Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I think the second part may apply to every prospect ever haha.

We've had a lot of 2020 playoff chatter when we can't even come to a conclusion about our #3 pick overall last year. Or keep our top international prospect healthy (Robert). Or have our former #1 overall rated MLB prospects (Giolito and Moncada) perform at the MLB level. Or count on our 2017 draft choice to hit off more than a teeball tee (Burger) ... our or other top prospect to do more than soft toss from 10ft (Kopech).. or count on other top prospects to ever make an impact at the MLB level (Hansen/Fulmer) or count on our front office to make a signing over $68mm (Machado) ...

I agree and think we need to take 1 day at a time. I don't think this will be a smooth rebuild regardless if we sign Machado. Last year was a bumpy, bumpy road. Probably would grade the rebuild a 2 of 10 in terms of making progress. I want to see progress this year. Real progress.

Said it before but if this year is the polar opposite of last year for development we would be world series champions next year. It was brutal, and we just have to hope we get positive regression.

• Like 2

Anyone sick of the Cubs and Yankees talk?  Both teams GMs say that are out on both Whales but the National Reporters love to get Cubs Spring Training quotes about both of them.  It would be fantastic if they would both just sign now so I can stop hearing the bullshit from the Northside and the East Coast Evil Empire.  

9 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Can you please request a mod to change your screen name to “NegativeNancy” ?

I remain bullish on sustained, consistent winning over the next decade. I also am in the minority that thinks that 2022 is an acceptable year for this to come together. (compete seriously for a WS).

Wins I expect and 100% okay with over the next 3 years: 2019- 77 wins, 2020 - 84 wins, 2021 - 88 wins. If we don't make the playoffs in 2021 I will still be happy with the progression as long as by that time JR is ready to open up his pocketbook for extensions, FA signings, and keeping the ball rolling FORWARD for the 5-7 year period following.

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Moncada playing 3b was something the White Sox have contemplated for awhile. And it's been discussed on this board several times. Machado isn't signed yet. Why are people freaking out over this? Maybe with some work, he's good over there. It won't hurt anything.

9 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I remain bullish on sustained, consistent winning over the next decade. I also am in the minority that thinks that 2022 is an acceptable year for this to come together. (compete seriously for a WS).

Wins I expect and 100% okay with over the next 3 years: 2019- 77 wins, 2020 - 84 wins, 2021 - 88 wins. If we don't make the playoffs in 2021 I will still be happy with the progression as long as by that time JR is ready to open up his pocketbook for extensions, FA signings, and keeping the ball rolling FORWARD for the 5-7 year period following.

I think year 6 is a bit long to make the playoffs on a rebuild when you had the trade assets the Sox did at the beginning and you only have to be in the top 3rd of the league to be playodd bound 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can’t embed, but unsure if this is a rumor or sourced

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnnyTrujillo1/status/1097526401098493953

Meh, it was posted at 10 am and no one important has hinted at anything like this that I’ve seen.... but if there was one team I’d be somewhat worried about it would be the Yanks

3 hours ago, TTSox22 said:

Would TA move to 2nd and Yoan to 3rd so Manny gets his SS?

I think that if Manny insists on playing SS or Sox scouts feel Manny showed an ability to stick at SS, this is a plausible and probably the best configuration.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think year 6 is a bit long to make the playoffs on a rebuild when you had the trade assets the Sox did at the beginning and you only have to be in the top 3rd of the league to be playodd bound 

It may be for some fans. But these are the same fans sitting on FOUR playoff wins since Reinsdorf took over (taking away one magical run in 2005 that we all will cherish for the rest of our life and bought us sanity for a decade). Past is a good indicator of future, and at this point the past isn't so hot.

Like it or not, outside the Mariners we have the longest playoff draught. Although I'd like to end that sooner than later, my expectation is that it won't happen.

21 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Also, not to add to that if JR signs Harper or Machado my expectations would be significantly more. I'd then take JR seriously that he wants to win, and win NOW. Which I think sets the wheels in motion to not have Manny Banuelos as your #5.

I still disagree with the win now part. One players in baseball doesn't turn a team around. They still need to stick to the rebuilding and bring the talented players up as they are ready. Machado will speed it up a little but they shouldn't abandon the plan and start signing mediocre players.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres