Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn’t have been shocked. I am shocked it’s getting involved in bigger free agents.

Machado and Harper at $300+ million, sure.

The original plan was to hit the 2019-20 free agent class to supplement our internal prospect development.

The 2018 season changed that...whether it turns out to be a blessing or curse in the long term remains to be seen.

And the "we never thought we'd even be a legit player for these two generational talents" spin is not going to fly at this point.

The worst case scenario (other than SD getting either) remains the Nats reconsidering Harper and Philly having no choice but to blow away our offer to at least secure Machado.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:43 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Plus San Diego is a tiny media market in a state with a huge income tax.  The Padres would have to offer quite a bit more than the Sox to effectively come close to us.

Ummm, and the state of Illinois is???

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The worst case scenario (other than SD getting either) remains the Nats reconsidering Harper and Philly having no choice but to blow away our offer to at least secure Machado.

I disagree here. I think that Nats have as much of a realistic chance at Harper as the Cubs or Yankees do... which is nada. 

I think the worst case scenario as you bought up is definitely the Padres. If they come up with the money with their loaded prospect system and location (Harper likes the West Coast from what we know), that would be deadly. 

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Illinois does not have a high income tax. It’s 4.5% compared to California’s 13.3% for highest earners.

Also, just as a side, the ‘tax’ issue means nothing to athletes with an accountant. They are taxed on wages based on where they play games (from ST to road games), they don’t spend 51pc of their time in their ‘home’ state. Why Phil Mickelson lives in SD, but has his tax residence in TX, etc. 

As a side, don’t let politicians double your property taxes and convince you that you live in a low income tax state.

6 minutes ago, shago said:

That’s not measuring income tax, and it’s blending all taxes in a formula which doesn’t account for the fact that California has a graduated income tax (Illinois does not). When you make a per capita formula it drags down the averages because the vast majority of people in California do not pay 13.3% state income tax. Machado would. The rest would depend on where he lived due to property tax.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shago said:

Also, just as a side, the ‘tax’ issue means nothing to athletes with an accountant. They are taxed on wages based on where they play games (from ST to road games), they don’t spend 51pc of their time in their ‘home’ state. Why Phil Mickelson lives in SD, but has his tax residence in TX, etc. 

As a side, don’t let politicians double your property taxes and convince you that you live in a low income tax state.

I have no idea what your first paragraph even means.  Like it’s literally a series of sentences that all conflict with one another.

If Machado signs with the Padres, he’s most definitely playing over 51% of his games in California.  And an accountant has zero bearing on that.  And what the fuck does Phil Mickelson’s home state have anything to do with a baseball player’s effective tax rate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shago said:

As an aside, don’t used “state income tax” when you actually mean % of income to state and local taxes. It’s not a politicians sleight if hand, it’s literally different things.

36 minutes ago, shago said:

Right, so if he signed in the NL West, not only would he be playing 81 home games in CA, he would also be playing another 18 in LA and SF since they're in the NL West. That's 99 games in California as opposed to ~6 if he were to sign here and play one series on the road against the Angels and A's each. That's quite the difference.

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no idea what your first paragraph even means.  Like it’s literally a series of sentences that all conflict with one another.

If Machado signs with the Padres, he’s most definitely playing over 51% of his games in California.  And an accountant has zero bearing on that.  And what the fuck does Phil Mickelson’s home state have anything to do with a baseball player’s effective tax rate?

Right, a little over 61% to be exact, if they have exactly 18 road games vs LA and SF.

Edited by soxfan49

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

PLEASE FRONT OFFICE STRIKE AND GET HARPER AND MACHADO! THE TIME IS NOWWWWWWWWWW. 

I want to root for Harper and his hair for the next 10 yearsssss

If I could get each for 10/$300M deals or less, I’d 100% add both.  And honestly, the only team I feel like could be in the way of that is the Phillies and I’m still not 100% sure they’re willing to spend as stupidly as their owner originally promised.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I could get each for 10/$300M deals or less, I’d 100% add both.  And honestly, the only team I feel like could be in the way of that is the Phillies and I’m still not 100% sure they’re willing to spend as stupidly as their owner originally promised.

They're spending more time defending Kepler for trying to set up a 17 year old girl who was assaulted by a Phillies' minor leaguer with the same guy who victimized her in order to "make things right."

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres