Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Moncada taking work at 3B is irrelevant to Machado.

All indications point to Madrigal being the 2B of the future and on a possible fast track to the Bigs.   

Need to figure out Moncada's versatility sooner than later. 

I’m in the camp of needing to see more from Madrigal before I’m ready to say he’s on the fast track to take moncadas job.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Moncada taking work at 3B is irrelevant to Machado.

All indications point to Madrigal being the 2B of the future and on a possible fast track to the Bigs.   

Need to figure out Moncada's versatility sooner than later. 

If the Sox sign Machado, I suspect Moncada taking groundballs at 3rd will be over. We might see him shagging flyballs in CF though.

Outside of a brief 3 week period between the end of Bears season and the Super Bowl, I never really expected either Machado or Harper to come here anyway, so if they don't get either it really doesn't move the needle for me. There are still plenty of reasons to be excited about the Sox this year. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’m in the camp of needing to see more from Madrigal before I’m ready to say he’s on the fast track to take moncadas job.

I'm in the camp of making absolutely sure Moncada sucks or isn't a 5+ win player before giving his job to Madrigal. Moncada has more talent in his pinkie finger than Madrigal has in his whole body. If Moncada makes contact, he's going to be a star. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Outside of a brief 3 week period between the end of Bears season and the Super Bowl, I never really expected either Machado or Harper to come here anyway, so if they don't get either it really doesn't move the needle for me. There are still plenty of reasons to be excited about the Sox this year. 

You seem like a good guy, but man your pessimism is unbearable.

• Love 3

4 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Well, then this goes back to the scouting and development issues that have haunt this team for the last 20+ years.   Assuming you are saying you aren't sold on what they have been saying about Madrigal. 

For once, I just need this damn franchise to hit a HR for a top position player draft pick.    Hell, outside of Sale there hasn't been much success for any top draft picks.  

Edited by HOFHurt35

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

You seem like a good guy, but man your pessimism is unbearable.

Literally the only thing I'm pessimistic about with regard to the Sox is landing Machado or Harper. Last year sucked with regard to injuries, but there is still a TON of high end talent here. There is the distinct possibility we don't need those guys. My pessimism looks worse than it is because the majority of the offseason banter has been about Harper/Machado. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I'm sure in this thread we've beaten every point to death but now that we're close it seems here's the main question. Are the Sox going to die on an opt out hill if the Padres are willing to give him one after 2 or 3 years? I truly cannot believe given where their payroll is, the money spent for Alonso and Jay that they are going to let money be their hill to die on. If the Padres go to 300 and we're at 260, 40 million over 7-8-9 years cannot be the deciding factor for the type of jolt Manny would give this fan base.

• Like 1

Last year was brutal, hopefully this year is better. I don't think that, past Eloy, there is much coming to look forward to in 2019. Hopefully Moncada can break out but i'm much gloomier on his prospects than you are. He just doesn't make enough contact with pitches in the zone.

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Well, then this goes back to the scouting and development issues that have haunt this team for the last 20+ years.   Assuming you are saying you aren't sold on what they have been saying about Madrigal. 

For once, I just need this damn franchise to hit a HR for a top position player draft pick.    Hell, outside of Sale there hasn't been much success for any top draft picks.  

This is exactly why I say we need to pump the breaks on this kid, we don’t have the best history of drafting talent and he hasn’t done anything past A ball yet.....you can listen to management all you want but they definitely aren’t going to say anything negative about a top 3 pick from just last year and until I see production a little higher up in the minors, I will continue to say the jury is still out on this guy 

5 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Some of the pessimism is people protecting themselves from disappointment.  Good defense mechanism.  But this looks positive to me.  All this is to squeeze a little bit more out of Sox before both accept Sox offers.  That’s what it looks like to me.

100% what I'm doing with regard to Machado and Harper. If they get one, Wonderful! If they don't, meh. I've been disappointed way too many times in my life to have any expectations of anything really. Expecting the worst is actually a really good defense mechanism, because even though it won't happen most of the time, you're still prepared for it if it does. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

100% what I'm doing with regard to Machado and Harper. If they get one, Wonderful! If they don't, meh. 

No, you’re telling everyone else we’re not going to get him and to be prepared for disappointment.  If you need to tell yourself that’s fine, whatever, but stop polluting these threads with your over-the-top pessimism.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

Some of the pessimism is people protecting themselves from disappointment.  Good defense mechanism.  But this looks positive to me.  All this is to squeeze a little bit more out of Sox before both accept Sox offers.  That’s what it looks like to me.

Yeah people do this and in the end it still hurts the same amount. Maybe not outwardly but on the inside Jack will be just as bummed as the rest of us. If people really believed it wouldn’t happen they wouldn’t be stalking this thread like the rest of us believers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 103 mph screwball said:

How dare you call me out on my insecurities.

Edited by Ben Waffleson
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah people do this and in the end it still hurts the same amount. Maybe not outwardly but on the inside Jack will be just as bummed as the rest of us. If people really believed it wouldn’t happen they wouldn’t be stalking this thread like the rest of us believers. 

Thanks Shipps. This is true. Will I be a bit disappointed. Sure. It doesn't change anything. Sports are completely out of a fan's control. We control what we can, and that is our reaction to what happens on the field. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres