Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And who do you think leaked that?  It’s clearly coming from Lozano.

This is Lozano trying to sneak in a few more bucks, Manny does not want to play in San Diego, folks this will get done, I understand the frustration and worries but this separates the men from the boys. Rick and co. know damn well the firestorm that would occur if they don’t pay up. Everyone needs to kick back enjoy the roller coaster ride but come opening day Manny will be on the Sox. I will say this the Padres interest is VERY real but Manny’s interest in San Diego... not so much. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No, you’re telling everyone else we’re not going to get him and to be prepared for disappointment.  If you need to tell yourself that’s fine, whatever, but stop polluting these threads with your over-the-top pessimism.

I'm only doing that because I think some people (like yourself) would be incredibly disappointed if they don't get Machado or Harper. There really is no need to be disappointed, because the Sox have options and they might not need to spend that kind of dough on those guys anyway. 

2 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

This is Lozano trying to sneak in a few more bucks, Manny does not want to play in San Diego, folks this will get done, I understand the frustration and worries but this separates the men from the boys. Rick and co. know damn well the firestorm that would occur if they don’t pay up. Everyone needs to kick back enjoy the roller coaster ride but come opening day Manny will be on the Sox. I will say this the Padres interest is VERY real but Manny’s interest in San Diego... not so much. 

OK! I believe!!

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm only doing that because I think some people (like yourself) would be incredibly disappointed if they don't get Machado or Harper. There really is no need to be disappointed, because the Sox have options and they might not need to spend that kind of dough on those guys anyway. 

I’m sorry, there’s no excuse if they miss out  because Padres offered more. It would be a failure of execution by a front office that has really struggled.  

• Like 2

Chicken Soup for the Manny Machado Soul

Chapter Two

Don’t freak the fuck out. Breathe. Count to three. Your Manny dream is still alive.

Repeat after me...

”I am brave... I am brave... Manny Machado can still be saved.”

You too dear read, can be too.

• Love 1

Thanks Shipps. This is true. Will I be a bit disappointed. Sure. It doesn't change anything. Sports is completely out of a fan's control. We control what we can, and that is our reaction to what happens on the field. 

Exactly.  We control how this makes us feel.  I’ve been listening to Our Chuck interviewing Kopech.  He’s into meditation and positive thinking.  I’m cautiously optimistic.  If it doesn’t work out, Jimenez was compared to Babe Ruth recently.  We will be fine.  Maybe even better off.  

3 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

With all due respect, you have people on here thinking you have sources.  I don’t believe you’ve claimed you have, but not sure others know that.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m sorry, there’s no excuse if they miss out  because Padres offered more. It would be a failure of execution by a front office that has really struggled.  

I think, in the end it is going to come down to opt outs. If the Padres are willing to risk him leaving as their contention window opens, they're getting him. If the Sox aren't willing to give him an opt out I don't blame them. It doesn't make sense for them to give him an opt out in any way whatsoever. They had to know that they were going to have to approach $300M going into this offseason to be taken seriously. Let's see what the dollar amount is before passing judgment. 

I do agree that if Machado signs for less than $300M and the Sox got blown away in dollars, then it would be a failure and they were never serious to begin with. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Oh I’d be more than disappointed, but unfortunately that’s a part of life.  Can’t hide from your feelings when things don’t go your way.  That being said, I’m still confident we end up with Machado.

Also, I 100% disagree we don’t need a guy like Bryce or Manny.  Without one of them or a similar caliber player, we’re relying on internally developed players to become all our stars and that’s an incredibly risky game to play.  And we have a ton of financial flexibility that is completely worthless if we’re afraid to use it and that only gets harder after this year.  As I said before, there is literally no excuse for not landing one of these guys.

I think, in the end it is going to come down to opt outs. If the Padres are willing to risk him leaving as their contention window opens, they're getting him. If the Sox aren't willing to give him an opt out I don't blame them. It doesn't make sense for them to give him an opt out in any way whatsoever. They had to know that they were going to have to approach $300M going into this offseason to be taken seriously. Let's see what the dollar amount is before passing judgment. 

I disagree. Do what it takes to get him here and then re-negotiate when the time comes (if needed). It makes more sense than trading for him when he only had one year of control left.

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is where I'll be pessimistic. If the Sox don't land a whale here, I don't think the rebuild will be successful to the point we all want it to be. As I said in the Harper thread - they must sign one of these guys. Period.

I don’t think we should be doom and gloom about the Padres, the Sox still are in this and control their destiny.  I also think it’s crazy that some posters keep saying “the Sox won’t be outbid”. What has this Front Office done to inspire that confidence? When have they proven that they will go the extra mile? They haven’t. For those of us citing Yonder and Jay as reasons that the Sox will beat any bid, you can easily go the opposite direction and say they signed them because they knew they wouldn’t be the highest bidder and wanted to tip the scale. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Orlando said:

I don’t think we should be doom and gloom about the Padres, the Sox still are in this and control their destiny.  I also think it’s crazy that some posters keep saying “the Sox won’t be outbid”. What has this Front Office done to inspire that confidence? When have they proven that they will go the extra mile? They haven’t. For those of us citing Yonder and Jay as reasons that the Sox will beat any bid, you can easily go the opposite direction and say they signed them because they knew they wouldn’t be the highest bidder and wanted to tip the scale. 

If all things being equal I think that definitely would tip the scales in the Sox favor, the only thing management needs to make sure happens is that money is right there or better than the Padres

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

If the Sox get outbid by San Diego, then they deserve all the scorn that will be coming their way. I don't see it happening, though. Jerry knows what is at stake here. This whole Machado thing has taken on a life of it's own and they simply can't lose at this point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Honestly, I don’t view Alonso & Jay being brought in as anything more than giving us a tie-breaker and making the thought of playing for a loser in 2019 a bit easier to digest.  In all likelihood, Machado would rather play for the Sox than the Padres and as such his camp would bring any offers to us to match.  Money was always going to be the primary factor here and I don’t think you waste $13M on Machado’s buddies (on one year deals no less) in hopes of that making up for a substantial gap in offers.  I truly believe the Sox are prepared to go up to $300M if a team forces us there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Opt outs are so important. If he can opt out after two good years in SD, then we can outbid them in two years and if he flops then SD is hamstrung for a decade by a bad deal.

IF is a big IF. In two years who says we can outbid them if we don't now. And, in two years there might be more teams than the Padres to bid against.

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

IF is a big IF. In two years who says we can outbid them if we don't now. And, in two years there might be more teams than the Padres to bid against.

We would be more willing to outbid if our window is open versus now, when we can't risk a lot of money if the deal gives the guy the chance to dip out as soon as we get good.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres