Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

12 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Can you post that letter here?

The  day Hahn is gone I will write JR a letter requesting a interview to be the White Sox GM. And yes I will notify everybody on this site and I will post the letter here.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I mean nothing get me more excited than seeing your obama white sox hat profile picture light up my notifications 💜 . My love for you is eternal 

This is endearing and only slightly weird...this thread needs to be put in one of those 50 year time capsules for preservation, so that future generations can understand and appreciate baseball (everything but owners and sports agents.)

33 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Page 776. Can Manny sign so we can have our Declaration of Independence?

So Moncada taking balls at third was our response to Machado possibly not signing? Why not just leave Sanchez at third?

Here's a possibility I haven't heard anyone mention: what if Moncada playing 3B is so that they can offer Manny SS as a final enticement?  (What would happen to TA?  I have no idea.)  And, NO, I'm not saying I like that idea but we are in White Sox bizarro world now, so who knows.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but maybe the motivation to tell the press that Yoan is going to play 3rd is the Sox trying to make Lozano think they are going to focus on pursuing Harper instead of Manny?

I'll defend this front office and give them a chance as much as anyone, but there's no denying that Machado was the biggest goal of the offseason based on the Alonso/Jay acquisitions. Those moves make no sense in any other context, especially Alonso. This front office loses the benefit of the doubt with me if they do not convert or suddenly improve by twenty wins this year. 

The thing about Yoan switching to third is that Madrigal has done nothing to have to "clear room" for him. Again, I like to hope on our guys as much as anyone but moving Yoan now to get him used to third when we call up Madrigal makes no sense at all for a guy that hasn't even proven a thing in A ball. I hope Nick works out but the notion that you get Yoan used to third now for a guy who hasn't even hit Birmingham is a bunch of malarkey to me. If that's really what we're doing then I worry way more about whatever the hell we are trying to do as an organization as before.

I'm also still not willing to say we're out on Machado, but there's no reason for me - even if we don't get Manny - to worry about moving Yoan now. Which is why part of me thinks (hopes) its just a stunt.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'd feel better about the move of Moncada to 3b if they also announced that Anderson was taking reps at catcher.

Just heard the entire Renteria quote on WGN. He said, don't surprised if you seem him start at 3rd opening day. This will create more flexibility and be better for him and the team if he can move around.

Just now, RTC said:

Here's a possibility I haven't heard anyone mention: what if Moncada playing 3B is so that they can offer Manny SS as a final enticement?  (What would happen to TA?  I have no idea.)  And, NO, I'm not saying I like that idea but we are in White Sox bizarro world now, so who knows.

We're accusing a front office of playing four dimensional chess that hasn't proven it can play checkers yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I'll defend this front office and give them a chance as much as anyone, but there's no denying that Machado was the biggest goal of the offseason based on the Alonso/Jay acquisitions. Those moves make no sense in any other context, especially Alonso. This front office loses the benefit of the doubt with me if they do not convert or suddenly improve by twenty wins this year. 

The thing about Yoan switching to third is that Madrigal has done nothing to have to "clear room" for him. Again, I like to hope on our guys as much as anyone but moving Yoan now to get him used to third when we call up Madrigal makes no sense at all for a guy that hasn't even proven a thing in A ball. I hope Nick works out but the notion that you get Yoan used to third now for a guy who hasn't even hit Birmingham is a bunch of malarkey to me. If that's really what we're doing then I worry way more about whatever the hell we are trying to do as an organization as before.

I'm also still not willing to say we're out on Machado, but there's no reason for me - even if we don't get Manny - to worry about moving Yoan now. Which is why part of me thinks (hopes) its just a stunt.

I don't think it is a stunt, I think the Sox are about as high on Madrigal as BP is. They believe him to be a top 20 prospect in the game. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

We're accusing a front office of playing four dimensional chess that hasn't proven it can play checkers yet.

True but it’s still a possibility. The Sox are going to pull out all the stops and go down swinging as Hahn said before. They might be trying everything. 

1 hour ago, heirdog said:

4 quotes from Hahn need rehashing at this point:

1) “we’ve planned for this off season”

2) “we absolutely belong at the table”

3) “we will go down swinging”

4) quoted Theo or Friedman (I believe): “will never sign free agent if sensible about it”

so where do we stand:

1) focused on top 2 prizes and reputable sources say still in it for both

2) they are still at the table despite all the rumors of “stupid money”, “rounding third”, other teams’ “multiple meetings” in last month

3) currently still swinging as they are still in it...even if planted rumors of other higher offers are true

4) they knew 10/325+ expectations of top 2 coming in and still pursued aggressively and in what seems like a depressed market, might even make sense to keep hat in for both, throwing “financial sensibility” to the wind.

Given that this is a "depressed" market and teams like the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers are not actively involved in these free agents, it would very disapointing  if they get outbid by the Padres (in particular). The Phillies are a big market club. They are probably not going to be outbid, but to be outdone by SD would make many question (assuming the offer is close to what is being rumored) the Sox committment to landing a big fish.

They may still make a few moves as a reaction to not getting one of these two that will make the team better, but let's be honest.  Here's the perception - IF they don't land one of these, the Sox are not major players for premium free agent talent and are even more dependent on the rebuild working within the 2-3 window before it becomes too expensive for them.

Can someone with FS please interview Madrigal and quickly determine if anyone's talking to him about playing SS still, or they're 100% set on him getting most of his reps at 2B?

So we have a 1B who should be DH, a DH who should be 1B, a 2B who could be elite there moving to 3B (where his biggest advantage, range is negated...and biggest disadvantage, hands/glove to throwing motion transfers is amplified), a Gold Glove-caliber (if only better concentration) SS moving to CF and a future Gold Glove 2B playing SS and we wonder what's wrong with the Sox.

Not to mention Palka in RF and Jimenez in LF.  The only other solid defender (Engel) gives encouragement to middle schoolers referred to as Punch & Judy hitters.  (Unless you count Leury and Yolmer, who can never seem to convince everyone they're everyday players.)

2 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Given that this is a "depressed" market and teams like the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers are not actively involved in these free agents, it would very disapointing  if they get outbid by the Padres (in particular). The Phillies are a big market club. They are probably not going to be outbid, but to be outdone by SD would make many question (assuming the offer is close to what is being rumored) the Sox committment to landing a big fish.

They may still make a few moves as a reaction to not getting one of these two that will make the team better, but let's be honest.  Here's the perception - IF they don't land one of these, the Sox are not major players for premium free agent talent and are even more dependent on the rebuild working within the 2-3 window before it becomes too expensive for them.

It all depends on what the final contract is. If they offer him 8 for 300 I'm not sure I would blame them. If its 8 for 250, JR better stay in Arizona.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Can someone with FS please interview Madrigal and quickly determine if anyone's talking to him about playing SS still, or they're 100% set on him getting most of his reps at 2B?

So we have a 1B who should be DH, a DH who should be 1B, a 2B who could be elite there moving to 3B (where his biggest advantage, range is negated...and biggest disadvantage, hands/glove to throwing motion transfers is amplified), a Gold Glove-caliber (if only better concentration) SS moving to CF and a future Gold Glove 2B playing SS and we wonder what's wrong with the Sox.

Not to mention Palka in RF and Jimenez in LF.  The only other solid defender (Engel) gives encouragement to middle schoolers referred to as Punch & Judy hitters.  (Unless you count Leury and Yolmer, who can never seem to convince everyone they're everyday players.)

They're moving Anderson to CF?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres