Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, fathom said:

Completely plausible...I think I also just get irritated because Yoan doesn’t seem like he would be a good fit at 3rd. 

If they really want him to be more versatile though, they are going to want to give him reps at it before putting him in a game. 

I am not the biggest believer in this organizations competency, but I find it likely the sox indicated in the offseason to Moncada they wanted him to start flexing at 3rd in games, and created a plan for spring training.

If manny signed? Then you can split out the squads and get them both reps at 3rd. I assume there are multiple fields to work. If we signed Manny would they just not led rondon/madrigal practice? They were there today too.

11 minutes ago, iamshack said:

How do you know they’re not just doing this for show?

I don't know...I thought this maybe, but I think they are doing it because now is the time to do stuff like that.  Spring Training.  They understand they are putting their best foot forward and if it doesn't work out, they know they gave it everything.  But they will ultimately have a baseball team this year no matter what, so until Manny actually signs with them, they need to start making preparations for that 2019 baseball team.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Moncada playing 3b was something the White Sox have contemplated for awhile. And it's been discussed on this board several times. Machado isn't signed yet. Why are people freaking out over this? Maybe with some work, he's good over there. It won't hurt anything.

Spot on DA. The idea of Moncada being moved to third was first mentioned before the 2018 draft when it began to look like Madrigal would be available at #4. 

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I don't know...I thought this maybe, but I think they are doing it because now is the time to do stuff like that.  Spring Training.  They understand they are putting their best foot forward and if it doesn't work out, they know they gave it everything.  But they will ultimately have a baseball team this year no matter what, so until Manny actually signs with them, they need to start making preparations for that 2019 baseball team.  

Don't understand why this isn't the default reaction

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The board is weird with him because 1) I agree there is way too much assumption that he's gonna make it and moving a player in anticipation of him is nonsense but also 2) the board is way too certain on his ceiling and what type of player he'll be based on two months of baseball.

I think the second part may apply to every prospect ever haha.

We've had a lot of 2020 playoff chatter when we can't even come to a conclusion about our #3 pick overall last year. Or keep our top international prospect healthy (Robert). Or have our former #1 overall rated MLB prospects (Giolito and Moncada) perform at the MLB level. Or count on our 2017 draft choice to hit off more than a teeball tee (Burger) ... our or other top prospect to do more than soft toss from 10ft (Kopech).. or count on other top prospects to ever make an impact at the MLB level (Hansen/Fulmer) or count on our front office to make a signing over $68mm (Machado) ...

I agree and think we need to take 1 day at a time. I don't think this will be a smooth rebuild regardless if we sign Machado. Last year was a bumpy, bumpy road. Probably would grade the rebuild a 2 of 10 in terms of making progress. I want to see progress this year. Real progress.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I think the second part may apply to every prospect ever haha.

We've had a lot of 2020 playoff chatter when we can't even come to a conclusion about our #3 pick overall last year. Or keep our top international prospect healthy (Robert). Or have our former #1 overall rated MLB prospects (Giolito and Moncada) perform at the MLB level. Or count on our 2017 draft choice to hit off more than a teeball tee (Burger) ... our or other top prospect to do more than soft toss from 10ft (Kopech).. or count on other top prospects to ever make an impact at the MLB level (Hansen/Fulmer) or count on our front office to make a signing over $68mm (Machado) ...

I agree and think we need to take 1 day at a time. I don't think this will be a smooth rebuild regardless if we sign Machado. Last year was a bumpy, bumpy road. Probably would grade the rebuild a 2 of 10 in terms of making progress. I want to see progress this year. Real progress.

Can you please request a mod to change your screen name to “NegativeNancy” ?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres