Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

It's providing some entertaining lunch reading for me at the very least. With how this off-season has gone, I don't know how anyone can take anything at face value right now.

And I completely get that not one rumor should be trusted. The two things that worry me the most the last 24 hours though are Moustakas not waiting for the Padres and Yoan at 3rd.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is some bullshit.  What a fucking clown show.  Hey let's fuck with Moncada!  Luckily everybody knows the MLB instruction and internal scouting  on this club is A+ so I'm sure the transition will go completely smoothly.  If the Sox think he's a 3B who am I to argue!

Would have rather seen him in CF.  Also remember last year when Madrigal was picked and posters said “don’t worry, they have multiple years before they would have to make positional changes”.  As balta said, it’s not shocking to see the Sox seemingly planning on rushing a draft pick.

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

I mean any way you cut it. This starting pitching staff belongs on a 60-70 win team. 

No doubt. In 2020 they will have kopech and Cease in it and it will look dramatically different. That's why this year is another rebuilding year even if they sign Machado.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

And I completely get that not one rumor should be trusted. The two things that worry me the most the last 24 hours though are Moustakas not waiting for the Padres and Yoan at 3rd.

Yoan has been practicing at 3rd all winter long like one of merkins tweets said, why not give him a shot at it in spring training in case you don’t land Machado?

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. In 2020 they will have kopech and Cease in it and it will look dramatically different. That's why this year is another rebuilding year even if they sign Machado.

I'm just curious as to how he'll sell free agents next year if they do miss out this year and go on to get another top 3 draft pick. I think it'll be much harder next year with 3 garbage seasons under our belt. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And Madrigal is better suited than Moncada.

We don't know that.  Right now he's a low A ball guy.  With this org's history there is nobody here that should expect him to develop into a solid MLB player, draft stock or not.

The Sox moving Moncada off 2B prematurely is par for the course tho.  They will prolly call up Madrigal in August when he's been hitting 220 in AA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

If we're being honest, he's probably better suited at SS than Tim 

Yeah, no. Anderson has gold glove tools at SS. There is no one else in the organization who should even be mentioned defensively with Timmy. Granted he has some work to do. but he has also made a lot of progress. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

We don't know that.  Right now he's a low A ball guy.  With this org's history there is nobody here that should expect him to develop into a solid MLB player, draft stock or not.

The Sox moving Moncada off 2B prematurely is par for the course tho.  They will prolly call up Madrigal in August when he's been hitting 220 in AA.

Madrigal will only be hitting .220 if he's hurt. In the minors his batting average is going to stay high because he will put the ball in play and the fielders won't be good enough to get him out. He'll be hitting .275 even if he's doing poorly, unless he's actually hurt. If he's doing "normal" he'll be hitting .300, but that .300 might translate poorly to the big leagues because even if you're good at putting the ball in play in the minors...here's Chris Sale good luck.

The thing to watch will be whether there's any punch in his numbers, the ground ball rates and the extra base hit rates. If he's hitting the ball with authority, line drives, in the gaps, piling up the 2b and 3b, then at least he'll have a shot.

It puts a lot of pressure for Yoan's bat to become great. 

If not, long term you have an average bat at third, an average bat at SS and hopefully an above average but low power bat at 2nd.

You'd need an OF that generates a lot of power. That ain't Lindor/Ramirez on the left side man.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or gut feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Edited by Mr. Showtime

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd rather move him now than 2 or 3 years down the road when you can't afford a hole defensively at 3B.

Just now, bmags said:

It puts a lot of pressure for Yoan's bat to become great. 

If not, long term you have an average bat at third, an average bat at SS and hopefully an above average but low power bat at 2nd.

You'd need an OF that generates a lot of power. That ain't Lindor/Ramirez on the left side man.

When Ramirez plays 2B, is there a better middle infield than those 2? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or got feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Moustakas is signing with the Brewers right?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres