Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Hahn would never sign Moose as a back up plan while we are still in the running to get Manny because if Manny did sign with the Sox we would also be stuck with Moose's contract. It means nothing in regards to Manny's choice other than the fact that the White Sox still have a chance at getting him.

I never thought Sox would sign Moustakas. I do think Padres would have signed him though.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

At no point was he not going to the highest bidder. This was always the case. 

And at no point in time is there only going to be a whitesox and no other team connected to Machado if and when Harper signed first. So people need to take all of this with a grain of salt

11 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

I'm going to laugh so hard on here when the Sox lose out on Manny to SD. Everyone in here has been downplaying them the whole time because of taxes. If the Sox offered 250 and the Padres offered 255, he'd go to the Padres all day. This front office sucks, this organization is pathetic 

Probably not, because $5M wouldn’t come close to making up the differences in state income taxes & likely marketing opportunists.  Regardless, glad you’d take some enjoyment out of us missing out on Machado.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

The Padres future looks brighter than the White Sox. Far and away the best farm system in baseball. They've also shown a willingness to spend in the past. They are less of a joke than the White Sox 

The Padres have finished better than 16 GB exactly once in the last decade.

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Oh no. They've been downplayed here because of taxes and their "cash flow" issues. 

Cash flow, maybe, but taxes? Not quite. Someone said taxes aren't different in CA than they are in IL. That was factually incorrect and proven so. No one said they wouldn't sign Machado because of taxes.

The Sox have to beat the Padres offer. They have to! I don’t believe this is an effort to raise the Sox bid. I believe the Padres are very serious. Even the tone in reports makes the Padres feel like the front runners. It’s disgusting how this thing has unfolded.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, teorey23 said:

The Sox will sign Machado, the Padres stuff is real but Manny does not want to go there, this is a ploy to get the Sox to pay up. I can say with 200% certainty Manny will be playing 3B for the Sox next season.

Guys, breathe.... He’s going to the Sox just a question as to how much he’s going to play here for. Rick and co. have been planning for this for 3 years. They’ll seal the deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure the Pads can sign Machado with no problems. I'm not sure they will, but people are right to be nervous. Rosenthal's article made it clear that Jerry wants to "chase" the market - with his history, I can't help but feel like that means he won't pull the trigger.

Wait a minute... why would we pay up now?

I thought the consensus was that we should be shrewd negotiators and insist on a discount since no other suitors were out there? Why $300 when you can pay $200? 

Shouldve paid up a long time ago.... Sox have never been in a position to be shrewd in these negotiations. We’re not a desorable place to play...

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The Sox have to beat the Padres offer. They have to! I don’t believe this is an effort to raise the Sox bid. I believe the Padres are very serious. Even the tone in reports makes the Padres feel like the front runners. It’s disgusting how this thing has unfolded.

I’ll keep repeating this, but 90% of leaks come with an agenda.  All these Padres rumors are being leaked for a reason.  IMO, the most obvious one is to scare the White Sox into increasing their bid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve said it before and I will say it again: the Sox must’ve thought they had this wrapped up a while ago. Leaking stupid 7/175 offers to a bunch of Chicago nobodies, smiles all around at Sox Fest and a bunch of other stuff. Then the Padres came in to ruin the party. Now they are forced to show how serious they really are.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres