Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I very much believe the reports that Machado is holding out for $300 million. Why wouldn't he? Have to think that some team, at some point, eventually will just do it. Maybe its tomorrow, maybe its the day before Opening Day, but I think he holds out for that. And if its true that he has offers in the 8-year, $260 million range, I have no reason to think that whoever those teams are offering that, would have no problem adding an extra 2 years and 40 million on to that offer.

I don't think that's the case at all.  As you get closer and closer to Opening Day, history shows that it's the players that give in, not the teams.

40 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's not going west. From a tax situation alone, they'd have to pay $30 million more than the Sox for the deals to be equal. He also doesn't like the west coast. I'd be stunned 

$30mil isnt true.

CA: 12.3%

IL: 4.95%

= 7.35% on 50% of games.

If Manny Makes $300mil. Half of that is $150mil. $150mil x 7.35% = $11mil.

So even if you round up, its more like $15mil over the life of the contract. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They have a decent shot. Maybe even better than 50/50. But it’s getting close to a point where if they get one, the fan base will have a feeling of relief rather than elation.

Unfortunately, it's already at that point. That is a by-product of the length of this. Had both of them signed elsewhere around the holidays, there would have been disappointment, for sure. However, this is painful.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is the Patriots guy

So they have signed both but don’t want it getting out because of the old offer after the player signed trick.

Makes sense. If there is one agent who may sign prematurely leaving a better offer out there it’s Scott Boras.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

This is the Patriots guy

Yeah I'd like to believe this. I don't understand the offer being shopped reason for no leaks. I get it from the Sox standpoint but why wouldn't the agents want to? 

This does kinda go with the tone of the Phillies press conference today.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres