Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, Mooseman said:

So it appears to be known MAchado's preffered place in Chicago and really doesn't want to go west. Now this guy is saying the PAdres are willing to go where MAnny wants in years but doesn't mention money. Doesn't this just scream an agent leak to get the Sox to go from 8/240-260 up to 9/270-290?

If that got the deal done why wouldnt the white sox do it?

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I do realize the panic over SD. They are a wildcard.  Hahn said they are going to go down swinging. I think they match anything the Padres bring to the table.

The White Sox can't legally know what the Padres are bringing to the table. If Machado's  agent says they have a $280 million offer, the White Sox might believe that's just the agent posturing and that the player doesn't have offers anywhere near that. They stick to their lower offer and in the end the player goes elsewhere.  

That's one plausible scenario where the front office could miss this player, by misunderstanding the market. 

My thoughts

1. We didn't bring in Jay and Yonder if we weren't going all in on Machado.

2. We dont want to pay Machado 300 million but will if we have to. We had to know his price could reach at least 300 million. 

3. If we give him a 300 million deal, there will be team friendly opt outs and incentives for sure. 

4. San Diego is the only team West of Chicago in the running, this tells me he doesn't like it out there. 

5. Yonder and Jay are two of his closest friends, they know already where he is leaning and where his head is at. Hell, Machados wife knows what he wants and she would have told her brother. Yonder seems a bit confident. 

6. Hahn and KW do not want to let their fan base down. This moment and this point in the rebuild is critical to turning around their fan base. This could be the opening to gaining average crowds of 30k to 35k over the next decade. They won't blow this over 50 million spread out about 8 or 9 years. 

7. Hahn and KW know who the threats are and what their outlooks are. We all heard the stupid money comment, so they are prepared for stupid money to be thrown around. 

8. This will end in March like Hahn hinted at. No reason for Machado to sign earlier than that if he is 75 million below his asking price. He doesn't care about spring training or making the public at ease. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Sounds legit in that he is seemingly a real person with a job in sports, but I don't know how an SID from a small college in New York would have inside info that the national guys don't have.

Based on his last two tweets, he claims to have inside info for the Padres, Giants, & Nationals.  I call bullshit.

Cubs fan friend just Rick rolled me.  Said congrats on Machado with exclamation points.  Link to LA Times.  I dropped my work to check.  Rick Rolled.  Got me good.  He is still upset with me.  The day I met him I had heard he was a cubs fan.  So the first thing I said to him ever was Happy Anniversary.  He looked at me puzzled.  I said 100 years since the cubs won a world series.  Somehow we ended up friends anyway.

• Haha 2

Just now, 103 mph screwball said:

Cubs fan friend just Rick rolled me.  Said congrats on Machado with exclamation points.  Link to LA Times.  I dropped my work to check.  Rick Rolled.  Got me good.  He is still upset with me.  The day I met him I had heard he was a cubs fan.  So the first thing I said to him ever was Happy Anniversary.  He looked at me puzzled.  I said 100 years since the cubs won a world series.  Somehow we ended up friends anyway.

You hear Machado has signed, you check here first. If this site is actually working, he has not signed yet. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

My thoughts

1. We didn't bring in Jay and Yonder if we weren't going all in on Machado.

2. We dont want to pay Machado 300 million but will if we have to. We had to know his price could reach at least 300 million. 

3. If we give him a 300 million deal, there will be team friendly opt outs and incentives for sure. 

4. San Diego is the only team West of Chicago in the running, this tells me he doesn't like it out there. 

5. Yonder and Jay are two of his closest friends, they know already where he is leaning and where his head is at. Hell, Machados wife knows what he wants and she would have told her brother. Yonder seems a bit confident. 

6. Hahn and KW do not want to let their fan base down. This moment and this point in the rebuild is critical to turning around their fan base. This could be the opening to gaining average crowds of 30k to 35k over the next decade. They won't blow this over 50 million spread out about 8 or 9 years. 

7. Hahn and KW know who the threats are and what their outlooks are. We all heard the stupid money comment, so they are prepared for stupid money to be thrown around. 

8. This will end in March like Hahn hinted at. No reason for Machado to sign earlier than that if he is 75 million below his asking price. He doesn't care about spring training or making the public at ease. 

Most logical post of your Soxtalk life

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I still feel confident the Sox get Manny but man, if the padres ended up with him, it would be a massive punch to the gut. Seeing Tatis and manny together in the left side of that infield for years would be brutal. Unless, SD is dropping 350MM on him, the Sox can’t let it happen. With that being said, I feel like all these baseball people may be underestimating the White Sox’s willingness to spend. Everyone just sees that the Sox won’t raise their offer and assumes 250(?) is their max. Until now, they haven’t had a reason to show how high they’ll really go. I think (hope) they’ll surprise a lot of people 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

The Sox will sign Machado, the Padres stuff is real but Manny does not want to go there, this is a ploy to get the Sox to pay up. I can say with 200% certainty Manny will be playing 3B for the Sox next season.

Do you think the Sox will raise their offer?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres