Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

42 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Padres main weapon is a big signing bonus that isn’t state taxed (while manny has a Florida residence).  Guess who else has plenty of money to throw around as a signing bonus...the White Sox.  SD just making Sox pay more than they would have 2 weeks ago but still under what they budgeted 2 years ago, probably 

Robs us of Fernando Tatis Jr. and then makes us pay more for Manny a few years later. I think I hate the Padres now. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you're 30, you're just being spoiled. I actually think going through the bad stuff and suffering makes winning more rewarding. You lived through the winningest decade in modern times for them and you got a world series. They missed out a few times but for someone who is 30 to say f it is embarrassing imo.

For me it's not about the winning. It's about how I feel the organization is ran. I have no problem following a losing squad if I feel that they are doing things right and to the best of their ability. Losing out on Harper and or Machado means one of two things:

1. The other teams that got them were willing to spend an astronomical amount of money for them where it can be called 'stupid money'. I think this is HIGHLY unlikely from what we've seen so far.

2. The Front office is cheap and cares more about lining their pocket books than the team. We literally have no money on the payroll coming up, they have no excuse to be outbid in any rational bidding sense.

If they lose out and it's #2, then fuck them. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

For me it's not about the winning. It's about how I feel the organization is ran. I have no problem following a losing squad if I feel that they are doing things right and to the best of their ability. Losing out on Harper and or Machado means one of two things:

1. The other teams that got them were willing to spend an astronomical amount of money for them where it can be called 'stupid money'. I think this is HIGHLY unlikely from what we've seen so far.

2. The Front office is cheap and cares more about lining their pocket books than the team. We literally have no money on the payroll coming up, they have no excuse to be outbid in any rational bidding sense.

If they lose out and it's #2, then fuck them. 

Once again, reinsdorf spent the highest % of revenue on payroll for multiple years in a row. It's not about lining his pockets.

We'll see what happens but jumping ship over a free agent? My goodness.

Padres made an offer... cool. This feels like it will end soon.

Anyone who is saying they are on the verge of switching team allegiances and saying we should have bid against ourselves need to chill.  Did you think no one was going to make an offer for machado besides Sox?  Let it play out and quit being drama queens.

8 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Padres made an offer... cool. This feels like it will end soon.

Anyone who is saying they are on the verge of switching team allegiances and saying we should have bid against ourselves need to chill.  Did you think no one was going to make an offer for machado besides Sox?  Let it play out and quit being drama queens.

I know this thread is long and posts get lost, but don't misconstruct my stance here -- I'm very confident that we sign Machado. It's just that the recent reports have escalated the free agency to the brink IMO. The time is now for these guys to sign, I feel confident that with the smoke today we are on the verge of seeing Harper and Machado signings this week.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something that S. Gregor said earlier in the offseason could always be true...JR and company don’t view any player as being worth 30 mil a season.

Well then this franchise is doomed.  But I don’t believe it, not after we just spent $50M on a amateur LatAm signing.

22 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

In 2015 (or 2016, I can't remember) I was ready to leave this franchise as their decade of just horrid decisions leading to mediocre or terrible teams was just not enjoyable. They turned it around by trading their stars for the prospects and I was completely reinvigorated in baseball and the White Sox. I've been a White Sox fan since I was born, I'm nearly 30 now. 

However, the questionable decisions with the front office, their inability to complete deals with the stars (and instead pocket the money) is still prevalent. 

It goes without repeating how well the White Sox are set up for this market. They doubled down on it all offseason by not shying away. I'm not unreasonable, if Manny and Harper get astronomical deals unforeseen and clearly ridiculous, I'll give the F.O. a pass on it, but if we miss out on them within reasonable amounts, I will be furious enough to walk away. Baseball's the only sport I follow, and I won't waste my fandom on an organization like that. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Looks like the Sox got outbid...figured this would happen with the "we don't want to bid against ourselves" nonsense.

Now just jump the Padres' bid.

Actually, this is the exact reason why you don’t bid against yourself.

You jump the Padres bid, if in fact it’s higher.  If you had done this earlier and maybe gone 290, and Padres came in at 280 w deferrals, than you overbid by at least 10 million.

Just now, heirdog said:

You jump the Padres bid, if in fact it’s higher.  If you had done this earlier and maybe gone 290, and Padres came in at 280 w deferrals, than you overbid by at least 10 million.

What does that mean 280 w deferrals. Whats a deferral? I saw someome else on Twitter saying that they could use deferral to avoid California taxes? 

3 minutes ago, heirdog said:

If you had done this earlier and maybe gone 290, and Padres came in at 280 w deferrals, than you overbid by at least 10 million.

And you get the player..probably earlier than now as he'd have had a number closer to what he expected and would have the goodwill that he was treated well.
I realize that a big number could be overbidding- but a)  overbiding is something they will have to do to get the player given the state of the team and org the past decade and b) overbidding is a de minimis concern, especially when they just spent a bunch of money on his overpaid friends.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Or you could have publicly had a 275 million offer instead of pushing your “won’t go past 7 years and offer 175 mill” line of strategy and prevent the Padres from ever pushing at all.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres