Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Sometime recently people began using OPS as the sole and exclusive determiner of a player's value.  It's not.  Anyone who judges Madrigal based only on OPS is going to be disappointed in his career.

It's obviously not. But the guy couldn't hit the ball with any kind of authority for two months. Now, there are several factors that may or may not have led to that, but he has to show that it was the wrist and fatigue, and not just the fact that he can't hit the ball hard. I'm not giving up on the guy, but adjusting the current big league roster for a guy that is still pretty damn far away is silly. Especially when it's screwing around with a guy that was way more highly regarded than madrigal will ever be. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I agree with the comment mentioned earlier. If the Padres stuff is true (in that Lozano is trying to get the Sox to up their offer), it would make sense that we are towards the finish line and Hahn/Lozano are working on finishing the deal, with it being announced sometime this week. 

I have a feeling that I have read that exact same post 6 weeks ago. 😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

Can we please, please, please let Madrigal show us he can slug better than.350 in A ball before we starting putting his name in the line up in sharpie?

One thing for doubters to keep an eye on is how willians astudillo performs this year for twins.

Guy had basically one skill which was he didn't k and also didn't walk much. Not much else, little power, no speed. He finally made it up to the twins and performed pretty well. Like Narvaez, he seems to be developing decent power later in his 20s. 

Madrigal has a much better tool package.

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's obviously not. But the guy couldn't hit the ball with any kind of authority for two months. Now, there are several factors that may or may not have led to that, but he has to show that it was the wrist and fatigue, and not just the fact that he can't hit the ball hard. I'm not giving up on the guy, but adjusting the current big league roster for a guy that is still pretty damn far away is silly. Especially when it's screwing around with a guy that was way more highly regarded than madrigal will ever be. 

Truth. 

4 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Trying to stay positive, but the Sox don't exactly have the best of luck 'waiting things out' when it comes to free agents.... Trades are a different story.

There is no way to force a deal without paying extortion. Accept that you do not hold all the cards and keep a final walk-away number at the ready. If no luck you move on to the next fish.

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

The board is weird with him because 1) I agree there is way too much assumption that he's gonna make it and moving a player in anticipation of him is nonsense but also 2) the board is way too certain on his ceiling and what type of player he'll be based on two months of baseball.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Thank you! This should at least make us somewhat curious how they could afford Machado and why he would want to go there. It seems like the Sox would have a better chance at contending than the Padres, given the readiness of their prospects and the AL Central.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Thank you! This should at least make us somewhat curious how they could afford Machado and why he would want to go there. It seems like the Sox would have a better chance at contending than the Padres, given the readiness of their prospects and the AL Central.

Really gets down to if the owner felt comfortable being cash flow negative for the team.

I dont know why, and I dont want to jinx anything, but I do not see Machado going to the Padres. With everything that has been mentioned (tax rates, signing bonuses, etc..) I just dont see San Diego's offer being so much better than the White Sox. 

I do think that San Diego will make a really nice offer, but that would be a lot of money wrapped up in him and Hosmer. Plus, the Padres already have Urias, and will have Tatis on the way at some point this season. I dont think having those guys will stop San Diego from signing Machado, but I would think it would stop them from making a huge offer like 8-year, $280 million.

Hypocrite Lozano and MLBPA have been dead silent. It’s funny because Heyman and Nightengale where the ones called out by MLBPA or Lozano for reporting numbers. The same reporters bring up huge numbers from SD and not a word. So stupid

Edited by Orlando

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Hypocrite Lozano and MLBPA have been dead silent. It’s funny because Heyman and Nightengale where the ones called out by MLBPA or Lozano for reporting numbers. The same reporters bring up huge numbers from SD and not a word. So stupid

I was thinking the same thing. Where is the outrage? Oh wait...the 8/280 is probably him...

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

great point.. lozano using the insiders again

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Did we not see that coming? His lashout wasn't some altruistic crusade, he was trying to control the narrative himself.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres