Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

280/8 is crazy. 35 mil a year. If that’s the case, I can’t even blame the Sox for losing.

What's the current going rate for WAR? $9 million/WAR? Manny has averaged over 5 WAR/162 for his career, but the Sox would be paying him like a 4 WAR (More like 3 WAR toward the back end of the contract) player. How is that too much?

Just now, ChiSox9 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, if the Sox offered a signing bonus it would be taxes just the same as SD’s signing bonus - 0% since he STILL lives in FL. So I really don’t see the advantage there 

I think the implied message is that the Sox aren't willing to include such a signing bonus

You have multiple people saying the pads offer is over 280 and you are going to risk it for...what exactly?

Too many people have bought into the fact that the worst thing Sox can do is bid against themselves. Worst that can happen is they fail to sign him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daggins said:

I dunno 8/240 but with a 20MM signing bonus probably nixes any tax differences with a similar offer from the Sox. The Sox can get around that, of course, by upping the offer.

I must be drunk or something, but how does a $20M signing bonus change anything?  The remaining $220M of the contract you’re proposing would be worth 5% less playing for the Padres, which is worth about $11M.  And why can’t we offer a signing bonus if that’s ultimately important?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres