Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm just curious as to how he'll sell free agents next year if they do miss out this year and go on to get another top 3 draft pick. I think it'll be much harder next year with 3 garbage seasons under our belt. 

Buy them with money. How did the Cubs sign Heyward after 5 straight losing seasons? If the minors produce good players the team will improve and they will get players to fill the holes.

Regardless if they get Machado, the team being a world series contender will depend on the players from the minors. This was the purpose of the rebuild. The team was garbage on purpose. Ma hado would just cover up for some of the prospects not reaching their potential.

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

When Ramirez plays 2B, is there a better middle infield than those 2? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

No that's great offensively. When they are SS and 3rd? Better competition there but ramirez man, he's amazing. Would love to watch that guy every summer and not be hurting my team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Madrigal will only be hitting .220 if he's hurt. In the minors his batting average is going to stay high because he will put the ball in play and the fielders won't be good enough to get him out. He'll be hitting .275 even if he's doing poorly, unless he's actually hurt. If he's doing "normal" he'll be hitting .300, but that .300 might translate poorly to the big leagues because even if you're good at putting the ball in play in the minors...here's Chris Sale good luck.

The thing to watch will be whether there's any punch in his numbers, the ground ball rates and the extra base hit rates. If he's hitting the ball with authority, line drives, in the gaps, piling up the 2b and 3b, then at least he'll have a shot.

I agree with a lot of this.  The point is that Madrigal has a long ass way to go to prove he can maintain a good slash line even in the high minors.  We'll see what happens when pitchers with control that can also knock the bat out of his hands start facing him.  He's a nice prospect, but I think the Fangraphs valuation is way high on him.  I'm closer to Keith Law (ugh) on Madrigal.  Solid B guy, not A- or so like Fangraphs has him.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Are the Padres a few years away even if they land Manny like the Sox? If so, why would they feel compelled to sign Moustakas either way? I could see the Phillies grabbing him as a back up option if they still needed someone at 3rd. 

You had the tweet earlier about Manny and the Yankees as well and Simenotti claims talk or gut feeling he still goes to NY. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Manny does go to SD but I'm not sure Moustakas is the lynch pin.

Agreed. If this off season has shown anything it's that teams that ready ready to compete aren't going to sign mediocre  free agents. They are going to tank and ride the kids to see what they have.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Buy them with money. How did the Cubs sign Heyward after 5 straight losing seasons? If the minors produce good players the team will improve and they will get players to fill the holes.

Regardless if they get Machado, the team being a world series contender will depend on the players from the minors. This was the purpose of the rebuild. The team was garbage on purpose. Ma hado would just cover up for some of the prospects not reaching their potential.

The Cubs were coming off an NLCS appearance when they signed heyward

• Like 2

Just now, bmags said:

No that's great offensively. When they are SS and 3rd? Better competition there but ramirez man, he's amazing. Would love to watch that guy every summer and not be hurting my team.

Maybe that's the Cleveland hater in me speaking, but Lindor and Ramirez strike me as guys who profited the most from the juiced ball next to Mookie Betts.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Moustakas is signing with the Brewers right?

My post didn't go through. My point more or less was I don't get how Moustakas going back to the Brewers means Manny is going to the Padres. If he got 1 year and 10 million from the Brewers, why would the Padres a team who seems to be a year or two away sign him? 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Maybe that's the Cleveland hater in me speaking, but Lindor and Ramirez strike me as guys who profited the most from the juiced ball next to Mookie Betts.

Everyone is playing with it. Same advantage for everyone yet not everyone is putting up those numbers.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, ChiSox9 said:

It is just sad looking at the trend for Attendance and then knowing if they have difficulties converting one of the two it could be even worse for 2019.  When the league average is 2.1M and you are 500K below that it is a sad sad day.  

This is why they were reluctant to do a true rebuild. Everyone knew this would happen. Most on this board were all for it but now everyone is jumping off the rebuild ship because they may not sign a high price free agent.

1 minute ago, Mr. Showtime said:

My post didn't go through. My point more or less was I don't get how Moustakas going back to the Brewers means Manny is going to the Padres. If he got 1 year and 10 million from the Brewers, why would the Padres a team who seems to be a year or two away sign him? 

Right. I don't think the 2 should be connected. But I'm pretty sure the Padres and Moustakas have been linked for most of the off-season.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

The Cubs were coming off an NLCS appearance when they signed heyward

Right. They built  the team into a competitive team then signed the free agent. Except for lester, they built through the minors not signing FA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right. I don't think the 2 should be connected. But I'm pretty sure the Padres and Moustakas have been linked for most of the off-season.

I use this site and Twitter to get rumors most of the time. Maybe they thought his price would be low? Maybe if he is a Boras guy they thought of a package deal to try and help get Bryce? I get that until the Sox land him we should all be skeptical that it will happen, I just don't think that one thing means a lot.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is why they were reluctant to do a true rebuild. Everyone knew this would happen. Most on this board were all for it but now everyone is jumping off the rebuild ship because they may not sign a high price free agent.

If they're not going to sign a high dollar guy now when the conditions are perfect, they never will. They would be relying almost entirely on developing talent from within which won't work.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Everyone is playing with it. Same advantage for everyone yet not everyone is putting up those numbers.

I agree with you, but these two would have been described as having warning track power just 10 years ago and would have been blasted for trying to hit homers.

Ramirez more so than Lindor. Ramirez ranked 254th in average HR distance.

edit: If you look at the batted ball statistics, even with a juiced ball, Ramirez hitting close to 40 HRs was pretty flukey.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jose-ramirez-608070?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Edited by GermanSoxFan

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Right. They built  the team into a competitive team then signed the free agent. Except for lester, they built through the minors not signing FA.

Well that's not entirely true. Without Arrieta, Lester, Fowler, Castro they wouldn't have been a particularly good team until the next season. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If they're not going to sign a high dollar guy now when the conditions are perfect, they never will. They would be relying almost entirely on developing talent from within which won't work.

If you can't outbid the Padres when literally all of the stars align in your favor...

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres