Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, drgiggles15 said:

All this hype of Eloy coming up (I'm on board too), but what makes him not being another Moncada and really struggling. Do you guys see something better of Eloy compared to when Yoan was the #1 overall prospect? Just curious on your thoughts.

I’ve seen Eloy in person a few times. He has a great presence at the plate. He seems to be so on top of it that it’s really incredible to me that a pitcher is able to get the ball by him. I think he’ll have great success at the MLB level because I think that plate presence will translate very well. If he keeps that same approach, he should see instant success. He also is able to put the ball to all areas of the field. His opposite field power is very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

All this hype of Eloy coming up (I'm on board too), but what makes him not being another Moncada and really struggling. Do you guys see something better of Eloy compared to when Yoan was the #1 overall prospect? Just curious on your thoughts.

Eloy is a much more polished hitter than Yoan, who had huge hole in swing. Yoan I think will be an outstanding defender and good offensive player. But he definitely needed time to adjust. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Yoan never had the amazing offensive numbers Eloy has had in the minors. 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

They are two very different hitters.  Moncada’s strength in the minors was he took a lot of pitches and was very good on balls away, with pop and speed.  Problem is maybe he takes too many pitches and has holes especially just inside out of the strike zone.

Eloy is way more aggressive with fewer/no glaring holes, but he doesn’t walk all that much.  Nothing similar about them at all, really.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Eloy reminds me of Frank Thomas without all the walks. I wanted Big Frank up so bad I think I wrote Kenny Williams and said what are you waiting for ? Both with the hit for average and hit for power stats in the minors.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Moncada was always an incredible athlete and all around player. Great speed and power combination. A Roberto alomar kind of talent but needed fine tuning. He has a hole in his swing and it's now his turn to adjust. But scouts fall in love with tools and 5 tools especially.

Eloy is a fine tuned professional hitter. He doesnt have a hole in his swing and understands how to approach hitting like a veteran. He doesnt have the speed or defense/arm tool upside like yoan but his hitting could be top level good. That means all he has to lean on is his bat which gives him less avenues to produce value... hence why its safer to rank a guy with multiple value generating tools higher.

Eloy has a lot of manny Ramirez in him. It is a truly great comp. But remember how manny wasnt really good at anything else... so eloy has a little risk because he had two tools instead of 5. But man are those two tools historically great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy reminds me of Frank Thomas without all the walks. I wanted Big Frank up so bad I think I wrote Kenny Williams and said what are you waiting for ? Both with the hit for average and hit for power stats in the minors.

Honestly there will never be a hitter like Frank again. He was so unique. You would never teach someone to hit like him but he was so skilled - his eye to ball skills were remarkable. His weight shift was so unique. He was somehow so balanced in a position anyone else would be off balance. He was a punch and Judy doubles hitter with 80 power. Butt out ball down the line protection hitter and an abnormal home run hitter - Frank did not sell out to pull. He was remarkable because he could punch a ball out to right  with his hands only. 

I understand being as excited - they are both remarkable hitting talents but sometimes I think people overlook how unique Frank Thomas was. There will never be a hitter like him again. Front footing his way to 500+ homers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Dear CaliSoxFan, what the hell do you want me to do about it?  I’m an outfielder in another organization. 

Yours truly, 

Kenny Williams 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

The reason Eloy is going to be so good is he doesn’t seem to swing and miss a lot. When you take add that to his ability to produce huge exit velocities, it’s going to create a very dangerous hitter.

Hence the miggy comp too. Never seems off balance and never has to sell out for power. Doesnt walk a lot - similar to miggy - but sees a lot of pitches and goes with the pitch better than any young hitter in the game.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres