has definitely limited his market to 2 teams, and one of them will probably sign the other guy, so it will be one team, and neither are dumb enough to bid against themselves, so it might make sense for him to sign where he would rather be. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

You're probably correct. But he is risking himself getting injured or some other unforseen circumstance. I don't think the White Sox or Phillies offers are going lower. If Harper signs, one will come off the board, but I don't see how the other one would then dramatically increase. I think the SF, SD, mystery team stuff is all BS. \

The funny thing is, if he truly is holding out for what Heyman suggests, he has definitely limited his market to 2 teams, and one of them will probably sign the other guy, so it will be one team, and neither are dumb enough to bid against themselves, so it might make sense for him to sign where he would rather be. 

I thought almost all the players made a huge mistake waiting for better deals. But stupid San Diego may have just validated this approach so that in future offseasons the same thing happens.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Someone better at math could probably confirm this, but this is why people need to chill out about SD potentially offering more money. Taxes play a big part.

It’s not quite as straight up as Dave implies, because you pay taxes where the games take place. So your paying ~100 games worth of taxes in CA

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 2

We really need Arenado to extend, just so we can see an exact price point for Machado.

What teams realistically would suddenly jump back into this if Nolan was removed from the board?  The Yankees would suddenly be willing to allocate $250~300 million?

It would also put some additional pressure on Hahn and JR to weigh the magnitude of missing on Manny and then having to fight tooth and nail over Rendon or Bogaerts.

Edited by caulfield12

LOL at 200 extra million not changing your life. You keep saying "if he does not spend the money it wont change his life". How do you know he wouldn't?  He could think big picture and invest in businesses. He could have plans for it for his children, grandchildren, etc. Even if he is not the one spending it, it could give him piece of mind about his children which would change his life.

23 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Heyman is a dope. His market is not likely to improve when Harper goes off the board; quite the opposite. Discounting the Giants (Harper doesn't want that park) and maybe the Nats getting back in, his suitors are the same suitors as Machado. Maybe the Sox get antsy and decide to give Manny an extra $50 mil after Bryce signs. But more likely, Machado just loses an interested team and therefore more leverage. Right now the Sox are bidding against the Phillies and this boogieman of the Padres maybe wanting to spend. Remove the Phillies from that equation and it's just the Sox vs. the Padres scarecrow.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

yesterday my wife asked what i was doing after staring noticeably for at least 5 minutes the manny machado instagram post with him and his wife because i was trying to figure out what the black and white logo was on his shirt. No good recoveries there.

Just tell her the truth 

GO AWAY IM BATING

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It’s not quite as straight up as Dave implies, because you pay taxes where the games take place. So your paying ~100 games worth of taxes in CA

The Padres play about 9 road games in each LA and SF. 100 games a year in Cali.

Having said that, this tax argument just proves how ridiculous this saga has become. I realize taxes are important to income but have we really reached the point where we are arguing about taxes. I hate this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If nothing else, we now know that J Michael Robertson is full of it. He said this would be done yesterday.

He also said it would be a Soxfest surprise, then said a snag occurred so the only Soxfest surprise would be the Joc Pederson trade. So far, his calls look like Adam Engel in a box score.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Good for you. But it wouldn't be irrational to take $200 million if you would be much happier somewhere else. The fact of the matter is, your life moving forward isn't going to be any different from a financial standpoint once those 7 years are over. And you may have been happier those 7 years.  Either way, his family and offspring will be well taken care of. And the difference between what Manny can get from the White Sox if Lozano wanted to wrap this up today, vs. what he could get from the White Sox if Lozano wants to drag this out until the middle of March, isn't significant at all. 

Dude this is complete nonsense.

200 million dollars is a shit ton of money even if you have 200 million. 

Athletes have gone broke making more. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

The Padres play about 9 road games in each LA and SF. 100 games a year in Cali.

Having said that, this tax argument just proves how ridiculous this saga has become. I realize taxes are important to income but have we really reached the point where we are arguing about taxes. I hate this.

At least we are past the point of personally reconstructing hundred of contract variables. 

Trade talk >>>>>>>> Free Agent talk

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yep your taxed on where the games are played. So games in NY, NY tax etc. Its still higher in CA, and the easier baseline is 50% of salary would be paid at a higher rate.

So on $30mil, $15mil is at the higher rate. 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We really need Arenado to extend, just so we can see an exact price point for Machado.

What teams realistically would suddenly jump back into this if Nolan was removed from the board?  The Yankees would suddenly be willing to allocate $250~300 million?

It would also put some additional pressure on Hahn and JR to weigh the magnitude of missing on Manny and then having to fight tooth and nail over Rendon or Bogaerts.

Arenado is not going to sign and extension before Manny signs. He has another year left and no reason to jump the gun. If he's re-upping with the Rockies, he will let Manny set the market, then sign a deal for slightly more.

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yep your taxed on where the games are played. So games in NY, NY tax etc. Its still higher in CA, and the easier baseline is 50% of salary would be paid at a higher rate.

And $15M is not going to be the difference maker.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Right, but as other mentioned, the Padres will have 19 road games a year between LAD and SF. Throw in an interleague Angels series every few years, too. So instead of 50%, it's 62.5%.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres