Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

Yes because that’s the position the Sox are in. They’re not the Yankees where they can tie and land a top player

They also aren't the Yankmees where they will support a 200 million dollar payroll. I get wanting him but it's not an "at any cost" situation.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny: Multiple teams would like him to play baseball for them
7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They also aren't the Yankmees where they will support a 200 million dollar payroll. I get wanting him but it's not an "at any cost" situation.

Then you are accepting that they’ll never land a FA onpar with Harper or Machado. It will never be more perfect for us than what is happening with limited interest among teams and two premiere players being available to split interest

I am on board with at any costs for either one of those two. If we miss out, then what? Wait for Arenado or Trout? Continue doing what we’re doing and scrape up the 2nd/3rd tier FAs? 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It’s not an “at any cost” situation but it’s pretty close.  The Sox don’t need to become the place that no free agents want to go like the Bulls.  Rick Hahn has been telling us, the fans, that they have been planning for this offseason for awhile.  Now it’s time to put up and land a whale or shut up.

Edited by Machado2Sox

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I find it interesting how Rosenthal mentions nothing about the Sox ownership in that tweet. Maybe Jerry really is prepared to pay what it will take to get him.

My cynical side interprets Rosenthal's tweet as: White Sox have improved their offer, now it's your turn Phillies and Padres. Thanks Dan Lozano.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Then you are accepting that they’ll never land a FA onpar with Harper or Machado. It will never be more perfect for us than what is happening with limited interest among teams and two premiere players being available to split interest

I am on board with at any costs for either one of those two. If we miss out, then what? Wait for Arenado or Trout? Continue doing what we’re doing and scrape up the 2nd/3rd tier FAs? 

Exactly.  There are two 26 year old Hall of Famers available for nothing but money.  Let’s be honest.  The Sox have no prayer at landing Trout.  Arenado will be older than both Harper and Machado when he hits free agency.  He will be 29 at the beginning of the 2020 season after he signs.  People act like the Sox will have another shot at two young future Hall of Famers.  I’m not seeing it...  the fact is that there will never be a better time than now to spend big money on one of these two top free agents.

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree. Their actions including keeping payroll free, tanking, etc have made it an “at any cost” play. There’s no viable plan B. They’ve put themselves in this situation. 

Let's go. Front load 2019-2021...let him be sold on the White Sox rebuild before the possible strike in 2022. This thing is almost over. Once they're playing games next week, players will know it's go time. Agents can only do so much...players will start forcing the issue next week.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres