Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

That wasn’t my point. People are pointing to his recent tweets floating about his previous reports as good news for Sox, but it is outdated and doesn’t reflect on what the current situation apparently is with San Diego being much more aggressive.

He had a post earlier saying Padres are 2nd on his list 

11 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Yes, the payment would be in florida (he lives in Miami) where there are no state taxes...and not playing baseball so it’s pure income from home residence.  

Sox can easily counter by 1) front loading contract and 2) promising  their “deferral” as a team ambassador role for life, which is what Thome, Thomas and others (GarPax?) have pitched to Bryce and Manny

I don’t think Sox offer would consist of significant deferrals.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

That wasn’t my point. People are pointing to his recent tweets floating about his previous reports as good news for Sox, but it is outdated and doesn’t reflect on what the current situation apparently is with San Diego being much more aggressive.

I don’t follow.  Hector has stood strong that our offer weeks ago was $8/$250M.  If so, that is fantastic news because it means at a very minimum we’re currently equal to the Padres or within shooting distance.  If we you believe what Nightengale & Heyman have said, we are way behind the Padres right now and I’d personally be terrified that we have no attention of approaching $300M.  Hector’s reporting is a good thing if true.

• Like 1

More like ESCAPE ROOM.

I don't know if there's enough energy left over for full-out PANIC at this point in time.

It's either a sense of relief we FINALLY sign Machado (overlaid with concerns about him exercising an early opt-out) OR pretty much total nuclear meltdown/Chernobyl/Armageddon/Thanos snapping his fingers if they swing and miss with almost EVERYTHING POSSIBLE working in their favor in terms of market conditions (and considering how disappointing 2018 turned out).

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player-news/headlines#news-8847656

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Padres' offer to Manny Machado is as high as $280 million over eight years.

That's a nice increase over the over the $240 million that other clubs have reportedly offered. The Padres were also creative in the way they structured the contract for Eric Hosmer last offseason and could be looking to do something similar here. As of now, the Padres look to be in the lead in the race for Machado.

52 minutes ago, Capital G said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player-news/headlines#news-8847656

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Padres' offer to Manny Machado is as high as $280 million over eight years.

That's a nice increase over the over the $240 million that other clubs have reportedly offered. The Padres were also creative in the way they structured the contract for Eric Hosmer last offseason and could be looking to do something similar here. As of now, the Padres look to be in the lead in the race for Machado.

Chance that Lozano gets angry again and chastises Nightengale  ? 0 %

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres