Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

For me, the easiest thing is it's a bad deal if he has a unilateral opt-out after 2 years. 3 years may be too early too.

When you sign a player to a contract, you're hoping to at least get exactly what you paid for. But for a long term deal, you know it's more likely you end up either doing really well (player outperforms the deal) or very poorly (player is much worse than the deal). If you give an early opt-out, you almost can't do well — if he outperforms the deal, he becomes a free agent and then gets a bigger paycheck — but you're exposed to 100% of the risk of things going badly. For us, you enter the deal knowing that Year 1 is very unlikely to be a championship year so you want him to do well but his performance in that year isn't very important. And so Year 2 is the first year you start to really get a payoff if he outperforms the contract. If you risk losing him after Year 2, then you have practically no upside in the contract. It's not a ton better if he can leave after Year 3.

I agree with this, it's also why I'm most scared of the padres because they seem to be more emotionally invested in big splashes. It really wouldn't be worth it if there is an opt out in year 2. Ideally you begin to build around machado, but if you do that and he opts out, you don't have as much flexibility to re-sign then 28 year old machado just as you need him.

As much as I don't want him opting out after year 2 or 3, if that's what it took for him to sign here, I would still do it. Let him and his wife experience living in Chicago. The Sox also are not surrendering a draft pick for him, which is a reason people give for not wanting to gamble on guys like Kimbrel for a year. It would be a similar idea to when the Sox tried trading for him when he had a year of control left. Maybe he doesn't opt-out. Maybe you negotiate a different deal before he opts out.

Of course, you wouldn't want the opt-out until at least year 4 though.

Long-story short: early opt-outs wouldn't be a deal breaker for me lol

Edited by soxfan2014

Looking at the year by year payroll, the Padres could easily afford Machado, but I heard something about the debts ownership has, though I’m not sure how much that impacts their ability to sign Machado since I don’t know the exact dollar amounts we are talking.

I also am curious of how their offer is better than the White Sox at $250,000,000 for 8 years if it is $280,000,000 for 8 years with money deferred. Not to mention to taxes involved. Couldn’t the Sox counter with $280,000,000 million guaranteed and opt outs?

Edited by The Beast

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Looking at the year by year payroll, the Padres could easily afford Machado, but I heard something about the debts ownership has, though I’m not sure how much that impacts their ability to sign Machado since I don’t know the exact dollar amounts we are talking.

I also am curious of how their offer is better than the White Sox at $250,000,000 for 8 years if it is $280,000,000 for 8 years with money deferred. Not to mention to taxes involved. Couldn’t the Sox counter with $280,000,000 million guaranteed and opt outs?

Yeah the Hosmer deal is definitely an overpay, but the last 3 years of that deal are only $13 mill a year. So more front-loaded the first 5 at $21 mill.

Everyone keeps talking about the creative Hosmer deal. I truly don't understand why they had to get creative. It seemed they were way out in front of his market (another thing that scares me!). Yeah, maybe the soft 3 year 36 mill to end the deal got him and he could have gone for 5 years 100, but...that's still 3 years 36 mill more than I bet he would have gotten elsewhere.

Just now, bmags said:

Everyone keeps talking about the creative Hosmer deal. I truly don't understand why they had to get creative. It seemed they were way out in front of his market (another thing that scares me!). Yeah, maybe the soft 3 year 36 mill to end the deal got him and he could have gone for 5 years 100, but...that's still 3 years 36 mill more than I bet he would have gotten elsewhere.

what about the creative Will Myers Deal

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes but the Sox have about 8 top tierish pitching prospects.

The sox have two top pitching prospects and then 1 good pitching prospect and then a bunch of mediocre pitching prospects. The padres have like 8 good pitching prospects.

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah the Hosmer deal is definitely an overpay, but the last 3 years of that deal are only $13 mill a year. So more front-loaded the first 5 at $21 mill.

What about the debts the Padres ownership has? It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I can’t find the post or how much they had. I don’t think it had to do with payroll either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

What about the debts the Padres ownership has? It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I can’t find the post or how much they had. I don’t think it had to do with payroll either.

This post is good and has links to more detailed posts

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-padres-are-in-the-mix-for-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-will-they-strike-a-deal-or-fall-short/

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres