Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

For me it's not about the winning. It's about how I feel the organization is ran. I have no problem following a losing squad if I feel that they are doing things right and to the best of their ability. Losing out on Harper and or Machado means one of two things:

1. The other teams that got them were willing to spend an astronomical amount of money for them where it can be called 'stupid money'. I think this is HIGHLY unlikely from what we've seen so far.

2. The Front office is cheap and cares more about lining their pocket books than the team. We literally have no money on the payroll coming up, they have no excuse to be outbid in any rational bidding sense.

If they lose out and it's #2, then fuck them. 

I mean I'm not trying to convince you to stay or anything...just working in some logic.

First off...if winning was easy, everyone would do it.  What are the right moves to make?  What is evidence of owners being cheap over prudent?  In 2005 Paul Konerko was our highest paid player...at $8.75 million.  Yes...different times...but that was good for 30th highest...in the AL.  Would you have rather had someone else in the top 29 instead?  He would have been the 12th highest paid Yankee that year.  Did we mess up by not spending more that year?  You said it's not about winning...so does the 2005 championship go out the window because they didn't spend the right amount?  Would you have rather been a Yankee fan that year because they did things right?  We have the same number of championships as the Yankees in the last 15 years, is there's worth more because they run a better organization?  You mentioned Rays, Padres, or Oakland...they run things right????  Why?  Because the satisfaction of buying low/selling high on players is better than winning a title?   

Not trying to live in the past, but who knows about these things...it all comes down to betting on human beings.  That's as fluid of a bet as it comes.  I suppose you can roll the same set of dice with a different team if you think the random outcome aligns better with your personal set of decisions on how you think it should be run.   

8 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

What does that mean 280 w deferrals. Whats a deferral? I saw someome else on Twitter saying that they could use deferral to avoid California taxes? 

Paying 20 million let’s say 1 mil a year for 20 years or something dumb like that. The Bobby Bonilla deal. Sox have a million deferred to peavy this year. Konerko next. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

There’s no reason to not take these reports at their face, but a team deciding to pay full price in February is really bizarre 

The good news is it has validated players waiting until last minute so every offseason can be like this.

wait did I say good news?

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And you get the player..probably earlier than now as he'd have had a number closer to what he expected and would have the goodwill that he was treated well.
I realize that a big number could be overbidding- but a)  overbiding is something they will have to do to get the player given the state of the team and org the past decade and b) overbidding is a de minimis concern, especially when they just spent a bunch of money on his overpaid friends.

Good points.  Fair enough that perhaps we’d have closed this up sooner in that scenario.  I just feel like the Sox would know a “buy now” price if it actually existed, otherwise $290 million thrown out becomes “$310 and it’s done”

17 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

What does that mean 280 w deferrals. Whats a deferral? I saw someome else on Twitter saying that they could use deferral to avoid California taxes? 

Interesting point. I wonder if the income taxes would be applied to his place of residence at the time the deferred payment is made, which could conceivably be somewhere other than CA?

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I didn't know he was suppose to be a White Sox fan on top of reporting.

That wasn’t my point. People are pointing to his recent tweets floating about his previous reports as good news for Sox, but it is outdated and doesn’t reflect on what the current situation apparently is with San Diego being much more aggressive.

3 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Interesting point. I wonder if the income taxes would be applied to his place of residence at the time the deferred payment is made, which could conceivably be somewhere other than CA?

Yes, the payment would be in florida (he lives in Miami) where there are no state taxes...and not playing baseball so it’s pure income from home residence.  

Sox can easily counter by 1) front loading contract and 2) promising  their “deferral” as a team ambassador role for life, which is what Thome, Thomas and others (GarPax?) have pitched to Bryce and Manny

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres