Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, fathom said:

This is where I actually do think the ego aspect of money kicks in

If the money is exactly equal between us and San Diego, I have a really hard time seeing him choosing the Padres given his disdain for the west coast, his family and friends being on the Sox, the much easier AL Central, etc.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Also, back to the contract issue, I'm sure front loading the deal as much as possible the first 3 years before an opt-out would be important in this situation.

You can't deviate from the average AAV by too much, up or down.  Which means you can't really front load, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Baker said:

Neither Harpchado will take home more than $10M/ yr if some people have their way. 70% tax if > $10M plus another 10% state tax plus real estate tax, agents, lawyers, accountants, etc. 

$10M tops. 

Ugh. Can we not go here? It literally doesn't matter for the discussion at hand.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So you propose spending more money than you need to just because someone else wants it?

I wouldn't begrudge them for hitting that mark even though no one else is there yet, no I wouldn't. Because in the end it isn't proposing more money than they need to, its offering the amount that they need get it done before it gets all f'ed up by some other variable. If they are going to do that now instead of wait til later they can eliminate all the risk involved of losing out on him for around the same cost. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shipps said:

I wouldn't begrudge them for hitting that mark even though no one else is there yet, no I wouldn't. Because in the end it isn't proposing more money than they need to, its offering the amount that they need get it done before it gets all f'ed up by some other variable. If they are going to do that now instead of wait til later they can eliminate all the risk involved of losing out on him for around the same cost. 

We agree!! My thoughts exactly. Get it done!!

I personally live in a reality that I am aware that my favorite team has to overpay and pay more than a lot of other clubs for a prime free agent talent to come here. I am completely aware of this reality and I am at peace with it.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

I personally live in a reality that I am aware that my favorite team has to overpay and pay more than a lot of other clubs for a prime free agent talent to come here. I am completely aware of this reality and I am at peace with it.  

The Padres are not one of those teams we need to significantly outbid, though.

23 minutes ago, Saufley said:

For a little extra cash, how much can these guys actually earn from local advertising deals once they sign? Chump change for them or some real money? Anyone have some knowledge of this? 

I’ve seen some of these deals. It’s significant money if you’re an arb/pre-arb star, but it’s chump change if you’ve signed a nine-figure free agent deal. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Seeing a lot of these types of comments about the Phillies presser today. Maybe they are out on Machado.

I wonder if the hold up is that only the White Sox are seriously in on both Machado and Harper. Each player is shopping around because no one is offering more for either of them. Its sounds crazy but who knows.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wonder if the hold up is that only the White Sox are seriously in on both Machado and Harper. Each player is shopping around because no one is offering more for either of them. Its sounds crazy but who knows.

Possible! Here is another one. 

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saufley said:

For a little extra cash, how much can these guys actually earn from local advertising deals once they sign? Chump change for them or some real money? Anyone have some knowledge of this? 

Bryce Harper would not be an extra little cash. If a major local corporation gets behind him this could lead to a 500K + yearly partnership, and generally a name like his would be at least 5-7 concurrent campaigns. Think Auto dealerships, McDonalds regional campaigns. United airlines all would court him immediately. 

Manny would get similar looks, but not on the scale that Bryce would. 

Also of note...San Diego would not have nearly as many opportunities because lack of major corporations and much smaller city scale. Philly is a medium sized city so it would be good, but NYC, LA and Chicago are Advertising Agency behemoths. And Boras is selling this BIG time. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres