Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

This organization's idea of a plan is quite stupid. How did jerry reinsdorf ever become successful? 

by ripping people off. which is what he's been doing to sox fans for 35 years. lacing his pockets while we get strung along. he's got it down to a science.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Moncada does have good range but does not have the best hands or a great arm.

White Sox: Let's move him to third. :rolleyes:

I think he does actually have a very strong arm, it's just not high on the list of reasons to move him from one position to another.

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What else is he going to say right now? They can only really stick to their plan with the guys currently in camp.

Exactly.  They are preparing as though they don't have him because they don't have him!  If they lose out on signing Manny...that is awful.  But they can't really afford to lose Manny AND their Spring Training.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

What else is the team to say at this moment? They aren’t going to say yeah Machado is our starting 3B, he isn’t under contract yet and therefore are working with what is in camp right now

I don't understand why this is a line of thought. Whether or not Machado signs does not mean you need to move your very important part of the rebuild to 3rd and *downgrade* him to accommodate a guy that may *may* be a supersub on a contending team.

• Like 1

It’s spring training right now, where is Madrigal going to get reps at right now to even see if he has a shot this season on a big league roster, let moncada work on 3rd as a fail safe, give Madrigal reps at 2nd for the time being and move forward..... for all I care they could have Tim Anderson behind the plate right now...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't understand why this is a line of thought. Whether or not Machado signs does not mean you need to move your very important part of the rebuild to 3rd and *downgrade* him to accommodate a guy that may *may* be a supersub on a contending team.

Well I don't know what there is to understand exactly. They clearly think Moncada will move to 3B eventually so why not now in a year that doesn't matter? Whether you agree with that or not is a different argument.

I do agree with you that he should be at 2B though.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Jake said:

One thing that is interesting to wonder is what kind of signs there would be if we had basically withdrawn from the sweepstakes.

Right. Someone has pointed out we dont know what landing a big fish even looks like, but I know what it doesn't look like and it's a lot like this:

- Suddenly not being mentioned as the bidding for the free agent heats up

- Team moving starting 2b to 3rd and announcing its full time *for no reason*

- Other teams being labeled as "aggressive" in their pursuits.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

If the almighty Madrigal is what everyone says he is then he will be up here before we know it. Only way to find that out is by consistently playing him right now in spring training....all this is doing is seeing where the great Madrigal could possibly fit in

1 minute ago, bmags said:

My only thought would be Davidson's gone--we currently don't have a 3rd basemen--or at least we're down to Yolmer who I think they are looking at him as more of a super util.  Jake Berger is, well, on the mend for a while and we do have a good 2B who is working his way up.  Moncada has played 3rd before.  So he's being considered as a more permanent player there as long as we don't have Machado.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres