Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yep your taxed on where the games are played. So games in NY, NY tax etc. Its still higher in CA, and the easier baseline is 50% of salary would be paid at a higher rate.

So on $30mil, $15mil is at the higher rate. 

You also need to factor in that some cities have an extra tax on people who work in the city for less than 4 days at a time. This is a tax to specifically target athletes as for some reason it doesn't apply to business travelers who attend meetings in said city.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

yesterday my wife asked what i was doing after staring noticeably for at least 5 minutes the manny machado instagram post with him and his wife because i was trying to figure out what the black and white logo was on his shirt. No good recoveries there.

Yesterday my girlfriend took a photo of the two of us, and in the reflection of my glasses you can clearly see I'm holding my phone with Soxtalk's page open. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If nothing else, we now know that J Michael Robertson is full of it. He said this would be done yesterday.

Yesterday he said that the announcement is on hold because we're trying to sign Harper too. Which is part of why all the #both chatter occurred here yesterday afternoon 

Passan is good:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26002896/the-bryce-manny-stalemate-latest-mlb-free-agency

This is fantastic and does not roll out numbers but it does suggest what we've all kind of been suggesting, that 250M is too low and 300M is too high. Maybe 280M is our end point? For Manny at least.

Edited by Princess Dye

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would love to know how Bryce signing first would help Manny. 

Heyman is the biggest agent pole smoker in the industry.

If Bryce signs with any team that's not the Sox or Phillies, then it's possible the Phillies (especially) get desperate and raise their offer to Manny in order to not strike out on both.

3 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Passan is good:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26002896/the-bryce-manny-stalemate-latest-mlb-free-agency

This is fantastic and does not roll out numbers but it does suggest what we've all kind of been suggesting, that 250M is too low and 300M is too high. Maybe 280M is our end point? For Manny at least.

TL:DR strap in boys and girls, this shitshow has no end in sight!

Just now, fathom said:

If Bryce signs with any team that's not the Sox or Phillies, then it's possible the Phillies (especially) get desperate and raise their offer to Manny in order to not strike out on both.

Yes, so if Bryce signs with a team no one thinks he'll sign with...

Also, Boras isnt signing first. Baseball is allowing agents to run their game. Boras and Lozano trying to show who has bigger balls and is better at their job. It's a big waste of time.

You are worth what people are willing to give you whether or not you like. That's the way it is.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah, but who else would bite on Bryce? He won't go to SD because marketing and the Yankees don't need him. Giants would be the only potential option...and I just don't see it.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Really, the biggest difference between a guy like Machado and the 98% who don't make isn't physical, it is mental.  Plenty of people have physical tools, but not everyone has the mental tools and drive to be a superstar.  When you combine those things, that is how you get a superstar.  That just doesn't turn off when it comes to your paycheck when you have that mentality.  Forget $100 million, this is the type of person that will fight you over A million dollars.

Hell, we have seen players and teams go to arbitration over a few hundred thousand dollars. In some of those scenarios the cost of the lawyers is probably almost the difference in the sides.

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Of course it's about money. But at this point, they are hoping a team they would rather play for, not the White Sox or Phillies, somehow comes up with the cash.

Wait, so what is your argument? That he doesn't want to play for the Sox or Philllies so he is waiting for a team to match our offer so he can go there instead? Because I feel like most people here (and the media reports seem to confirm this) believe that, if all else were equal, he would prefer to play for the Yankees, but they are not offering anything close to the highest offers, so now he is simply waiting for a team to reach what he thinks is an acceptable level (probably $300M) and he is willing to wait so that teams feel pressure to move closer to that amount. Basically no matter what he is going to take a huge offer because there are more big offers out there (CHW, PHI, SD) than there are big players, so by waiting he is attempting to maximize his contract while also having very little downside. If he or his agent believe he can get another $30m for waiting another month, why wouldn't he do that? That is literally getting potentially $1m per day for just waiting. And again, what is the downside? They know they have us as a fallback. We aren't going to fill his spot and we don't think we are going to compete this year so if he is still a little rusty at the beginning of the year its not that big of a deal.

24 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The Padres play about 9 road games in each LA and SF. 100 games a year in Cali.

Having said that, this tax argument just proves how ridiculous this saga has become. I realize taxes are important to income but have we really reached the point where we are arguing about taxes. I hate this.

I don't think its really that ridiculous of a discussion. It plays out all the time in the NBA with the max contract and some teams playing in states with no income tax versus states with large income taxes. IIRC, another sport (can't remember which, likely either hockey or soccer) computes the cap hit as the money that goes to the player and then teams simply figure out how much the contract needs to be to get to that amount for the player. If the luxury tax really does become a hard cap this is something you might see the teams in California arguing for in the next CBA.

Neither Harpchado will take home more than $10M/ yr if some people have their way. 70% tax if > $10M plus another 10% state tax plus real estate tax, agents, lawyers, accountants, etc.   Plus 50% tax on the first $10M  

Lucky to bring home $5M out of $35M. 

Edited by Baker
  • Thanks 1

Now that we're seeing these arbitration deals happen, it kind of marks a last landmark thing for the players union. They were fighting and fighting for players to not to have to accept these cheap security deals. Now that Nola and Severino did that, maybe there's a little more impetus for Harpchado to fall in line with their top offers. 

That's one read. Also if they are fighting now to preserve what they can for union-mates in later years, then we may be in for more waiting.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres